Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will an 8spd cassette fit on a 7spd freehub?
  • Padowan
    Free Member

As it says on the tin…

Got a 7spd cassette (Shimano) on my retro road bike and it needs replacing. Was thinking whether I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to 8spd while I'm at it (well aware that I'd need new shifters). So would I need to replace the freehub body too to accomodate the 8spd cassette?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No.

8/9sp is interchangeable, but not 8 on a 7.

7sp cassettes are ridiculously cheap mind…. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member
    Padowan
    Free Member

I just this minute found the Sheldon Brown link. Probably looks like I'm gonna stick with a retro 14speed machine – although I think that implies I have to stick with down-tube shifters as all the STI ones seem to be 8+ speed…

StirlingCrispin

How old is the hub?

For the last decade or more (since 1998 or so) almost all hubs have been wide enough to cope with 8-speed. A 7-spd cassette fits with the aid of a simple spacer.

Padowan
    Free Member

Hub is probably about a 1990 vintage, a Shimano 1055 from the age before STI shifters were available!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Was 1055 not 8s IIRC?

1990 though, second year of hyperglide, 7s most likely.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You can get away with 8 speed STIs on a 7 speed set up.

oldgit
    Free Member

And 8 speed Campag Ergos shift 7 speed, same spacing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Change the freehub body for an 8spd one? Used to be able to do this with older hubs. Its only a couple of mm wider at most.

coatesy
    Free Member

As said above, you could change the freehub body and alter the hub spacers/dishing to compensate, I did quite a few many years back when some dick working on our stand at the bike show sold a load of 7sp wheels as 8sp.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will an 8spd cassette fit on a 7spd freehub?’ is closed to new replies.