Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • WIll a 105 shifter / brake shift an XTR rear mech?
  • scandalous
    Free Member

I am assuming yes, but sometimes assumption can lead to a complete **** up!

Currently have a 105 rear mech but will need a mech that can accommodate a 11-32T rear cassette and the 105 is rated to only 28T.

Thank you!

wiggles
    Free Member

Not tried it but was told before you can’t mix the shimano road/MTB stuff.

scandalous
    Free Member

bollops.

that’s pants!

mboy
    Free Member

If it’s a 9spd XTR mech, then you’ll be fine.

Problems with mixing road and MTB Shimano kit only occurred when 10spd MTB stuff came about and had a different cable pull ratio.

scotroutes

Shimano: A 10-speed 105 shifter will work with a 9-speed MTB mech on a 10-speed MTB cassette

scandalous
    Free Member

bonkers but thank you!

mboy
    Free Member

Oh, and a 5700 105 short cage mech is fine up to 30T cogs on the back, and a medium cage 105 mech will handle up to a 32T, so you don’t need to go to an MTB mech if you don’t mind buying a new one.

scandalous
    Free Member

*head spins!*

Cool – will look to swop out for a medium cage.

Thank you!

scaredypants

Wot drewy scotroutes said – 9sp mechs work just fine with STIs up to at least 10sp, but mboy’s advice may mean it’s irrelevant for you.

cvilla

Yes I have an old-ish set 9sp 105 flght levers and have used 9sp XTR rear mech, as you say to get a larger cassette for Pyrennes duties when touring, so yes it can work. Actually my XTR is still on the bike as it works:)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘WIll a 105 shifter / brake shift an XTR rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.