Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Will 170mm travel Lyriks ruin my Pitch Pro?
  • jonjones262
    Free Member

Hiya,

As title really..

Yes?

No?

Maybe ?

Ring TfTuned?

I’ve been looking for 160’s which should be fine, but there’s some 170’s going cheap.

Is it just the geometry that could be messed up?

Is it only triple crown forks that used to snap frames that weren’t built for them?

Thanks for answering my silly questions 🙂

sv

Pitch frames are warrantied to 160mm, another 10mm shouldn’t make too much of a difference. They run nicely at 160mm 🙂

jonjones262
    Free Member

Cheers for your help

What would 170’s do that would affect the warranty?

sv

Potentially rip the head tube off, more leverage than say 140s.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Longer forks, slightly more leverage, encourage harder riding.

Have a check on the model, some (if not all) Lyriks can have the travel reduced internally (and simply) from 170 to 160.

jonjones262
    Free Member

YIKES!! not really want I want to happen

these are what I’m looking at;

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/25290/RockShox_Lyrik_Coil_Maxle_Lite_Forks_2010

sv

Nice fork, I have 160 Lyriks on mine and it’s find but then I don’t do massive drops/jumps/major DH. I am planning on extending the uturn spring with a spacer on the bottom of the spring so mine will be 125-170.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

You won’t rip your headtube off in a month of Sundays. Worked in the bike trade for years and it so rarely happens, but your bike will not go up hills in a straight line. A mate of mine has 160mm domains on a pitch and it’s sweet in a really burly, slack way but near uncontrollable uphill without him usng the Uturn to wind them right down.

grum
    Free Member

I have 160s on mine and it’s a bit wandery on climbs but not ridiculous IMO. I don’t think the 170s are going to kill the frame but definitely will void any warranty. Sometimes I think my bike is a bit silly for the UK riding I do (mostly Lakes rocky stuff) but it’s ace coming downhill and especially for the Alps/Pyrenees.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The frame will be fine but I wouldn’t. I had 160mm floats on mine and it felt too floppy and long compared to my then MK1 Evil Sov.

The 160 feels great when ripping DH, of any gradient they just ncourage hooliganism. But for riding along or up a fixed travel fork of that length really don’t work well with with a pitch unless you only use it for gravity based riding.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Jon go for it, I just bought them very forks for my enduro. I’ve been runnning 160 lyrik uturns for years, I found that the bike climbed better not locked out on single track but can be tough on fire roads etc. you’ll never be the quickest up hill but you’ll be very happy going down!

One other tip is go for a 200 x 2.25 rear shock as it’ll give you an extra 10mm on the rear too.

vinnyeh

Adding one internal spacer will knock the travel down by 10mm
    Two spacers will reduce it to 150mm.

So don’t worry about the geometry.
    Or the travel really- the biggest difference won’t come from another 10 or 20mm travel, it’ll come from better damping (if the old forks are crap) and increased stiffness..

Bagstard
    Free Member

Buy the forks, but reduce to 160 or 150 or as said above they are hard work on climbs and will raise the bb a bit much. I ran 160mm on mine, but would have wound them down for long climbs if I had the option, 150mm is probably the sweet spot for all round use.

sv

One other tip is go for a 200 x 2.25 rear shock as it’ll give you an extra 10mm on the rear too.

They are 200 x 57 as standard.

jonjones262
    Free Member

I ended up going for some 160mm Lyriks. 🙂

Thanks for all the info.

These popped up for sale the same day I posted this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fsswap-lyric-u-turns

Great timing

ParecelForce website says they’re landing on Tuesday 🙂 🙂 🙂

Got one of the 1 degree slackening headsets on the way too. Bike’s going to be fun 🙂

Enough 🙂 ‘s in this post?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Will 170mm travel Lyriks ruin my Pitch Pro?’ is closed to new replies.