Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • wild camping in the lake district?
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

I know it is illegal to wild camp but it is generally tolerated if you are discrete. In the lake district most of the forests are owned by the national trust but does anyone know any forests that i am able to camp in in the lake district?

charliedontsurf

when we rode one speeds from dorset to Aviemore for SSWC07, we asked about at the tourist info for a nearby campsite, she suggested a further 30 miles to one round the other side of the mountain. I said where does that path across the road go? She said you cant camp there… so we did and it was lovely.

Just get well off the beaten track,
    be low profile
    dont use a tent unless you need to
    no fires
    Forrestry commission land is safest, as they dont get up at 4am with a shotgun.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Isn’t a general rule of thumb that more than half a days walk from anywhere and you’re fine?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Saw a few tents about near Helvellyn 2 weeks back, so I would assume it might be tolerated. Low profile obviously makes more sense. Used to do it in the Brecon Beacons, never had any issues.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve wild camped in the Lakes loads. Never had a problem

fubar
    Free Member

We were asked to move on from Helvellyn many years ago…think it was about 6am and we would have been going soon anyhow. Also had ‘police’ boat ask us to move on as we were camping on a small isalnd on lake windermere. But other times (perhaps 10 times) no problem….just don’t pitch until nearing sunset (unless weather is a problem) and expect to be off early next day

pennine
    Free Member

I’ve camped high all over the lake district since the 70s without any problems (much better than the woods imo)

Unless something has changed in the last few years 😥

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve always found wild camping is best higher up in the proper hills, not in the woods. There are plenty of places in the Lake District that are good for it. Google lake district wild camping and you’ll find loads of tips.

Joe

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Angle tarn (Boredale Hause)is a great place 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

yep. Some good advice here.

I like to use a dark green tent to be discrete
    Camp above the line of the intake wall
    Finding a flat, discrete area with reasonable access to water can be tricky – scour your maps.
    Tarns are pretty but they are popular as they have flat areas nearby.
    Woods tend to be too boggy and midgy, but I expect there are exceptions
    Be good about concealing and burying poo

polarisandy
    Free Member

Or just bivvy if it’s an option.

oxnop
    Free Member

Side of stickle tarn (pavey ark) is lovely. Every time ive camped up there we havnt been alone. Set up camp around dusk & leave early and you’ll be fine.

grumm
    Free Member

Some people took a novel approach to wild camping this winter just gone in the Lakes and built an igloo – I kid you not!

But yeah as said, camp high, pitch your tent late and take it down early and you will be fine.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a look at the Priest Hole on Dove Crag..
    Its an awesome little cave..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘wild camping in the lake district?’ is closed to new replies.