Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wild camping at Y Garn, Snowdonia
  • RicB

We're off wild camping in a couple of weeks. Camping in the Idwel valley so the obvious route is Tryfan, Glyders, Devils Kitchen and camp at Lyn Idwel.

Apparently Lyn Idwel can be very busy with wild campers (which kind of spoils it a little) during August so I'm wondering about Lyn Clyd on Y Garn instead. Looks more secluded and has running water.

Anyone wild camped there?

stever
    Free Member

It's on my list to have a look. Might be a touch marshy, not sure. Would be a great spot though.

Ewan
    Free Member

We did a bunch of the 3000s earlier in the year. Bivied here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=261135&y=357604&z=115&sv=261135,357604&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=650&ax=261135&ay=357604&lm=0

Was fine, water from the river or from the various springs. There is a stone wall that hides you from the road / houses and there is a bit of brush wood around for a (small!) fire, together with a bunch of flat rocks to sit it on.

trailertrash

Just so you know, it's Idwal not Idwel and Llyn Idwal not Lyn Idwel. "y" is pronounced "uh" and "f"'s are pronounced "v". "Ll" is like an "l" but with a little air allowed to pass round the sides and bottom of your tongue creating a sort of low wet sizzle. Nice huh? No, not really. The locals will be far more welcoming for a bit of correct pronunciation, trust me.

try here

150m north west of the boggy bit around Llyn Y Cwn (accent missing, pronounced "koon") at the top of Devil's Kitchen on the drier area before the slope up to Y Garn starts would be a lovely place to camp.

Hope you have a nice time.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Here try this GR 615555 map #115 just of the side of Crib Gich, there are 2 small tarns, camped there many years ago, it was rather spectacular, you access it from the Snowdon railway or Grib y Ddysgi via Clogwyn Person, its steep but well worth the camp

RicB

Cheers guys, esp trailertrash (pmsl!)

I looked at Cwn but was put off by the reports of unpleasant bogs all around it.

I can always check it out on the way to Clyd and it would mean Y Garn can be used as a nice easy walk on Sunday.

-m-
    Free Member

I've camped on the mini peninsula that sticks out into Llyn Clyd. It was a bit stony as I recall, but a very imposing place to camp – surrounded by Y Garn.

I've seen others camped around Llyn Clyd on other occasions when I've been passing through, so you're probably not guaranteed solitude on an August weekend.

rocket
    Free Member

I've camped at Llyn y Cwn – a lovely spot to wake up. Also Llyn Caseg-fraith other side of the Glyders – between Glyder Fach and Y Foel Goch. You'll have to hunt around for a non marshy spot – they are there – and bring water unless you're going to purify lake water. Great views of Tryfan. Theres also a couple of lovely spots with epic views over the snowdon range on the way up Glyder Fach from Y Foel Goch side. Its all lovely up there – I'm jealous – although I'm off up to the Lakes in October so can't complain too much

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping at Y Garn, Snowdonia’ is closed to new replies.