Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • wild camping and the law?
  • scruzer
    Free Member

My bro told me today its no longer legal to do this in England, (since the Right To Roam act ). I thought we could anywhere above a certain altitude (300m?). What’s the score folks?

mrmo
    Free Member

don’t get caught.

I would guess as there has never been a right in England you need the landowners permission.

ampthill

I thought that apart from Dartmoor it was not legal in England

However I think it is tolerated in high remote area like the lakes. It is part of the assessement for various walk leader qailifications.

But then only for the night. Its not OK to leave your tent up for a few days. Although I have done this and had no problems.

There is loads on this on Outdoor magic

Flapjack
    Free Member

Legal on Dartmoor as long as you don’t camp in the same place for two nights running.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if it was even legal in Scotland (prior to the new leg., if that changes things)

druidh
    Free Member

Al – the “new” legislation wasn’t about introducing any new rights, it was designed to codify existing ones. IMHO, the wild camping bit was cocked up, hence the need to introduce by-laws at the likes of Loch Lomond.

large418
    Free Member

Not legal in most places, but if you do it properly noone will ever know. Pitch late, leave early and leave no trace. And try not to have a bright yellow 6 man dome tent

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Al – the “new” legislation wasn’t about introducing any new rights, it was designed to codify existing ones.

It definitely introduced significant new rights!

Macavity
    Free Member

No officer I am not doing any poaching, I am… er.. Wild camping.

Everywhen
    Free Member

Snowdonia National Park Ranger told me and a couple of mates, after we’d come down after a night s wild camping, that it was illegal to do it in England and Wales but not Scotland.
    However he then said provided you don’t use a bright Red or Orange tent, camp late, strike camp early, and don’t leave a mess he’s not going to stop anyone. He then invited us to this office to look at his map and show us his favourite places to camp for the next time we were in the area.

scruzer
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Needing the land owners permission sounds true, but would we ever get hold of them? Most being absent and multi- millionaires!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

druidh – Member
    Al – the “new” legislation wasn’t about introducing any new rights, it was designed to codify existing ones.

It definitely introduced significant new rights!

Really? What new rights?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Is wild camping changing in Scotlandshire? I know they were on about bother around loch Lomand and a bylaw but is the rest still ok by the old rules?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TheBrick.

Its fine – it is as its always been – rules on the MCofS site ( which is a decent guide for low impact camping for English use)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Few! Yep I’ve read the MCofS guide and have wild camped several times in England and Scotland, even in the crowded S.E of Englandshire, I just like the fact that in Scotalndshire I don’t have to worry aboubt being as perfectly hidden.

billyboulders
    Free Member

I don’t think it is “legal” even on Dartmoor but is tolerated if you stick to the NPA guidelines. As flapjack rightly says, no more than a two night stay. Out of sight of houses, not on enclosed land, small groups, at least 75 metres from the nearest road, no open fires and a few more I can’t think of off the top of my head. I wild-camp alot on Dartmoor and have done throughout the UK over a period of many years and have always been OK. Large 418’s advice is spot on, arrive late, leave early and leave no trace.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘wild camping and the law?’ is closed to new replies.