Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Wiki Blackout
  • derekrides
    Free Member

Anyone tried wiki this morning?

It’s on a blackout, I just followed that Scott link on the Bowers thread…

donsimon
    Free Member

All because…..Of this.

Jamie
    Free Member

It should be noted that SOPA looks like it has been nuked from orbit, but Protect IP is still in the works.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you have permission to post that, Jamie? 🙁

joao3v16
    Free Member

The only ‘impact’ will be that students can’t copy and paste from wikipedia for their essays. Other than that, for the sake of a few hours, who gives a monkeys.

derekrides
    Free Member

It’s not so much the withdrawal of the resource, it’s the reason for it, at first I thought it was a bit draconian, it also highlights that what we have come to regard as a part of life is still able to be withdrawn on the whim of one person.

So all that work by all those people can be withdrawn if something pisses the man off, does in itself seem a bit bizarre.

Like closing public libraries because the council don’t agree with something that may or may not be going through parliament.

Bimbler
    Free Member

If you need it it’s all still there, just “View Page Source” (In FF) and you can see the page with all the HTML and ting.

wwaswas

just hit ‘escape’ as soon as the page loads and before it switches to the blackout view if you’re desparate to plagarise soemthign for your homework/work today.

derekrides
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    if you’re desparate to plagarise soemthign for your homework today

Er how old do I come across as?

In fact how old are you then?

Not generally that I’m particularly ageist but I do sometimes wonder what the average age is here..

gohan
    Free Member

I think you might have missed the point of the sopa and pipa bills slightly,they are the reason for the blackout of not just wikipedia, its nothing to do with students not being able to do their homework its to do with the american government trying to pass a bill that will give them the power to put up a firewall like China’s effectively censoring the internet for U.S. citizens, now im not an american but if it goes through and at some point it will in some form, the americans will grab Cameron, put him back in his gimp suit and tell him to do the same, the sopa and pipa bills threaten any website which is deemed to be breaching copy right no matter how small with instant removal from the web with out due process or right of appeal,

spacemonkey

iPhone app still works.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

you could just turn javascript off in your browser.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Use the Google cache if you really need to view the page.

ziggy
    Free Member

Please won’t somebody think of the children TJ.

donsimon
    Free Member

the sopa and pipa bills threaten any website which is deemed to be breaching copy right no matter how small with instant removal from the web with out due process or right of appeal,

So, does this mean that the US govt can close down sites that contain controversial original material?

zokes
    Free Member

So, does this mean that the US govt can close down sites that contain controversial original material?

Isn’t STW hosted stateside?

derekrides
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    the sopa and pipa bills threaten any website which is deemed to be breaching copy right no matter how small with instant removal from the web with out due process or right of appeal,

You’d think they invented the web the way they carry on..

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“and what was over there… is over here…”

George Michael – Praying For Time

donsimon
    Free Member

Excellent, that’s answered that question. 🙄 In a typical STW manner… 😆

TheFlyingOx

Are there more sites going “black”?
    Only ones I can current access are STW and Pistonheads ❓

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Reddit and Boing Boing are going to black out aswell.

wwaswas

derekrides – why did you remove the ‘/work’ from what I’d typed when you quoted it?

very selective quoting to support a nonsense argument = early teens?

Jamie
    Free Member

Reddit

Oh noez! My memes!

….only for 12 hours though.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Reddit is my life as a student 😆

derekrides
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    derekrides – why did you remove the ‘/work’ from what I’d typed when you quoted it?

very selective quoting to support a nonsense argument = early teens?

Cool. Aren’t you a bit old to be posting on a forum like this, can you still ride a bike?

rOcKeTdOg

Flickr has a voluntary blackout

wwaswas

Aren’t you a bit old to be posting on a forum like this

45 and work in IT – I’d say I was pretty much bang on for demographic of stw

can you still ride a bike?

I’m not sure I ever could, really.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the only websites that by shutting down for X amount of hours would have an impact and draw attention to the bill would be facebook and twitter at the same time.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wikipedia is the 6th biggest website in the world, so it’s not insignificant Phil.

Saying that, Twitter is not going down anytime soon…well apart from the usual outages.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m not doubting wiki’s significance, i just think that facebook and twitter would have a bigger impact 🙂

EDIT, wouldn’t america censoring the internet go against its own obsession with free speech?

Jamie
    Free Member

I dunno, I am not on Facebook, so it vanishing would have little impact on me.

donsimon
    Free Member

EDIT, wouldn’t america censoring the internet go against its own obsession with free speech?

This is my point, it’s not censorship, is it? It’s the prevention of copyright theft. You can introduce any controversial topic you want under free speech rules. What you can’t do is copy this work without permission.
    So it is nowhere near the likes of China.

philconsequence
    Free Member

equally, i’m not on wikki 😛

facebook and twitter are pretty much built into phones nowadays so the reach would be wider than those accessing a PC/laptop to go search wikki

coffeeking
    Free Member

the only websites that by shutting down for X amount of hours would have an impact and draw attention to the bill would be facebook and twitter at the same time.

Actually I’d say wiki, reddit and a few others that are are fairly influential, maybe not to the adults amongst us, but to the teens and early 20’s – probably those most likely to kick up a fuss about internet freedoms.

TheFlyingOx

This is my point, it’s not censorship, is it? It’s the prevention of copyright theft. You can introduce any controversial topic you want under free speech rules. What you can’t do is copy this work without permission.
    So it is nowhere near the likes of China.

Thing is, it’s the way the SOPA laws are written that people are pissed off about. Not what they’re intended to prevent. This is the problem with having people with no idea how the internet works (it’s a series of tubes, right?) in charge of drafting laws that affect the internet.

philconsequence
    Free Member

coffeeking… point well made 🙂

ziggy
    Free Member

Don’t cry, disney own the rights to that emotion

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvXo4sGB7zM[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

No need for particularly awkward antics – just add “?banner=none” to the end of the Wiki URL.

donsimon
    Free Member

No problems here, opens right up.

Cougar

A few others that I’m aware of,

The Oatmeal, in their inimitable style,
    http://www.theoatmeal.com/sopa

Cyanide & Happiness
    http://www.explosm.net/sopa.html

Schlock Mercenary(‘s blog):
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/content-blocked-sopa-pipa

Saturday Morning Breakfast Comic:
    http://www.smbc-comics.com/

Dinosaur comics:
    http://www.qwantz.com/index.php

XKCD:
    http://www.xkcd.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Wiki Blackout’ is closed to new replies.