Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Wiggo to be in "The Jump"
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

What do we think? Part of me thinks ‘oh dear’ and ‘cashing in’, part of me says good on him for doing what he wants.

Can’t imagine it doing his reputation any good tho.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38490980

thepurist

What TUEs for ski jumping?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cath fed up of having him sulking round the house probably.

docrobster
    Free Member

Hope they get some snow in the Innsbruck region before it’s time to film it! It’s all brown at the moment!

jekkyl

didn’t this end in lots of horrific accidents last year?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Injured by episode 3?
    Then sits around drinking. 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

That is a good line-up by reality TV standards.

He’s missed a trick though, shoulda done the cycling one that was just on C5 instead.

GrahamS

“The Jump”? aka “Snow, Ski and A&E” – nah it’ll be fine 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can he ski ? Yes a rather accident prone series.

SaxonRider

jekkyl – Member 

Exactly. It seems a crazy idea for a show. I can imagine the Athertons doing well at it, as they have spent their lives jumping off things and landing well, but ordinary mortals – even very successful athletic ones – probably shouldn’t subject themselves to the danger. Especially for no purpose other than our entertainment.

edhornby

Skiing is a big passion – yeah right, I think you misspelled ‘payday’

Good on him tho, I’d happily take a few weeks larking about in kitzbuel or wherever it is

Sandwich

Did sir Brad not say he wouldn’t be doing reality TV? That resolution lasted a long while!

nedrapier

He’s spent 20 years being careful to avoid unnecessary physical risk in case it harms his career, now he can indulge in all the unnecessary physical risk he fancies. What better way to celebrate than by going on The Jump? Apart from the fun, it’s telly, it’ll bump his value for presenting gigs in the future, which I’m sure he’s got his eye on.

nedrapier

Jason Robinson! He’ll be interesting to watch, I wonder how much power he’s still got!

nealglover
    Free Member

He’s spent 20 years being careful to avoid unnecessary physical risk in case it harms his career, now he can indulge in all the unnecessary physical risk he fancies

That sort of theory worked out really badly for Michael Schumacher 😥

(Sorry if that sounds like poor taste, it honestly isn’t meant to be)

chakaping
    Free Member

Did sir Brad not say he wouldn’t be doing reality TV? That resolution lasted a long while!

I didn’t catch that, but he has been known to change his mind once or twice in the past.

😉

jekkyl

thing is, cycling is clearly a passion for him whether he does it again professionally or not but going on the Jump could land him (see what I did there) a serious injury where he might be unable to cycle any longer. maybe the paycheck is rather large!

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t see him being on enormous money for it, I genuinely think he expects it’ll be a laugh and a challenge – and wants to hang out with Gareth Thomas, Jason Robinson and Robbie Fowler.

William Hill have got him as the favourite, which I find surprising.
    http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/10448285/.html

I’d put some money on Louis Smith if the odds were better.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I find this odd, going against his man of the people self image. Maybe he’s given up on that since the knighthood?

Odd vehicle for self promotion too, I’d have thought.

GrahamS

Exactly. It seems a crazy idea for a show. I can imagine the Athertons doing well at it, as they have spent their lives jumping off things and landing well, but ordinary mortals…

In the previous three series I think most of the injuries have come from the various events, not the actual Jump part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jump

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Who wouldn’t want to be on The Jump? All expenses paid trip to the mountains to tit about on snow. Sign me up.

My missus is trying to work out how to become a minor celebrity just so she can get on.

pondo

Very – VERY – excited by this news. 😀

Spin
    Free Member

Is it a shark he’s jumping?

Harry_the_Spider

Not sure if I’d want to do it if I was a current athlete.

jekkyl

how excited are you Pondo and why? fond of trashcelebdosomething shows?!

pondo

I don’t watch any other reality guff, but I do enjoy The Jump – think it’s because there’s an element of genuine risk. Don’t want to see anyone get hurt but I think it gives it a certain spice if that’s a possible outcome.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Weeeelllll, he was for it, why not exploit it.

Bunnyhop

Well I wish him luck.
    Hubby and I watch ‘The jump’ every year and can’t believe it comes around again.
    Beth Tweddle was badly injured last year. She’s going to be mending for years to come.
    My money is on Louis.

Northwind

markrh
    Free Member

He’s a walking contradiction that man.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’s a staggering contradiction out of competition, I’m told.

simon_g

Who wouldn’t want to be on The Jump? All expenses paid trip to the mountains to tit about on snow. Sign me up.

I remember Marcus Brigstocke saying much the same. Paid to spend several weeks in the mountains, getting top notch coaching to do sports you enjoy. And who hasn’t watch ski jumping and wondered what that might be like?

Northwind

simon_g – Member

And who hasn’t watch ski jumping and wondered what that might be like?

Every time i see it I think in some detail about how much I would hate it

enfht
    Free Member

Appearing in the jump he can’t look any sillier than he normally dresses.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m assuming all the current athetes who recieve funding will lose it if they get injured? I bloody hope so.

pondo

There’s a thing on the BBC about that, TKD GB had talks with Jade Jones about it. Gotta say, not sure I’d do it if I was an active athlete.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate of mine met his wife while learning how to ski jump.

She was a nurse at the hospital he spent a week in after he smashed his leg.

They are still happily married though, tbf

chakaping
    Free Member

3.5 years to the next Olympics, best time to do it if you’re going to – and she could raise the profile of the sport if she does well on this.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Wiggo to be in "The Jump"’ is closed to new replies.