Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • WiFi Speed – iPhone fast, MacBook slow. Any thoughts?
  • woody74

Right on my home network both via wifi my iPhone is fast but my MacBook is really really slow when browsing. Almost unusable. Rebooted everything and no change.

Any thoughts or ideas to investigate? Nothing seems be running in the background of the MacBook.

It’s doing my head in!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Phone is loading mobile pages optimised for slower connection so appearing faster? Done a speed test on both?

somouk
    Free Member

Are they both on DHCP, check they both have the same DNS settings.

Are they both on the same wifi network? ones not on 5 Ghz and one on 2.4 Ghz etc.

woody74

Can’t even get a speed test webpage to load, it is so bloody slow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And when you try it on your phone?

woody74

I have just deleted all my preferred networks and renewed the DHCP lease and now all seems to be fine. What could the problem be?

somouk
    Free Member

What could the problem be?

Any number of things.

woody74

Great it is on go slow again now!!!

woody74

Yes both on the same DHCP and same DNS settings. Not sure about the ghz that they are on but one is usable and the other isn’t.

Cougar

Is it still the same with a wired connection?

Kato

Are you on Virgin cable broadband?

jambalaya
    Free Member

How old is the MB, is it on latest software ? There have been issues in the past with specific models / os updates although I think that’s normally not working at all. How full is hardrive ? Try a different browser eg Chrome

Mobile versions of websites will be optimised for fast loading / less content although that doesn’t sound like it.

Worth running speedtest.net on both. As above try the MB with an ethernet cable.

Are there lots of networks visible, channel interference affecting only the MB ?

Kato

Current Macbbok Pro’s aren’t compatible with Virgin’s Superhub. I had no end of issues with mine until I bought a new router and just used the Superhub as a modem

woody74

Im using a 12″ Macbook so 1yr old and no network port to test a wired connection.
    It is running the latest OS, actually it is running macOS Sierra.
    It is on BT broadband.
    In the country so no other networks apart from some BT wifi home plugs, might try turning these off.
    Loads of room on the hard drive 20+gb
    Browser doesn’t make any difference as does logging in under a guest account.
    I’ll try turning everything with wifi off to see if there is some interference.

woody74

I should say I am also working on a Mac Mini over wifi and this is fast and dandy with browsing.

Some almost defiantly sure it is something to do with the Macbook and or the way it is connecting.

euain

alt-click the WiFi icon in the menu bar will give you the connection speed and some other info.

It may provide some more clues?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Is it site specific?

Lots of site have specific mobile versions, stripped down to aid faster loading over 3G / lower powered smart phones (compared to PCs / MACs).

Some Macs have problems connecting to the 5GHz signal from BT HomeHUbs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-hub

woody74

Not site specific and running on 2.4ghz. The 2 machines are sitting right beside each other

Well I never knew you could alt-click the wifi icon.

Here are results form my Mac mini that is working fine and the Macbook. Clearly see the transfer speed is massively different.

Mac Mini

Macbook

jrawarren

There’s a thread somewhere on the Apple site I followed for just this, but for the life of me I can’t find it now! The solution IIRC was to reset the PRAM (google that) and then delete the wifi adaptor in System Preferences/Network and then re-add it (not as dangerous as it sounds – click “-” to delete and then “+” and re-add).

That solved it for me anyway!

jambalaya
    Free Member

So you are running Beta test OSX software ? Could that not be it ?

Cougar

The signal strength is sub-par on the second image. Are they in different places in the house?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘WiFi Speed – iPhone fast, MacBook slow. Any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.