Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wife's yahoo mail hacked – advice please
  • mattbibbings
    Free Member

My wife’s yahoo mail has been hacked this morning, emails sent everyone in address book. It only showed up due to mailer-daemon responses, nothing appears in the sent box.

There was also an email claiming to be from yahoo saying ‘ your account has been hacked… Blah blah…. Philippines…. Blah blah….. Click here to update password’ Needless to say, she didn’t use that link.

We logged on to her email account from a different machine and changed her password and deleted the dodgy looking email from yahoo.

I’m just after any advice really. Is changeing her password enough?

clubber
    Free Member

No – you also need to change her security questions (and possibly alternate email address for the ‘forgot my password’ option)

Also, if like many(!) she’s using that email and password for lots of things (which is how many/most people get hacked) then change them ALL now. Especially anything like paypal…

And you need to scan any computer that you think could possibly have been hacked/virused with a keyboard logger with a malware/AV detector.

dazz
    Free Member

yes, whenever it’s happened to me I’ve just changed the password & that’s put a stop to it, for 12 months or so anyway

madjak
    Free Member

Yes as clubber said.

I’d also be doing a full virus scan (with good up to date software) of all your computers and checking firewalls etc. Just to be on the safe side.

If you have smartphones that you use for web access, scan those as well.

richardk
    Free Member

Ditch Yahoo… I’ve been hacked twice now, getting fed up with it, so shifted to gmail.

Passwords changed regularly, not re-used, combinations of upper case letters, lower case letters, and numbers in the password, so made it as secure as I could…

Cougar
    ads678

just changing the password worked for me, but doing the other stuff as well can’t hurt.

willard

Wife’s Yahoo account got hacked about two months ago. Since it was an old account we just got it deleted instead of reset.

They were not that helpful.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I’ll set about her laptop with my digital fly swat then.

Do you think there could any link between her getting her first email capable phone ( iphone5) two weeks ago and this episode?

Her Passwords are all different for everything she does and she doesn’t PayPal/eBay/etc so not worried there.

Cheers for the replies folks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wife's yahoo mail hacked – advice please’ is closed to new replies.