Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Wife vs White Van Man
  • bigjim

Thats terrible, glad no serious injury done. Keep at the police, try and get CCTV, don’t speak to witnesses or offender. If you’ve got CTC membership get legal advice from them. I found it incredibly hard to get in touch with the police when I was in an accident.

I’ve seen so much mad stuff on my commutes to work in Edinburgh recently I really think I might buy a little head cam. World seems to be getting angrier, I swear when I was a student cycling around town in the 90’s it was much friendlier.

GrahamS

I find your “she brought it on herself” reasoning quite disturbing psling. 😕

But regardless of the lead up, I think what we can agree on is the second the guy started using his vehicle as a weapon to deliberately and repeatedly hit her and her bike, he stepped over a very clear line and he should be prosecuted for that.

The fact that a reg plate, four willing witnesses and hopefully CCTV are all available means I’d want some very good reasons from the police why they haven’t booked this guy yet.

GrahamS

The OP’s wife could have quietly and discreetly taken his numberplate, while taking an alternative route for the rest of the journey. Then report the fella.

Christ if I took down the numberplate of every car that overtook me badly then I’d need a very big notebook!

There was nothing worth reporting till the guy escalated it himself.

psling
    Free Member

With the greatest of respect, that’s total bollocks.

Are you telling me that when you’re riding in stop-start traffic that you respectfully stay at least 2 metres off the bumper of the vehicle in front and that if you pass a vehicle on your bike (either undertake or overtake)in slow moving traffic you leave at least a metre between you and that vehicle?

At what point did she escalate things in your humble opinion?

Possibly when she put her bike down in front of the van (such that the driver had to reverse to get around it to keep the traffic moving) and started trying to take photos?

And FWIW, it is only my humble opinion; if it had been me in that situation and I considered the van had passed too closely I’d have most likely slammed the side of the van and reduced myself to giving him a tirade of profanities in return. If I’d have been assaulted for my troubles I’d have probably given myself a very stern talking to later when I’d calmed down and told myself to try and chill when riding amongst idiots in vehicles.

psling
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    I find your “she brought it on herself” reasoning quite disturbing psling.

But regardless of the lead up, I think what we can agree on is the second the guy started using his vehicle as a weapon to deliberately and repeatedly hit her and her bike, he stepped over a very clear line and he should be prosecuted for that.

The fact that a reg plate, four willing witnesses and hopefully CCTV are all available means I’d want some very good reasons from the police why they haven’t booked this guy yet.

I don’t think for one moment that she brought it on herself. And I fully agree with the rest of your post.

girlonabike
    Free Member

Gosh two pages all about me! I am the ‘wife’. Admittedly if I hadn’t raised my arm in the international sign language for ‘what were you thinking?’, I would never have gotten into the situation that I did. He would have gone on his merry way. But when you are placed in a situation when you are in fear of your life, such as nearly being knocked off your bike, your fight or flight instincts kick in and your muscles get all the blood that your brain would otherwise benefit from. I made a heat of the moment decision to challenge dangerous behaviour, in the hope that he would perhaps give cyclists more room in future. I don’t deny my actions got me in hot water, things would have been different if I had ignored his actions. But that shouldn’t detract that his actions were clearly unnaceptable and illegal.

I get cut up and passed unsafely almost every journey I make, sometimes you just get a bit tired of it. Judge me as you will.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice retort.

Its hard sometimes to ride on but generally better. Tell ’em they are a clown, laugh in their face and ride off is the line I attempt to take – don’t get involved in stand up arguments. However do let them know what you think of them.

However in this case do press for charges and do get them to check the CCTV

psling
    Free Member

girlonabike – respect to you!

The driver’s actions when you confronted him should be dealt with and I really do hope the Police follow it up and that he ends up in court and convicted.

GrahamS

Gosh two pages all about me! I am the ‘wife’.

Cooo-ee! *waves*

Well I told you that folk on here would be “helpful” and (generally) sympathetic 😕
    Still, at least you get wide range of opinions 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I get cut up and passed unsafely almost every journey I make, sometimes you just get a bit tired of it.

You need help with anger management issues. 😆

Well, that’s what the response normally is on this forum.

Glad you’re ok in the end!

aracer
    Free Member

Possibly when she put her bike down in front of the van (such that the driver had to reverse to get around it to keep the traffic moving) and started trying to take photos?

Interesting – so gathering evidence is now “making a scene”.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You lot are making a scene on here. Get a room, boys! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

This ^^^

girlonabike
    Free Member

Here is my email to the Police, thought it might be of interest. Will see what response I get…

[/quote]Hello,

I am emailing regarding an incident (number ***) yesterday which I reported at Leith Police station shortly after it had happened. I was cycling home, and I was assaulted by a driver at the junction at the foot of Leith walk. (intentionaly hit by his vehicle, a white ford transit registration ET** ***)I have the details of the driver (description, registration plate, and I took a photo of his registration plate), and I have the names and numbers of four witnesses willing to make statements to what they saw. There also are CCTV cameras in the area that may have caught what happened. When I reported the incident there was not an officer available to take a statement. I would like to know when I can give my statement, as this was in my opinion, a serious incident, which is deserving of some investigation. Could I have the contact details of the officer who has been assigned this case, or even better could he contact me as soon as is possible?

I leave on holiday on sunday morning (the 5th Feb), and return on thursday afternoon (the 9th), and would like to get my statement done before I leave. Will this be possible? I am a little concerned that I haven’t had any contact regarding this assault and damage to my property (my bike was also hit by the van, and damaged). I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Thanks

aracer
    Free Member

You might want to remove at least some parts of that whilst you still have time to edit (or ask the mods nicely if it’s too late).

girlonabike
    Free Member

at least I had the forethought to remove my address and mobile number 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

Yeah, probably wise if the actual reg. no wasn’t put in the public domain right now….

Otherwise, you have my total sympathy and respect for how you handled things, and I’d draw a distinction between being assertive (which you rightly and properly were) and being aggressive / causing trouble (which some here seem to be alleging).

Hope you get the right result

joao3v16
    Free Member

I reckon you handles the situation incredibly calmly girlonabike.

Seems very lucky you weren’t hurt considering WVMs repeated attempts at running you over, and thankfully there were socially responsible people around to act as witnesses.

Psycho’s like this deserve all they get.

I generally adopt a “not responding makes the accuser look pathetic” stance – i.e. as long as I’m still on my bike and not a crumpled heap on the road, then just ignore them and their intolerance issues.

Although I guess this is basically letting them get away with it, whereas your response at least means there might be one less dangerous driver around to injure/kill others.

girlonabike
    Free Member

I have put some consideration into what I might do in future to avoid putting myself in this position again. My thoughts are that I may take an alternative route to work in light of this. I always avoided using cycle paths in the belief that they were often unlit and put me in an isolated and vulnerable position. I told myself the roads were for my use, and why should I have to use alternatives because I have a right to use the road equal to motorized vehicles. But in terms of my safety, the likelihood of being attacked on a dimly lit path is now in my opinion, lower than the risks I expose myself to when on the roads. Self preservation may force me off the road. Although I am conflicted because I feel if cyclists keep using the roads, drivers will learn how to safely share the roads with them. My choice is my Personal safety or my principles, one of them is going to have to give!

psling
    Free Member

I get the impression you can look after yourself pretty well so why should you give up your right to ride on the public highway because of the actions of one idiot. I know we’re up against 1 1/2 ton of metal every time a motorist takes umbrage against being held up by a cyclist but what you say is true; if cyclists move off of the roads drivers will become ever more of the opinion that cyclists shouldn’t be on the roads.

GrahamS

Read this Andrew Grimes numpty, get angry, and get back on the road! 😀

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this – used to use that junction on my commute many years ago. Its very disappointing to read about the inital attitude from the police dept too – i’d be tempted to complain about it. Personally i choose not to use the cycle paths at night/whenever its dark and still don’t / wouldn’t – i don’t feel safe and i’ve had stuff chucked at me as well, as well as a ned trying to force me off my bike.

Bunnyhop

girlonabike – sorry to read you had to go through this.
    When I was verbally assaulted a few years ago (luckily the guy didn’t try and hit me) while cycling to work, the police were very good. I had 3 witnesses and the police officer I spoke to was on an mtb at the time, so totally understood my fears.
    He came round to my house the very next day and took a statement.

Try and enjoy your holiday and let us know the outcome.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve just been to the Police this afternoon to make my statement.

I was offered two choices, to press on with a prosecution because what he did was an offence under the public order act, or just have the police make him a visit and put him right about his behaviour.

I chose the 2nd option because he didn’t actually hit me and nothing was damaged – if i had been in the OP’s position i would have definitely pressed charges.

In my particular case a couple of the questions asked by the officer made me think that the bloke in question was known to them.

Officer is going to ring me back in a few days to let me know how the visit went – i do hope he kicks off at the police! 😆

girlonabike
    Free Member

Little update- I got a reply from the email I sent asking for the officer assigned, the reply was, that nobody had yet been assigned, but when they were, they would forward my email. I know they have limited resources but I cant help thinking that they aren’t taking it seriously. I shouldn’t have to be chasing them up. Thanks for all the kind words, advice and support from you all, it is appreciated. Will update you with any developments when I get back from my holiday, I need it!

bruneep

Tell them not to bother assigning an officer as you have tracked down the driver and have him locked in your basement.

I’m sure they’ll be in touch quicker, they can’t charge you for wasting their time as you told them not to bother contacting you.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I find in Embra that it’s the taxi drivers that are worst, worse than anywhere else I’ve lived. They have zero patience.

chewkw
    Free Member

News flash … music in the background.

“Edinburgh a city infested with aggressive zombies. Cyclists don’t leave home without your Glock 19 and Bennelli M1 or M4 Super 90!” … music end.

🙄

p/s: keep putting pressure on the police and let the thug suffers bureaucratic punishment.

samuri
    Free Member

What a shitty experience but all too common. Take details, report to the police but what else can you do?

On Friday a woman reversed into me while we were sat in traffic. She knew I was there because my light was flashing away in her mirror. After I recovered I banged on her window and asked her WTF she thought she was doing. She just locked the door, mouthed that she was sorry and that was it as far as she was concerned.

That sort of crap is so common I don’t even bother bitching about it any more.

Hope your incident gets sorted.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Wife vs White Van Man’ is closed to new replies.