Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Wife keeps leaving the car keys hanging outside the front door!
  • frustrateddad
    Free Member

New login for this for obvious reasons….

My wife has this habit of unlocking the front door, leaving the keys in the lock then going back to the car for shopping etc before heading indoors and leaving the keys (inc car key) dangling outside the door. I come home probably once a week to it.

Its surely only a matter of time before someone thats not me spots it and drives off in the car – no chance of the insurance paying out I’m sure.

She doesnt seem to think its a big deal and complains/says I’m nagging when I mention it and ask her not to do it.

What would STW do? Steal it myself one day park up around the corner and only come clean after she’s panicked for long enough?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Steal it myself one day park up around the corner and only come clean after she’s panicked for long enough?

I’d do this!!

nonk
    Free Member

Yep that’s what I’d do
    I might do it anyways just out of badness

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What would STW do? Steal it myself one day park up around the corner and only come clean after she’s panicked for long enough?

Just take the keys and hold on to them until she needs tham again. Give them back after she’s wasted half an hour looking for them and she’s less likely to call plod.

Stoner
    Free Member

change the locks

binners

alexxx
    Free Member

Upgrade your wife

tomd
    Free Member

My wife never locks the front door. It does my head in, but she doesn’t see the problem and as you’ve said it comes across as me nagging her.

Things is, I had my car nicked years ago because the front door wasn’t bolted shut so it’s just something I’ve always done after that expensive lesson. .

This is an excellent plan:

Although I fear it’ll be you that ends under a patio.

Cougar

Put the door and car keys on separate rings.

After you’ve ‘stolen’ it yourself, obvs.

madweedavey
    Free Member

Depends if you want an easy life or an argument.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Move somewhere nicer?

Bregante

What would STW do? Steal it myself one day park up around the corner and only come clean after she’s panicked for long enough? had a week of travelling on public transport.

FTFY

kayak23

Get a push button entry front door.

dannyh
    Free Member

Deffo just drive the car around the corner and hide some bits of jewellery and electricals. When she is sobbing and about to pick up the phone to the police just say “lesson learned?”

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was thinking you should get a mate to steal the car just from reading the thread title. If you don’t steal it, someone else will.

frustrateddad
    Free Member

MadWeeDavey
    Quiet life / argument : prefer quiet life – there’s enough going on already, but would also prefer not to have to deal with a stolen car and all the expense and stress that brings
    5thElephant
    Quieter area – we live in a fairly nice quiet village already and the house is reasonably set back from the main road, so someone spotting is likely to be later rather than sooner – however over enough time it’s got a good chance of happening.

Maybe I can set up something suitably useful as part of an RFID tag setup on a key hook to motivate her to use it – turn the house lights on / heating up / kettle on.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I wonder if you could manage to pretend to steel the car in a spirit of good humour, so she realises why not to without the atmosphere going all heavy?

ji
    Free Member

Get a friend to ‘nick’ it, and send ransom style emails with pics from the petrol station (filling it up) valets (getting it cleaned), etc.

cpon
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member
    Move somewhere nicer?

Without the wife?

I live somewhere nice and my wife’s done this a few times, leaving front door and car keys in the door facing the road. Still thieves operate in nice places, fortunately not on the nights they’ve had free access to my house and car.

ART

I did this several times in our old house, In fact on several occasions the keys were dangling in the front door overnight while the old (and now rather covetable) mk2 Golf GTi sat in full view opposite the front door. FWIW these episodes coincided for me with busy/ stressful life patches. I’m sure she’s not doing it deliberately, she’s probably just got other stuff on her mind & simply gets distracted/ forgets when she shuts the door. Offer to do shopping/ help unload perhaps rather than give her something else to worry about?

frustrateddad
    Free Member

Get a friend to ‘nick’ it, and send ransom style emails with pics from the petrol station (filling it up) valets (getting it cleaned), etc.

Brilliant – that’s beautifully straight to the point whilst diplomatic. We do have a neighbor that would love doing this.

(It does assume that she’s come back with enough fuel in the car to GET to the petrol station which is often marginal.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

She needs to break the habit, you need to change the locks on the doors. This will make her think about why the keys don’t fit, whilst she’s standing there it’ll register that she needs keys to enter..

Nicking the cars a snotty trick, you’ll put her in a position of frightful worry and angst. I can’t see anything but disruptive family life for a whiles after if this is the route you choose.

mrmo
    Free Member

I left the keys in the door on one occasion, a couple of hours later a couple knocked on the door, “just thought we’d let you know you left the keys in the door”

It could easily have gone the other way.

frustrateddad
    Free Member

these episodes coincided for me with busy/ stressful life patches. I’m sure she’s not doing it deliberately,

Right on the money & very insightful- life is really stressful for us both right now – marriage not great right now to say the least and young children etc (the new login was to post about that and it’s consequences, I just couldn’t collect my thoughts or bring myself to write it yet – this more lighthearted topic came up first as a 50/50 joke/serious thread)

Offer to do shopping/ help unload perhaps rather than give her something else to worry about?

Grocery shopping comes via delivery, the key thing happens on the way back from work / Saturday clothes shopping trips etc. We both work full time and have young kids so the stress comes that way.

ART

In which case now is the time to be kind to each other & not turn this into a ‘thing’. Next time it happens just take the keys out & gently mention it saying that you’ve put them safely inside. It helps if you have hooks/ bowls etc where these things live – so you (both) actively notice that they are in the ‘right’ place rather than dangling in the door. Life is hard enough in the circumstances you describe – make light whilst still ensuring that your stuff stays safe.

porter_jamie

My wife says put them on a retracting lead thingamy which attaches to the inside of her handbag.

spooky_b329

An easy option…put keys in car door, pull everything out of the glove box and leave it strewn across the footwell, the benefit of this option is she’ll get a scare, and if its a bit stressy, you never need to come clean! (Just don’t let her report it to her insurance as that’ll cost extra in premiums!)

singlespeedstu

Is she fit though?

aracer
    Free Member

life is really stressful for us both right now – marriage not great right now to say the least

Hmm, tricky then. Mrs aracer does this fairly often, but fortunately we live somewhere where it’s really not an issue at all, and her car is completely worthless (TBH it’s far more of an issue that there’s also a key to the garage where bikes are kept), so I’ve not mentioned it beyond suggesting where her keys might be when she can’t find them.

CountZero

It’s not unusual for thieves to target ‘nice, quiet’ areas, they’re less likely to be noticed, and there’s likely to be better pickings, higher value cars, etc.

Steal it myself one day park up around the corner and only come clean after she’s panicked for long enough?
    I’d do this!!

The idea’s good in principle, but the repercussions could be decidedly unpleasant, and leaving keys just inside the front door is almost as bad as leaving them in the door, thieves can and will fish for them through the letterbox.
    I’d just drop them into a bowl or put them on a hook in the kitchen, then when she suddenly needs them and can’t find them, just quietly point out they’re where they should always be.

In which case now is the time to be kind to each other & not turn this into a ‘thing’. Next time it happens just take the keys out & gently mention it saying that you’ve put them safely inside. It helps if you have hooks/ bowls etc where these things live – so you (both) actively notice that they are in the ‘right’ place rather than dangling in the door. Life is hard enough in the circumstances you describe – make light whilst still ensuring that your stuff stays safe.

Exactly.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d just drop them into a bowl

At a party?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Slats? Hoof?

mechanicaldope

Separate the house and car keys onto different keyrings?

molgrips
    Free Member

If she’s lashing out back at you when you complain to her, instead of going “oh shit, sorry” then I’d say she’s feeling insecure and threatened not safe and loved. That’s not to say you don’t love her and want to care for her, but she may not feel like that’s the case.

danradyr1
    Free Member

My wife also does this to the point that I stopped taking my keys to work knowing that her keys would be in the door on my return. If she leaves them in the door during the day the posite usually puts it through the letter box

Tinners

(Just in case you’re tempted to follow dannyh’s advice, I know a good surgeon who will be able to sew your plums back on)

timber

I used to do this a lot when we lived in a house in the middle of a field. If I couldn’t find the car key, it was probably in the ignition.
    Now live in a village and still do it occasionally.

Wouldn’t suggest stealing the car, maybe just park it facing the other way or on the other side of the road occasionally.

TimothyD
    Free Member

A smiley post it note with ‘Keys?’ written on it stuck to the door might help?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Wife keeps leaving the car keys hanging outside the front door!’ is closed to new replies.