Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wife has just been offered last minute place on London Marathon – what to do?
  • wwaswas

She ran her first marathon last Saturday in Brighton and has now been offered a place on London this Sunday.

She's not sure.

I say go for it – you may never get the chance again and the kudos from doing Marathons two weekends in a row has got to be worth something!

Would she be really daft to even try this?

[Edit] Wrong forum every time, that's me 😳

joemarshall
    Free Member

Depends a lot on how hurting she is now surely.

If she still feels broken, then her body is probably telling her it is a bad idea.

If she feels okay, then she may be the sort of superhuman idiot who can run marathons two weekends in a row.

Joe

wwaswas

she felt ok, even straight after – she was running with someone who wanted a slower pace than her normal one so she didn't feel she'd really extended herself.

re: the superhuman idiot bit, she's always been fairly human in the past.

bigG
    Free Member

There was a guy on the radio this morning that's run 49 marathons in 49 days so I guess it very much depends on how she feels.

Eat loads, drink loads and MTFU would seem to be the order of the day. As motivation you can always offer to "own her with some bombers" or "bang her back doors in" if she succesfully completes the London marathon

G

Ps I've never eaten a marathon let alone run one, so please take this opinion with a large salt replacement tablet.

wwaswas

she's going to WTFU and see if she's not missed her chance…

I avoided any mention of back doors, it would have been counterproductive, I think.

epicyclo

If mountain bike riders can ride for 24 hours in a race, what's the big deal about 2 marathons?

Jamie
    Free Member

Eddie Izzard says go for it!

Pierre

The atmosphere at the London Marathon is unlike any other I've run – don't expect a PB (far FAR too many people for probably the first hour or so) but it will be an amazing experience for her if she can run the distance.

Go for it!

: P

stever
    Free Member

I doubt she'll get a time, but if she's after the experience maybe? Oh I see Brighton was her first – I wouldn't underestimate how much it might have taken out of her, even pottering round. Her call really.

sockpuppet

do it. don't expect it to be fast.

make sure she goes for a decent shakedown run tomorrow at least, maybe a short bimble friday too

IMO – running a marathon more physically demanding than a 24hr. not sure about the mental side, but physically harder.

Hal
    Free Member

Run Baby Run

IainGillam
    Free Member

I thought the chances of getting in, in the public ballot were quite slim, so I say go for it. It might be a long time before she can get in again if she misses out on this chance.

P.s If she doesn't want it I'll have the place!

Iain

glenncampbell

+1 for Eddie Izzard!

richcc
    Free Member

As I don't know anything about mrswwaswas I'm not sure if BigG's suggestion regarding back doors is supposed to be 'carrot' or 'stick' ?

I think she should go for it too. She knows she's capable of running the distance and isn't just turning up in her plimsols to 'do a Goodie' (RIP)

avdave2

You said she slowed her pace in Brighton because of ITB issues. I'd be cautious, I've just done my first run in 6 months after similar problems when I overdid the cross country running last year. I limited to 15 minutes this evening but I could still feel it tightening up.

epicyclo

sockpuppet – Member
    …IMO – running a marathon more physically demanding than a 24hr. not sure about the mental side, but physically harder.

That's what I was wondering. Haven't run a marathon, but regularly used to run for 4-5 hours at a time in the bush in Oz.

sockpuppet

i haven't run a marathon, mind, but i have done a few solo 24s. maybe it's just the unknown element of the
    running, or maybe i don't go hard enough!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wife has just been offered last minute place on London Marathon – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.