Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Wide-bar converts (pros and cons)
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I found 700+ bars give too much of a ‘power assist’ feeling for the front of my bikes, and as Buzz says, a great deal of my local trails are twitchy badger runs through the trees. 685mm is what I’ve settled on too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive been think of going from 685mm to 710mm would i really notice a huge amount of difference???

is 710mm the new in thing for all round bikes, or just generally downhill types?

hora
    Free Member

Sit your hands 5mm or so each side further out so your virtually on the edge of your current bars…

TBH its not a massive difference- just felt ‘right’ to me.

kwack
    Free Member

I have a set of 685 and still ride with my hands on the edge of the bars where the bar ends are and always have done.

Would be good to try different size bars to see if it makes much of a difference – any shops do trial runs?

hora
    Free Member

CRC sell low-rise 711 Funn 25.4 bars for 30quid. Worth the experiment IMO.

dogthomson

I have 716mm Fleegles on my Scandal 29er and 710mm FSA Maximus bars on my Saracen Zen 3. I reckon 710-715mm feels just about spot on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d like to try some wide bars with really long brake levers (like the original Hope V2’s) and long grips. Best of both worlds?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have found even with 685 bars my hands sliding in to the centre of the bar.

I also clout them on trees and bridges afair bit so wider? No thanks. I have no need for them at all

rs
    Free Member

tried out my new 780’s last night, mostly downhill and they felt great, can’t see me going back.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Got some 750mm bars and I love them anything narrower feels wrong etc etc. They are generally great but when it comes to bringing the bike inside the house to do some work on it the bars are actually wider than the door. I have the same trouble very occasionally with trees, there are a couple on the monkey that are tight but it just means you have to aim better. Tight switchback climbs can be a problem as sometimes your knee hits the end of the bar and you loose momentum.

As a whole I really like them and wouldn’t go below 711 again.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Got some nukeproof warheads 760mm after asking for advice on here. Really helped out on the
    Rocky decents that I frequently do in the lakes. Don’t seem to get knocked offline as I did when
    I used 680mm.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for some wide bars as I keep finding myself holding onto the ends of my 685mm ones.

Question is – which low rise carbon bars wider than 700mm?

Easton Haven carbon – 711mm are top of my “trust” list and they are silly light for the strength but 711mm seems hardly worth it over 685mm.

I also fancy the Ragley Wiser carbon – 720mm

Other than that I have seen Answer pro taper.

Any others?

crocodilian
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Raceface Atlas bars (785 mm) for almost a year now. I originally thought that I would cut them down a notch after the first few rides but I find them very comfy at full length. No issues going uphill and more of a joy downhill than my previous bars.

kudos100
    Free Member

went from a set of bars that were 710 to a pair of renthal bars that are 780. The difference is massive, but then I have a 6’8 wingspan. I may cut them down to 760 to make it a bit easier through trees.

I will never go back to bars under 750.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I like the look of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54262

not sure on weight though

zangolin
    Free Member

Atlas 785mm – on the DH bike.
    Just put the same on the hardtail – was going to cut them down put they just feel right after a couple of long rides using them.
    Still waiting to come across my first pair of trees that are only 784mm apart 😉

Mugboo

Always rode with my hands on the end of my 685’s so bought some 760’s to try.

I’ve settled on 710, perfect.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Wide-bar converts (pros and cons)’ is closed to new replies.