Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Whyte T129 Works
  • failedengineer

Has anyone else ordered one? What delivery date were you given?

corsair
    Free Member

Yes, and the latest info I was given was that they’re due in at the docks on 7th August so they should be with the dealers around mid-August. I was told that a while ago though, so I don’t know whether it’s still accurate.

Dibbs
    Free Member

For August read xmas if my experience of Whyte is anything to go by.

failedengineer

Better not be Xmas – I’ve just sold my only mountain bike!

Plus, I’ve ordered a medium and I’ve got a horrible feeling that it may be too big. I was told that it could be a further 6 weeks for a small. You’d think they could have ordered one of each for me to try.

corsair
    Free Member

I have a medium on order too, so sadly no chance of a swap with you if it doesn’t fit me! That is a bit inconsiderate of them not reserving one of each size for you, but I’m sure we’ll both be fine. [crosses fingers and holds breath]

So if I understand you correctly Dibbs, you’re suggesting that there may be just a teeny chance that the date Whyte gave might turn out to be about as reliable as a chocolate teapot? Drat. <optimism>Maybe this time will be the exception.</optimism>

z1ppy

… I was given a date for this year, and the bike came when I was told it would… amazing really 😉

failedengineer

Z1ppy, Do you mean they said it would arrive ‘in 2013’?

z1ppy

yes, it was a 2013 bike though, not a 2014…

Dibbs
    Free Member

I currently have 5 Whytes of various flavours and apart from my Saxon Cross (the LBS had it in stock) I’ve always had to wait longer than the claimed delivery date (several months sometimes) but things may have changed.

wilson5spot
    Free Member

Blimey Failed you really have jumped in with both feet without checking if the tides in!! No bike to ride & no sign of the (maybe too large) new one. Looks like the Iron Cross may be getting some hammer 😉

corsair
    Free Member

For August read xmas if my experience of Whyte is anything to go by.

Looks like you may be right! Checked with my dealer yesterday and he phoned Whyte to ask them, and was told that the delivery into the UK which was expected today (7th) has now gone back to the 16th. 🙄

I don’t know if that affects all 2014 models as I was only asking about the 129 works, but I’d guess they’ll all be on the same coracle.

Still waiting for the 2014 brochure too, as my dealer has the dealer pack but no actual customer brochures yet and the Whyte web site still shows the 2013 brochure for download even though the web pages for the bikes have been updated for 2014. Still, any day now…

jonkineticcycles
    Free Member

I’ve (as a dealer) been told to expect stock on the 18th

Edit: Corsair, email me your address and ill pop a 2014 brochure in the post

corsair
    Free Member

email me your address

Done, thanks very much Jon! I’ve sent it to your info email address marked FAO you, which I hope will find you ok.

Thankfully that date sounds consistent with what my dealer was told, as it will no doubt take a couple of days after the arrival on the 16th to get them out to the dealers. So not too long now, just hoping the summer won’t be over by then. 😀

failedengineer

Mine arrived last Friday. Had a brief ride on Saturday. Nice.

Cannot see the point of a dropper seat post, though. I’d like to sell the one it came with, but it’s a ‘stealth’ type, meaning the recipient frame has to be drilled, I guess. Anyone any idea what it would be worth?

Bigmantrials

Cannot see the point of a dropper seat post, though.

You must be one of the only people I have heard say this, I would never ride a bike again without one, much more confidence inspiring on the downhill sections!

The new Whyte T129 Works does look great, I am keen to get a ride on a demo one at some point!

failedengineer

The staff at the dealers all don’t bother with them, plus I don’t know anyone who has any inclination to get one. In 20-odd years, I’ve never felt the need to drop my saddle. Perhaps I’m not rad enough. I’ll maybe try it a couple of times on something steep before I ditch it. It just seems like something else to add weight and go wrong, though. Something else (the lever and the hose) to snap off in a crash.
    Emperor’s new clothes?

Northwind

If you don’t want to drop the saddle then obviously they’re pointless. But dropping the saddle is a very very good idea, and if you’re dropping the saddle then they’re very handy.

corsair
    Free Member

Picked mine up last Wednesday and done four rides so far, mostly 10 milers to test it and fine tune the fit (drat – forgot to pay for a professional fitting again; maybe I should start a thread on that to remind everyone else…).

Did 25 miles yesterday but only on local byways and there’s nothing round here that really needs a dropper post. I have found it handy, though, for slipping under low overhanging branches without having to get off the seat. Mind you, I’m not convinced it’s the most efficient pedalling position down there as my knees keep getting caught in my armpits. I’m sure I will find it really useful when I get on something steeper though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T129 Works’ is closed to new replies.