Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Whyte T120, least talked about bike ever
  • trailertrash

I still really like the look of this bike and considered buying one a few years ago but cash turned out to be an issue a the time. There are some good offers around at the moment, but finding opinions on them is quite hard. Would anyone like to contribute?

bradley
    Free Member

I agree they are nice looking bikes. Could well be ‘in the eye of the beholder’ etc as the swingarm is a bit odd but does look nice. Not sure on spec etc but I’d ride one.

matther01
    Free Member

Nearly bought one last year, but the swing arm rubbing my legs made it an issue for me and also the lack of bottle bosses. I also prefer shimano gears

Think it got 8/10 in a mag for being a good aggressive bike, but needed to change the stock tyres. Might have been mbr?

sprocker
    Free Member

Had one about a month having had a pitch before and really enjoying it. A lot more responsive and light generally more suited to my riding 95 per cent of the time. I have swapped the brakes, wheels, tires, bars and stem plus a reverb.
    The geometry is good and I have no problems with the heels and swingarm. Its a really nice bike and well worth the price you can pick one up for.

stumpy01

Mate of mine has the carbon E-120. It’s been a reliable bike; it’s first outing was the TransWales several yrs ago.

It seems like a good bike to ride, although I haven’t ridden it a massive amount.
    No bottle bosses, which could be a pain.
    Great mud clearance at the rear wheel due to the swing arm shape.
    Suspension seems quite reliant on being set-up properly. I think it is quite sensitive to getting the sag right.
    To me it seems quite short in the top tube.
    He’s got a 130mm set of Revs on the front, which seems to suit it quite well.

djglover
    Free Member

Just a jumped up Marin surely

sprocker
    Free Member

Different bike to e120 longer and slacker, Marin s are under rated as well.

dynamite
    Free Member

I owned a 2012(green decor) for about 8 months, its a fantastic bike to ride.
    For me the Scram components let it down. My Rebas blew out on a one foot drop, had constant issues with the monarch shock where if set to low rebound there was no resistance for the first 20mm before the shock worked as normal so always knocked through the first part of the travel, had mine changed for a fox in the end. My matchmaker snapped which held the gears on, on the same day the seat clamp failed, that was due to it being fitted the wroung way round, 10miles with no front gears and standing up! They advertised it with X7 front mech but when i got it home it had an X5, apparently they can change components and not tell you….its in the small print!
    I might have just been unlucky and bought that friday special, in 8months i had to return it to the shop 7times, the last time for my money back.
    However, saying all that i loved the bike and still do, Whyte have done a great job with the geometry. Keep looking at them second hand and find myself hovering above the buy button. The second hand price is stupid now, they do not hold their value. If its going for the right price then id say its worth a punt.
    Hope it helps.

zerocool

They’re great bikes. Some ofthe best geometry on a 120 bike. Jumps well, really stable at speed. I had one on loan from a friend for a months and would have bought one if I hadn’t had to replace my DH bike and short travel bike with just one bike.

Tom kp

danrandon
    Free Member

Had my 2012 ex demo bike just over 2 weeks now and love it. So quick and stable downhill and keeps the momentum well. Nose is a little light on climbs and can lift easily but just lean forward a bit more and it’s great. After riding an miracle, proflex animal, Scott fr and a cannondale over the years this is the best handling bike I’ve ever own and it compliments my riding style.

Also not seen many around and it always gets looked at when on rides.

gribble
    Free Member

I almost bought one, then bottled it. 2 years later I m in my LBS and they have a new one for 1/2 price, in my size. Karma.

I have a Trance X and am happy with it, but still like the look of the Whyte.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T120, least talked about bike ever’ is closed to new replies.