Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Whyte interclamp seatpost question
  • dvowles82
    Free Member

Bit of a weird question about Whyte’s interclamp seatposts, as found on the G150, T130 and T129.

At 5’10” (178cm), 32” inside leg, I had a Whyte T130 in medium, but found it a bit short/cramped. The shop are kindly swapping the front triangle of the frame, to a size Large. I think it’ll all be spot on except maybe the seatpost length, being slightly longer than ideal. I will be able to pedal it OK when the reverb is at full extension (have already tried and can do it), but that is going to involve having the reverb collar all the way down into the frame.

So far so good.

But when doing extended descents with the saddle slammed (think Bike Park Wales), it would be nice to have that bit more clearance around the saddle area.

So I’m thinking about cutting/filing down the seatpost by 1-2cm, specifically at the back. Unlike standard posts, which are typically angled in line with the sloping top tube (with the reverb collar sitting flush against it), Whyte’s intergrip ones slope at an upwards angle towards the back.

The question is, will me cutting/filing down the seat post at the back affect the structural integrity of the seatpost, making it liable to tear? Is there a reason that the seat post slopes up on the Whyte’s – is it deliberately to keep structural rigidity in the absence of a standard external seat clamp, or is it merely for style purposes?

Thanks

wiggles
    Free Member

Don’t do it…

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Do you mean the seatpost or the seat tube?

If the latter, really, don’t mess with it. You’ve just spent weeks agonising over whether or not you got the right size frame. Now you want to start hacking things about to make it fit?

If the Reverb is all the way down to the collar then you have more than enough drop available for just about anything.

Will you ever be happy?

dvowles82
    Free Member

Ha, yes sorry. Being overly perfectionists /OCD.

CheesybeanZ

change the reverb for one with less drop or find a shallower saddle .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Whyte interclamp seatpost question’ is closed to new replies.