Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whyte G-170 S…anyone got one yet?
  • lister

I like the look of it, the medium fitted me well when I sat on one but I’d like some real world views on it.

I’m sorely tempted…would be good for my megavalache plans in a year or two, but I wonder if it might be too much bike for day to day use.

Ta

Klunk
    Free Member

bit odd they don’t do a small 😕 long travel is only for the the taller or poorer (only an option for the bottom of the range 🙄 weird ) these days

samwilk200
    Free Member

Saw one today in LBS and looked very nice. Was next to an S-150….not sure which would be best for general trail riding and a few uplifts.

oikeith

Saw one today in LBS and looked very nice

I went to a Whyte demo day with my friend, he test rode the G170 base model but wants the S, asked about it after giving the bike back and was told they couldnt get one till end of November maybe December! He’s since moved on and is waiting to order a Capra from YT.

slowbloke
    Free Member

oikeith
    was told they couldnt get one till end of November maybe December!

At least they were honest. ETA on my bike (from a different manufacturer) that I was told would be a couple of weeks has slipped to the 3 month mark in the 3rd ETA slippage since placing the order back in July…..

lister

Little bump to check if I’d missed anyone else…

Thanks

markshires
    Free Member

I went to the Je James demo day on saturday and rode the g-170s, from the time i had on it it seemed like brilliant bike and I would put it as probably the best bike I rode that day, it seemed to be really balanced especially when getting off the ground a bit. It’s definitely at the top of my list and I really want to try the s150 29er now. It seemed to pedal as Well as any other bike and really didn’t feel like 170 travel bike in a good way, although the trail I rode it on didn’t do it justice at all. If your interest he’s a bit of gopro from my test runs[video]https://youtu.be/qq26Q6TcP2k[/video]

As for the availability the Whyte guys said something about the base model being available now, but the other variants not been out until November ish I think they said.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Alf Jones cycles have a demo next Wednesday at llandegla

nodrog2
    Free Member

I’ve got one (well it’s the Mrs bike really but I’ve ridden it). Great bike, very well balanced and super stable at speed. Very quick and responsive steering, doesn’t feel super plush like my Reign does but it uses its suspension very effectively so it pedals pretty well plus there’s still all of that travel to get you out of trouble. It’s a bit pedestrian on the flat as you’d expect and climbing performance is what you’d expect of an enduro bike (still ok though). It’s a riot on the descents and loads of fun to ride, definitely on the playful side of neutral. The tyres could do with changing although the Convict up front isn’t a bad tyre. In the long run I reckon a charger2 damper upgrade will be on the cards. Recommended if you have the terrain to justify it although it’s still fun on mellower stuff just harder work than a more trail focused bike.

pastyman64
    Free Member

I have the base model g170s and it rides as good as it looks though i did upgrade tyres. Fantastic on steep rough twisty descents. Low BB means pedal strikes can be common on techy trails but smaller pedals have helped reduce this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Whyte G-170 S…anyone got one yet?’ is closed to new replies.