Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Whyte bikes – T129s or M109?
  • nickbarthram
    Free Member

I realise the answer is ‘depends what you want to do on it’, but wondering if anyone had any insight on which to go for?

I’m currently riding a Whyte 901 26″ and looking to upgrade to 29″ and full-suss. Type of riding is usually long-distance but including up to ‘red’ level techy bits. I’m probably above average on distance/XC but below average on jumps, drops etc.

So, anyone ridden the above two and want to offer some advice? I was going to go for T129s and accept an increased weight in exchange for a trail-y bike which may increase my confidence and ability. However, the M109 (which is lighter but with only 100mm travel) sounds like it’s can handle most of what I’ll throw at it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nick

z1ppy

I tried them both back to back on a short test ride @ Cannock and my thoughts were:
    Summary
    M-109 – flippin fast and furious, but not stupidly XC ‘only’
    T-129 – Good fun & able to handle most stuff the UK has to throw at it, not as F&F but not lardy either

The M-109 is as close to my SC Superlight in that it was fast and wanted you to ride it faster, but not so head-down, bum-in-the-air that it wasn’t some fun at the same time. I didn’t feel that the steeper headangle detracted from it’s abilities, though admit the cannock demo track is hardly steep or gnarly. I found half way round I been in the outer ring of the triple from the start and didn’t feel I was struggling… so so fast.
    If anything I came away from the T-129 a little underwhelmed. It is not a bad bike, hardly. It was the traily type bike I like/want, more so that the M109 but just no ‘soul’ or maybe a better description was that it handled everything so well/easily it didn’t feel like I was involved(?). Maybe this would pay off when the terrain gets steeper, as no doubt it can handle a lot more than I currently ride*. I also tried the Spesh Enduro, for a laugh, and the T-129 was well on it’s way to being a short(er) travel version of that, so so capable if a bit clinical? (for me)

Conclusion
    Though the M109 was the faster bike, I didn’t feel it was a ‘fun’ bike either, more something you’d do lots of miles on fast. The ‘fun’ bike is definitely the T-129’s mantle, and capable of anything you could throw at it, expect a full on DH course.
    …I came away thinking I want a Orange Gyro 😳 in your case I’d suggest the M-109 will do what you want (though jumps might push it a little).

*I feel I was more than a little distracted by my demo on the Gyro, to take in the T-129 ride’s to draw indepth conclusions about it. After the test ride I’d decide it was my next bike but then I rode the Orange.

nickbarthram
    Free Member

Thanks z1ppy, detailed reply! Fast is definitely something I’m keen on over jumping ability, so feeling drawn towards m109.

Anyone else?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Whyte bikes – T129s or M109?’ is closed to new replies.