Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • whyte big grippers fell off my bike!
  • hillbasherSX
    Free Member

I have owned my E5 works for 6 days, popped the rear tire yesterday went to change tube and found the big gripper with the rear mech on had de-bonded its self from the swing arm completely, on closer inspection I can see the other side is chipped away at the join as well, and is pretty much about to go too. The place I bought it are being cool about it and offered to come get it and replace like for like as they still have them in stock, but Ive lost all faith in the big gripper system totally as glue holding together the back end sounds totally cack even as I type it, is this a common fault? or am I just an oaf of mass proportions as Ive only done about 60 miles on it mainly over fire roads and single track, no jumps really maybe the odd speed hump etc and Im only about 5’9” and about 12st (160-170lbs).May be able to swap for a Orange 5 not sure if worth spending extra £500 as my bike was on offer for £1999.99 and has better spec than the Orange, probably better bikes out there but kind of restricted to what the website has that I like (not much).

djglover
    Free Member

bloody hell, I’d get something else. got any pics btw?

brant
    Free Member

Is this the dropout part detaching from the carbon swingarm?

markd
    Free Member

i wouldnt let one mishap put you off. try another.

there are plenty out there working fine so its like any other isolated fault. isolated.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve done over two and a half thousand miles on my E-5 without problem (apart from the odd creak when the big grippers need greasing). I’d go for a replacement swingarm without hesitation.

markd
    Free Member

see dibbs’s is fine.

hillbasherSX
    Free Member

Sorry no pictures its back in the box ready for the pickup, and yep the whole big gripper assembly came out of the swing arm and hit the floor seconds after my jaw whilst changing out the tube, glad i got the puncture though as was going to isle of arran next week, could have been nasty! as you cant tell when right way up as the bike pushes the gripper back up into the swing arm flush just a bit of cracked glue/coating around the join I think the chain tension maybe helping keep it there.

Markd:- your probably right mate but the thought of that going again whilst i’m on it no matter how unlikely gives me tinggly teeth syndrome as chin skids are never cool.

v10
    Free Member

Hello,

I rang you the other day to arrange collection on this! 🙂

Weve sold 50+ 08 E5 Works (on top of many more 06 and 07 E5’s) and this is the first weve had to deal with with a carbon bondage issue. Only other one was bad tolerance on the front shock bushings as the shuttle is so stiff it wont pinch the shock very hard and the odd bearing change (which are lifetime anyway).

New one is all booked in to ship on Wednesday but if you do want to discuss some other bike options give me a call tomorrow.

Luke

hillbasherSX
    Free Member

Luke
    Cheers mate will give you a call, see everyone told you they were cool!

hillbasherSX
    Free Member

Happy as a dog with 2 d*cks ,swapped out the e5 for an orange five and Rutland cycling even sorted me out on a deal as a good will gesture so to quote George formby “turned out nice” roll on delivery day

v10
    Free Member

Which is today!

Just logged into the couriers and its at the delivery branch.

As for the E5, its back with us now and as said above its totally buggered, both dropouts just slide in and out of the frame with very little resistance. Obviously something gone wrong at the bonding stage but ill let you know what ATB make of it once its gone back.

hillbasherSX
    Free Member

Been out on the new one solid since I got it, what a beast love it thanks for your help again Luke appreciate it will pimp Rutland to my like minded chums who incidently are really p*ssed at how much quicker I go now 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘whyte big grippers fell off my bike!’ is closed to new replies.