Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Whyte after-sales service…
  • KevinPP
    Free Member

Anyone else experience a complete lack of after sales help from them?
    Found 2 cracks around the BB area of my 146 back in Feb. My LBS sent off pics to Whyte who said it was only cosmetic but obviously would warrant a new frame (would you buy a used frame with a crack in it..?)
    Since then I’ve been waiting. And waiting. And waiting. The LBS is regularly chasing them up and I have sent Whyte numerous emails that have gone unanswered. I have had a few vague dates that my LBS have been given which have been and gone, but still no real idea when (if ever) I may actually get a replacement.
    Just sent another email only to get an autoreply back stating they no longer take enquiries direct from the public. I wonder why…
    Anyone else having or had problems with Whyte/ATB like this?

deluded
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. How certain are you of the LBS pro-activeness in this?

The service I received for my Whyte E5 that had snapped at the seat-post was 5 star – really pleased. In quick time a decision was made that it shouldn’t have failed in the manner it did (after 5 years of riding mind) and I received an upgraded carbon replacement.

gb1m
    Free Member

Afraid so Kevin, I waited 6 months for replacement frame after mine suffered same problem as yours. The new one developed a horrible creaking sound and between lbs and abt I’ve been waiting 4 weeks for some thicker washers to be fitted (not been able to ride it).

A friend of mine noticed a problem on his sworks stumpjumper, took it into his lbs on the Monday , new frame arrived on the Wednesday and was built up and was riding on the Thursday the same week.

I know where my money is going next time

KevinPP
    Free Member

Pretty certain. Get on well with them and I know he is in regular contact as he has a few other bikes with problems and wants it sorted as much as I do. (Even though I got it from another dealer). He has been forwarding on my emails with his own comments added as I have been copying him in.
    I can understand that a frame failure may get priority treatment but 7 months for a replacement or even a date is taking the p@@s.

deluded
    Free Member

http://www.atb-sales.co.uk/contactus.html

Get on to ATB Sales and see if they can assist / speed things up. A contact Tel No. is listed.

Northwind

Which frame is it? The people I know who needed replacement 146s all had huge wait times just because the frames weren’t available. Which is crap but hard to get round ultimately- Whyte obviously didn’t expect so many warranty returns.

KevinPP
    Free Member

deluded – that’s the email that now (this week) has got the autoreply saying they no longer deal direct with the pulic, only via the dealer.

Northwind – It is a 146S frame. It is definately a frame availablility issue. there are none available and I understand that because they have changed the frame slightly they have, or are having a batch done in the same colour as the originals (ie black and white, the new ones I believe are black carbon) But like I say, 7 months with still no date is not acceptable. Just some honest communication would be nice…

deluded
    Free Member

KevinPP – what happens when you ring the telephone number?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been dealing with Marin/Whyte/ATB through my LBS since 1993ish and I’ve never found them any good at answering direct questions. They’ve always referred back to the dealer. They’re the importer and not a retailer and thier answer is that customer queries are better dealt with by the retailer. My LBS has dealt with quite a few Marin/Whyte warrantee issues for me over the years and without fail I’ve found ATB’s response excellent. One of the reason’s why I currently have a Marin, four Whytes and a Willier (and a new Whyte ready for collection next week).

BigSteve
    Free Member

Must say that when my 146S went back in the summer a new frame (2013 model with extra strut, but in 2012 colours) took around 2.5 weeks to be delivered to the LBS plus a couple of days for them to rebuild it. Brakes as well as the frame had failed and then another week and a half until the brakes failed again.

KevinPP
    Free Member

So I guess because mine is still rideable (but not sellable) I keep getting pushed to the bottom of the queue. I can understand that to a degree but getting extremely fed up with them now that is just going on and on. Like I say, just some honest communication would be nice. Was thinking of selling and replacing with the M109 but my trust in them is seriously lacking now.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I found them 5 star too, had a cracked 19 Steel frame which they arranged pick up of (supplied a box via TNT first too) then replaced/built up my old parts onto new frame and got the bike back to me quickly about 7 working days all in start to finish. I dealt directly with ATB Sales only though, also thats where i bought it from originally not through dealers. I will deffo buy from them again based on the service .

crftom
    Free Member

Atb are great with customer service, never had a problem with them, must be a problem with your lbs not communicating with them very well??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 for ATB being very, very good. Both in my time in the industry and out of it, they’ve always been very good indeed. In fact, when a friend killed his ancient Mount Vision on the Gap, they were beyond brilliant.

andrewlowe
    Free Member

KevinPP. I also have a crack above the bottom bracket on my 2012 Works model. ATB agreed to replace the frame on warranty early July. I have been told the crack is cosmetic (filler) and my bike is safe to ride (which I can vouch for as I haven’t stopped riding since). My local bike shop is uninterested and the communication is still very poor (which is a shame because I won’t buy a bike from them again). Anyway, the point here is that I’m dealing with ATB directly using the phone number on their website. I’ve had to chase up one or two promised call backs but the last update mid-September was that communication with their far eastern frame manufacturer hadn’t been fluid and following a video call they confirmed that my frame should be another 4-5 weeks. I’d therefore set myself a reminder to chase up again on the 22nd October if I hadn’t heard anything. Your blog entry has just reminded me of this!

rickon
    Free Member

ATB were really good with my cracked E-120, sent a replacement before the cracked one went back. Took about a week in all from finding the crack to getting the new frame.

Possibly they don’t have any 146 frames in stock?

granny_ring

That is a totally crap service from Whyte, feel for you guys totally.
    If they cant provide another frame within a ‘reasonable’ time frame then they should offer an alternative or refund you.
    That’s how I see it anyway.

bonesetter
    Free Member

These are indeed mixed reports, as Whyte feedback, both on bike design attention to detail and CS seems generally good

They’re moving into the 29er area now with some spot on looking bikes, so a whole new audience, myself included (M-109 S interest)… keep us updated on how you get on

Onzadog
    Free Member

Long time ago but I was less than impressed with atb sales when my manitou frame cracked.

Sounds like they’ve not improved any over the years.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Whyte after-sales service…’ is closed to new replies.