Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whyte 901 or treat my self to the 909
  • harrison2309
    Free Member

Whyte 901 or push the boat out and get the 909
    Morning,

New kid on the block getting back in to biking after 4 year lay off. Last bike was a trek fuel ex 8. This was great when I was working in Scotland but it was no good when I was at home which is flat.
    Now I at home all the time I have decided on a Hardtail but one that can handle trips to trail centres and the up coming trip to the Lake District.

So I have decided on the Whyte 901 but I would like to have better specs on it. Hence looking at the 909. I dont think the upgrades on the 905 are much better than the 901.

So my question is, is it worth paying the extra £800 for the better specs on the 909 ???

tjp1980
    Free Member

I was looking at a 901 but got a Bird Zero. Initially because I had advise from my BIL that he would rather use a part of his anatomy to slow down than use avid brakes. Having said that the 901 is meant to be a lovely bike.

So, in answer to your question, I have no advise. Sorry.

Edit: have you checked out Bird? Excellent service and their bikes are getting great reviews and are really well speced.

devash
    Free Member

The 909 has a much better spec (SRAM 1 X 11 / XT brakes and rotors, Pike fork instead of a Sektor fork / better rims including a Hope rear hub).

If you can stretch then I’d go with the 909, but also have a look at the hardtails Bird make because personally I think they’re better value.

http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero-tr/zero-tr-xt11.html

woodster

905 RS seems like the sweet-spot to me.

harrison2309
    Free Member

Well I don’t know enough about the different wheels,hubs etc to be able to do a comparison between then.
    The birds do look nice and that is the kind of bike Iam after. It is abit cheaper. If I order the 909 tomorrow I can get £200 off.
    Is their much difference in the forks, wheels etc

BillOddie

harrison2309
    Free Member

I take it from that your saying get the Whyte 909???

kja78
    Free Member

Have you ridden a Whyte? I test rode one last year and was very disappointed. Decided to upgrade my old Piglet instead. Highly recommend you try a few bikes before splashing out.

Bucko

I haven’t actually looked, sorry, but doesn’t the 909 come without a dropper?

qwerty
    Free Member

901 or 909 = 905 Shirley.

kendonagasaki

905 all the way and a stealth dropper from Alltricks to finish it off nicely.

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

I’ve got a 905, could of got a 909 but preferred the colour of the 905, they’re very nice bikes 🙂

I have upgraded the bike, got revelation rct3, saint brakes, xt 11 speed and will probably get a 150mm dropper soon as well

chakaping
    Free Member

As BillOddie said…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsABTmT1_M0[/video]

Or maybe get the 905 if it’s better value.

harrison2309
    Free Member

I’m not keen on the bright colour on the 905 and I would prefer the xt which is on the 909.
    To Kja 78 no I having had a go on a Whyte, there is nowhere near me to try one.

But I am swaying to the bird zero AM now, and with upgrades it still works out cheaper than the 909

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 901 or treat my self to the 909’ is closed to new replies.