Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Whyte 529
  • jupiter
    Free Member

I have just read the review in the latest copy of the mag, and really like the look of this frame. I am thinking of getting the 629 but getting a test ride may be difficult. Looking at the sizing on the Whyte website and looking at the bike in the magazine ( I presume it is Chipps riding it?) The medium looks massive even though it should be my size according to Whyte. (I am 5’9” and a bit). I wonder if maybe I should go for the small, the magazine tested a medium and it looked as if there was not a whole lot of seatpost showing so maybe they could have ridden a small as well. Would getting the small defeat the object of having long toptubes and small stems, though saying that the small still has a toptube length of 614 and a reach of 431 which I think is still bigger than a Cotic Solaris?

mboy
    Free Member

Wherabouts are you based jupiter?

I’m 5ft10 and been riding the 2016 629 for a while, in medium. I’ve found this pretty spot on, but have ordered a 2017 medium to replace it (I sell Whyte in my shop) but would be running the stock 45mm stem on it in place of the 60mm I run on my medium 629. They are long, but they’re designed to be run with a very short stem, not quite as extreme as Mondraker but going that way, if that makes sense?

jupiter
    Free Member

Based in Scotland. I have had a sit on a 2016 529, reach felt just about right, I just felt that if I could have the length but with maybe a 16” frame it would be great.So with the 2017 629 I could get away with a medium, but I could also maybe use a small. Just found out that Velocity 44 in Stirling are a dealer and Billy Bilsland in Glasgow are also a Performance test centre (whatever that means).If anyone at the mag is around I would like their input. Thanks.

warns74
    Free Member

mboy – Do Whyte ever do a frame only option? Would love to get a 629 frame.

jupiter
    Free Member

Frame option would be great, not a huge fan of sram gears and brakes.

z1ppy

Very little chance of a F/O from whyte, I’ve asked & asked.. Unless your a smarmy b’steward of b’shop owner 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 529’ is closed to new replies.