Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whyte 19 Ti instead of a Turner Flux. Thoughts?
  • nickb

Hi all,

I’ve had a Flux for 2-3 years now, which I love, but I’m no longer getting out on rides where I can really get the best out of it.

I’m seriously thinking of going back to a hardtail, and I’m getting very tempted by a Whyte 19 Ti. It’s also my 40th soon, so seems like a good excuse (although the Turner would have to go…)

Couple of thoughts…
    1 – Anyone swapped from a nice full susser to a hardtail and really regretted it?
    2 – Anyone tried the Whyte Ti? Any thoughts, comparisons to others, e.g. Cotic Soda?

Cheers,
    Nick

uphilla
    Free Member

Recently bought a Ti hardtail, had been riding a 5″ Full susser for about 5 years. Have since ridden the hardtail where I would normally have used the other bike and simply not missed it. If you are not riding anything extreme I would go for the Ti hardtail, it will last you for ages and bring a smile to your face imho…

No experience of the Whyte or Cotic, but sure either would be great…

The-Beard

I have just switched from an old Flux to a Scott Scale. So not too dissimilar a situation! So far absolutely no regrets (though ask me again after I’ve done a century on the bike….) The Scale is lighter, I think it handles better and I haven’t missed the rear suspension at all.

I was sorely tempted by a Soda or some other ti beauty, but got the Scale 2nd hand and have to say, plastic bikes are awesome.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have an old Rock Lobster Ti which I purchased 2nd hand as a ‘hack’ bike – i now ride it more than my full sus. In fact have a look at the Rock Lobster frame and the money you save could go towards some bling wheels and kit.

sparkerfix

Went down the Ti route last year. Not missed FS at all over here. FS has now been split to build a winter SS bike. Will sell the FS frame soon.

BillMC

I have a Maverick ML7 and a Genesis Core 40. I find the Genesis faster and more responsive but the Maverick is more comfortable on a long run, forgiving (useful on technical terrain) and has very good traction. They are different bikes which have different qualities. After a year of mainly Core I’ve now returned to the Maverick and put the Core out on permanent loan.

danti

Test rode a new Soda a couple of weeks ago and bought one!
    It’s the same weight as the old one but tauter, more of a strum than a twang, and prettier 😉
    If you contact Cotic and can get yourself to the Peaks you may be able to test ride one .

Never ridden the Whyte Ti so can’t compare.
    For the kind of wonga you’re looking at it would be wise to try before you buy.
    I’ve got 120mm Reba maxle lite on mine and its warm and fuzzy feeling stupendous! 🙂

bol

I switched from a well specked 2008 Stumpy fsr to a Ti hardtail. Absolutely no regrets. Much more fun, much more involved, just as comfy, and for the sort of riding I normally do, quicker too. Took my soda to the lakes a couple of weeks ago, and had no problem sticking with my mates on 5″ bikes (and I am no riding god by any means). Haven’t ridden the Whyte, but I don’t reckon you’d regret it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Until last year I had a 575 and the a Mav ML7/5, now got a Van Nicholas Mamtor and have no plans to go back to a full sus. I would recommend larger volume tyres than usual as it really makes a comfort difference.

piha
    Free Member

Have a look on Mounain Trax web site, Whyte Ti frame available for a good price. I had a look at it yesterday and was very impressed (or should that read – tempted).

Clink

Have a look on Mounain Trax web site, Whyte Ti frame available for a good price. I had a look at it yesterday and was very impressed (or should that read – tempted).

Good deal with the headset too.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have a TNT Flux and a Cotic Soul, Cotic gets used from October through to Spring and Flux the rest of the time. I like the easy cleaning of the Soul in the winter but prefer the handling and speed of the Flux when the ground is harder. If I could only have one bike it would definately be the Flux. Both bikes set up the same with 120mm Reba Maxle forks and ZTR Flow wheels.

If you’re not sure why not strip the Flux and build the parts onto a steel hardtail

grtdkad

I switched from an S-Works Epic a couple of years ago and re-adopted HTs…currently ride a Whyte 19 Carbon which is ace. Fast and very agile, don’t miss FS at all – the 19 is mega to nail it down fast, loose XC.

(Incidentally I bought my 19 from Mountain Trax. Couldn’t recommend the team down there more – really helpful and an excellent range of stock).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 19 Ti instead of a Turner Flux. Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.