Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Whyte 146s fork choice
  • gregbooth
    Free Member

Looking to change my forks on my Whyte 146s. My question is, has anyone fitted 160mm forks to this bike? I’m looking at either Pikes or Fox 34’s

DickBarton

No idea but I’d guess the extra 10mm travel will alter the angles a wee bit? So it might turn it real crap. Which year is your 146? Does it have the mid-frame strut thing? If not, will it take the longer fork and forces associated with a longer beast?

steveh

I had one of these a few years ago and would say that the flexier fox 32 or revelation forks would be a better choice as the frame is so flexy. I tried a bigger fork on mine when the normal one was being serviced and it just felt out of place.

hairyscary

I would not go that long if I were you. This was with Lyriks wound to 140mm and not a massive crash.
    Edit: this has the extra strut.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nHMTuR]IMAG0532[/url] by MattNSmith, on Flickr

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

That pains me looking at that

gregbooth
    Free Member

Ouch! That looks a sore one! My frame is the 2013 with the extra strut, I believe they originally came with fox 34’s. I was more curious about how the geometry might feel with a 160mm fork but still 34mm stanchions.

Thanks for all the responses though, good to get valid opinions from those who have ridden the frame.

danceswithferrets
    Free Member

I had 160mm lyriks for a while, a little less precise in tight singletrack, a little more stable on rougher downhill. I am NOT a downhiller, but do like to get a bit of speed up. I took them off because they were the lyrik R and also quite heavy. Rather than spend the money on a damper i sold them and got a marzocchi 44 ti, the marz is such a sweet fork. I have a set of revs on the shelf, but don’t feel the need to trade a little weight for a lot of plush coil goodness.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 146s fork choice’ is closed to new replies.