• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Whyte 146 chain problem
  • KevinPP
    Free Member

Any 146 owners had a problem with the chain dropping off the bottom jockey wheel?
    It’s the S running X9 and the chain randomly falls down the side of the jockey wheel. Nothing looks worn (its only about 5 months old). The B tension screw may have been a bit tight (chain quite a bit below the cassette) but I can’t see that affecting the jockey wheel. (Not had a chance to try it since loosening it)
    Any (sensible 😉 ) ideas??

Wozza
    Free Member

I had a similar problem I think with an XT mech. It turned out that one of the links was stiff and caused it to jump off the bottom jockey wheel like this:

Thread of things to try here: Linky

KevinPP
    Free Member

Yep, thats what it’s doing but doesn’t seem to be a stiff link. I can pedal it backwards and its seems as smooth as anything. Perhaps the chain is just worn already, in which case I won’t be getting another SRAM one…
    Checked the suggestions in the link too.
    The chain does seem loose in the smaller chainring, but its as short as it can be for 39/36. Annoying.

Wozza
    Free Member

I didn’t think mine was a stiff link either.

I can pedal it backwards and its seems as smooth as anything.

That rings a bell, it was fine backwards but would do it in the drive direction.

I’m not saying this is definitely your problem but it’s what worked for me. Stick it in the stand and slowly turn the cranks until you can work out which link it is that causes the jump. The one I found was ever so slightly less than perfect, I think it’d been like that from new.

Oh and i’m a Shimano fan but I’d avoid their chains.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Cheers Wozza, I’ll give that a go.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’ve always found SRAM chains to be much better than Shimano. I’ve broken two Shimano chains in the last three months.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Running a KMC 10 speed chain on my other X9 set up. Much prefer it.

rickon
    Free Member

Possibly a worn jockey wheel – check the teeth, to see if they’re worn. Have a look at your chainrings also, if there is a tiny bit of chainsuck this could cause the chain to appear to be skipping at the back.

I also wouldn’t rule out a worn chain, depending on how much riding you do – I go through a chain in about 2/3 months, buy yourself a chain checker from Park – it’s about £8 and worth it’s weight in gold.

br
    Free Member

Perhaps the chain is just worn already, in which case I won’t be getting another SRAM one…

Just measure it, but better to replace the chain now than have to replace the chain, cassette, middle-ring and jockey wheels soon.

But a simple dismantle and rebuild may just solve it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 146 chain problem’ is closed to new replies.