Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whys my torch broken?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I've got one of those deal extreme 900 lumen 5 mode torches. I dropped it on the ground from about 3 foot up, earlier this morning. Came to use it when I got home from work and it doesnt turn on.

Why is this? Anyone know how to fix it? Anyone elses broken and have you managed to get it replaced on warrenty?

Ta

crikey
    Free Member

Is it because you dropped it?

Happy to help….

allthepies
    Free Member

Dropping it three feet onto the floor doesn't seem to be a legit warranty claim to me.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Been there. I managed to fix it. Start with the above thread. Its most unlikely you've knackered the LED so worst case scenario is converting it to 'one' mode – ie on full or off.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I reckon that it is a legit warranty claim. Unless of course, it came with a warning "under no circumstances should this torch be dropped". Which would also give the purchaser the opportunity to decide whether they want to own a torch which must never be dropped. Three foot is not high, and it suggests that the product was not fit for purpose.

jam-bo

3ft to what? carpet, mud, concrete?

unless its stated to be shockproof then definitely not a warranty…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If it's not shockproof, then it's obviously not suitable for off road cycling – they should make that clear. I can throw my USE joystick around, no problem.

crikey
    Free Member

I reckon that it is a legit warranty claim. Unless of course, it came with a warning "under no circumstances should this torch be dropped". Which would also give the purchaser the opportunity to decide whether they want to own a torch which must never be dropped. Three foot is not high, and it suggests that the product was not fit for purpose.

I reckon your demands of a piece of lighting equipment are unrealistic.
    Can you think of other pieces of electrical equipment that can be dropped from 3 feet as a part of their general usage?

woffle
    Free Member

Can you think of other pieces of electrical equipment that can be dropped from 3 feet as a part of their general usage?

Not general usage but I'd expect a torch to withstand the occasional knock. Dropped a 2 year old Enduro onto hard tiled floor from about 4.5 foot yesterday, small dent in the rear but still working fine. It's been knocked out the mount and thrown across the road on the commute too when I went off on black ice – again, a bit of light cosmetic damage but kept on working…

My iphone on the other hand – I can attest to the fact that they don't work when dropped from a similar height. As I had the dubious honour of being the first person in the UK to turn up at the Apple Store with a shattered screen I lucked out and got a free replacement!

Ewan
    Free Member

If it's not shockproof, then it's obviously not suitable for off road cycling – they should make that clear. I can throw my USE joystick around, no problem.

To be fair DX have never suggested that it's designed for off road cycling! 3ft onto concrete is quite a high loading. It's a torch that cost 25 quid, what do you expect?

That all being said, I've dropped mine from higher and they're fine!

takisawa2

One of mine flickered & went out. Took the tail cap apart & put together again & its been fine since. Just a thought.

CountZero

It's a five-mode torch, not a cycle light. If I dropped a Maglight from three feet onto a hard surface I'd not be surprised if it failed. They are torches, not a high-impact tactical light. DX may well honour the warranty, but I think you're pushing your luck. If mine failed after a three-foot drop onto a concrete floor, I'd hardly be surprised. It's always possible the battery needs taking out and replacing and the end cap screwed back up tightly, mine sometimes flickers and needs the tail cap tightened up. Or the switch may have gone due to the impact.

dyna-ti

If I dropped a Maglight from three feet onto a hard surface I'd not be surprised if it failed.

Surely you jest.i've dropped my maglite a hundred times from 3 to ten feet,from ladders,from scaffolding not a whimper,in all honesty it mostly hit compacted dirt,but on the whole its still going strong 8yrs down the road
    Buy cheap buy twice 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whys my torch broken?’ is closed to new replies.