Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Why you might think twice about not wearing a helmet!
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

A group of us were riding the Newnham 60 on sunday and my mate had a crash at the top of the descent at the quary. He hit a rock and stopped dead by all accounts and flipped over the bars and his face/head was the first point of contact with rocky ground.

He had marked concusion and lost conciousness in the abulance on the way back. In casualty at Plymouth they did a routine CT scan just in case he had a brain injury but found a fracture in the top of his neck. My wife and his wife were there till 2am 😯 . He should be OK and maybe out of hosp today with a neck brace.

I examined his helmet and its got a massive crack in the front. His forehead is un damaged but has a big linear bruise where the helmet was. Now I am sure it stopped him getting a fractured skull and I would also think, although it didn't prevent the fracture, probably took some of the impact and without a helmet the fracture could have been worse.

I would also like to thank Martyn Salt, The marshal who radiod the ambulance and kept his bike (which is actually still intact), the paramedics and first aid centre and also the people at the neurosurgery ward and Plymouth hospital for doing a sterling job.

wwaswas

agree, I had a similar stop dead and over the bars moment when my chainset caught on a piece of old fencing wire.

I've got a scar across my lower forehead where the peak rotated under the helmet and dug in though 🙁

xc-steve
    Free Member

No way, that decent did have some big rocks in! Hope he makes a full recovery!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Was a lovely descent and was a great day and cracking singletrack (no pun) other than my mates accident 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

Oh no – can of worms re-opened 😯

How's he doing? Is he out of hospital yet? He needs to get on here whilst recovering 🙂

Drac

Regardless of the argument hope he recovers well.

soobalias
    Free Member

so are you saying the helmet caused his neck to break?

hope your mate is out and recovers quickly – ive a mate with a broken arm and associated blood poisoning who has been in a bad way for 5 weeks now 🙁

take care all

nickegg
    Free Member

Is riding off-road without a helmet all that common? I can't recall ever seeing anyone without one in my neck of the woods!

Can't believe anyone would ever get on a bike without one…although i know some do! Especially on the road….that winds me up no end!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Agreed

foxyrider
    Free Member

As from my OP I was not telling anyone to wear a helmet just a tale of woe 🙂 Was not to start an argument 🙂

I think he'll be out today Neil and is doing fine – I'll mail you later 🙂

so are you saying the helmet caused his neck to break?

No the opposite – I would think the injuries would def be worse without it!

BigDummy
    Free Member

"Why you might think twice about not wearing a helmet!"

Because…(wait for it)… You might fall off and bump your head!!!! I'm sure many people who do without helmets have overlooked this aspect of the debate.

A Nobel Prize surely awaits. 🙄 😀

Kramer
    Free Member

I hope he gets well soon and makes a full recovery.

He had marked concusion and lost conciousness in the abulance on the way back. In casualty at Plymouth they did a routine CT scan just in case he had a brain injury but found a fracture in the top of his neck.

At the risk of being flamed, there certainly used to be some controversy about helmets putting you at higher risk of neck injuries.

foxyrider
    Free Member

At the risk of being flamed, there certainly used to be some controversy about helmets putting you at higher risk of neck injuries.

Yeh but what about the skull fracture and possible brain contusion/bleed that it probably prevented and the enegy it took out of the impact Kramer? 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Same here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kramer – the evidence is clear and out there. How much higher is unclear however.

Foxyrider – you say the helmet had a massive crack. Was it compressed /crushed as well?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

😆

there was i about to ask what alien had abducted TJ, BD, MT abd Drac and up pops Jeremy with a bite

😆

hope your mate has a speedy recovery

foxyrider
    Free Member

Foxyrider – you say the helmet had a massive crack. Was it compressed /crushed as well?

TJ – a bit compressed but mostly a huge crack from the front lower to the midway through the helmet I think thats what I have seen in the past – because the impact is so fast and transient then they dont seem to compress – the energy is released in one or many cracks (experience and mates helmets!)

Thanks for the comments guys – I'll pass on your healing thoughts when I speak to him 🙂

dazh

Can't believe anyone would ever get on a bike without one…although i know some do! Especially on the road….that winds me up no end!

Well at the risk of being flamed, I rarely wear a helmet when on the roadie or commuting. Always wear one off-road and on road when in big groups (ie. sportives). I guess it comes down to how likely it is that I think I'll fall off. I've never once in 15 years fallen off the roadie, hence the more relaxed attitude to a helmet, and obviously off road there's quite a high chance.

Not too sure why it winds you up so much though. Each to their own and all that.

foxyrider
    Free Member

OOOPS 🙄 – your right N'I'C – I think I might have started that old discussion again 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

Yeah, I wear one, but it doesn't bother me if someone else chooses not to.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

earl gray and hob-nobs here, what everyone else got?

My tuppenth worth, whatever the extra risk of neck injury I'd rather be quadroplegic than dead.

takisawa2

Indeed, each to their own though. Its the individuals choice.
    Always amazes me the number of helmet-less heroes on Cannock Chase.
    After packing old neverfastenuff off on a spinal board earlier this year I'd never consider riding without one. Feel's funny riding without one actually.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I guess it comes down to how likely it is that I think I'll fall off.

I agree that is the handy think about accidents so easy to predict their occurence 🙄

I have never had a car accident thats why I never wear a seatbelt etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dunno, the wind noise is sometimes enough to make me think id rather than heve a lid on! But the umber of times ive made use of crash replacement schemes means it stays firmly in place!

bobbyspangles

i always wear a helmet when riding off road as i feel my risks are increased because i have chosen to do this. when riding on road i tend not to wear one as each time i have crashed it has been my hips/shoulder or wrists that take the impact.
    i am always amused by some of my clients who hail from new zealand or australia because when i am guiding them they almost always choose to not wear a helmet-rebelling against the helmet laws in their own countries.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

spoon – builders tea but no biscuits 🙁

spacemonkey

Hope you're mate recovers soon FR.

What annoys me is the number of riders on the road who 1) don't wear a helmet, and 2) have their ipod on. I cannot believe how stupid and careless they are. Sometimes it's hard enough to interpret what's happening on the road behind you normally (without 100db banging away in your ears), that I can't possibly see how they could react properly to a vehicle straying a bit too close to them one day. And that's not taking into account any evasive manouvers they need to take without said helmet. I just don't get it. Idiots.

End of rant.

SM

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oooooh it's a double can of worms now

i'm going to have to go to the shop and get some dark chocolate digestives i think

mrmo
    Free Member

mankind has been around for a while and has been falling out of trees for the whole time. The species still exists, a helmet may help, but don't underestimate how strong the skull is and how much it can withstand. Likewise don't over estimate how helpful a helmet can be. The design parameters aren't that high.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Here's my effort from the weekend, sorry to all that rode through the puddle of blood on Penhydd on Saturday 😳

Bruised hip and knackered knee, again! But I was wearing a helmet and yes it did save my bonce 😀

dazh

I agree that is the handy think about accidents so easy to predict their occurence

Well yes, obviously. But personally I don't like wearing them on the road for a number of reasons (wind noise, comfort, sweat stinging my forehead, the straps chafing my neck), so considering this and the fact that the chances of me falling off are very small, and the debatable benefit of them in the first place in a road-crash scenario, I choose not to wear one. It's no big deal, just a preference, and something I'm completely comfortable with.

mrmo
    Free Member

just to extend the srgument, who here gets in and out of the bath without body armour, look at the stats, baths are horrifically dangerous places adn should never be approached with out suitable body armour.

Who gets into a car without flameproof clothing, i have seen few car fires, only makes sense to take precautions.

I assume no one ever drinks alcohol without ensuring that they are suitably attired, falling over hurts.

miketually
    Free Member

In a recent study, it was found that, in cases where an accident resulted in head injuries, 44% of those injured would have benefited from some form of protective head gear.

These were all in cars, obviously.

So, you should really wear a helmet when in a car:

samuri
    Free Member

Hope he gets well soon.

As far as road/offroad goes, compare the number of deaths between the two if you want to make a choice about when to wear one. You are WAY more likely to have a serious accident on the road. I just wear one all the time on a bike, it's like second nature so it's makes no difference to me. It *might* save my life and it will definately safe my head from damage in an incident (which my helmets have done many times).

No-brainer (sic) as far as I'm concerned.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Hey Foxy – you've been leading my Uncle a stray? He'll be forced into taking up his old hobby again at this rate! I've mailed you.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hi Martin (FuzzyFelt) – yes Sorry – Its not my fault 🙂 – he asked me if I was doing this ride 🙂 I'm glad I was riding WITH him and that I stopped at the bottom of the most technical part. I think he might be comming out today. I'll check my mail!

Junkyard
    Free Member

but don't underestimate how strong the skull is and how much it can withstand. Likewise don't over estimate how helpful a helmet can be

I dont but it can take more with a helmet on than off. If you are in any doubt I will happily meet up for a headbutting competition and we can see who stops first 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Update: He's out of hospital with a brace on for 6 weeks. Bit of whiplash pain and a sore face butotherwise in good spirits on teh phone from home just now – I passed on your comments – thanks guys 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Why you might think twice about not wearing a helmet!’ is closed to new replies.