Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why would I want to sign a six month lease?
  • Flaperon

Phone call from landlord today asking me what my intentions are regarding a flat I rent in Manchester. Original term of six month lease is up, and it’s now simply a rolling contract.

Landlord wants me to commit to another six months to make life more financially stable for him. It’s unlikely that I would want to move out in the next six months, but not impossible.

I’ve suggested that he shows a gesture of goodwill in return (ie, the sofas are crap and I’d like new ones) which he’s not prepared to do, saying £750/month for a two-bed flat is already cheap enough.

His attitude is that signing another lease will also give me some security, but my own view is that the £750/month going by Direct Debit into his account is a fairly cast iron guarantee that he’s not going to kick me out in a hurry.

Thoughts?

simon_g

It gives both of you a bit of security – on a rolling contract he can “review” the rent whenever he likes, and if he thinks someone else will come along willing to pay more he can give you notice and that might come at an inconvenient time.

From his perspective, yes it gives him some stability knowing that you’re not going to leave in the short term. Unwillingness to sign a new contract may be interpreted by him as you looking elsewhere – and he doesn’t want that to come at an inconvenient time either.

Cougar

Offer to sign a three month lease?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Rolling contracts give you flexibility, and if he has an ounce of sense, he won’t risk chucking out a good tenant who pays on time. Unless you’re 100% certain that you won’t want to move, and he is offering something in exchange, I don’t see why you’d bother.

Joe

Cougar

‘s a good point.

“I want you to sign a new contract for my benefit.”

“No, you’re alright.”

oh.

GHill

Locks the price in for 6 months was about the only thing I could think of. Otherwise he could change it with 2 months notice (at least that’s how my own contract reads).

dooosuk
    Free Member

Where’s the flat? 2 bed for £750 in the city centre is cheap.

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve got a 4 year fixed rate on my (19 year) mortgage.

Do you think I’ve over-committed?

Helios
    Free Member

He can’t change the rent for the 1st year of a lease. So you’ve no worry with him going for a price hike for the next 6 months anyway… But signing a new 6 month agreement would give you another full 12 month’s protection against higher rent… So there is a small up-side for you…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Flats are ten a penny and cheap as owt in Manchester so I wouldn’t worry about it.

toys19
    Free Member

but my own view is that the £750/month going by Direct Debit into his account is a fairly cast iron guarantee that he’s not going to kick me out in a hurry.

as a landlord I can say this ^^ is true. **** him, dont sign anything. Only a fool would bin a good payer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why would I want to sign a six month lease?’ is closed to new replies.