Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why won't my iPhone5 work in USA?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Bought from Apple store in UK as unlocked phone and use GiffGaff. Doesn’t work saying ‘can’t use this phone to mdke calls in this region.

Wife has an iPhone 3GS on GiffGaff (originally bought on O2 network and never unlocked – GiffGaff use same network) and it works fine.

So why and can I do anything to fix this because its a PITA.

BearBack
    Free Member

try a different carrier?

Apple vs carrier politics are retarded in the US

If you’re using AT&T’s network, switch over to sprint or other

konabunny
    Free Member

Do you have roaming enabled on your giffgaff account?

Daffy

There are 3 versions of the iPhone 5 and not all versions work in all regions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of different mobile network standards in the US. The world uses GSM, only one national GSM network in the USA which is AT&T. If your phone doens’t support the other network types or your carrier does not have a deal with AT&T you’re SOL.

Also, even if your phone is supported and your carrier has a roaming deal, it still needs enabling. Call your carrier.

footflaps

4G won’t work as it’s a different band, but 3G should work with the US GSM carriers, just need to get it enabled.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well my wife also uses GiffGaff and I haven’t enabled anything on her phone (but it works) so I assume it isn’t carrier problem.

I am inclined to think it is the phone and if that’s the case then it’s a bit shit really.

Cougar

Swap SIMs with her temporarily (if they’ll fit) – that’ll narrow it down.

jota180
    Free Member

if they’ll fit

they won’t

Cougar

Ah yeah, sorry, I missed in the OP that she had a 3GS. Oh well.

jam-bo

pretty sure mines worked on o2 in the US. AT&T is a properly shit network though. I can see why all the antennagate issues arose. so many dropped calls and fishbowl audio

BearBack
    Free Member

Iphone5 has carrier politics.. 3gs doesn’t so it might still be the carrier. Did you try a different one?.

Apple wont let I5 onto some lte networks..

timc
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    I assume

Don’t 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I have given up now – managed to get everyone on Skype and we have wifi where we are staying.

TooTall
    Free Member

Phew.

I can sleep now.

johndoh
    Free Member

8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As I might be taking an iP5 to the USA next year, can someone tell me

a) How can i tell if mine will work there? I bought it direct from Apple, SIM free, unlocked
    b) What carrier can I use if I buy a SIM, and who would be good for cheap data (think mapping/satnav use) for a couple of weeks?

Cheers
    🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why won't my iPhone5 work in USA?’ is closed to new replies.