Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Why why why do people get married in churches?
  • jimmy

Just been out with a friend who's getting married soon and has to go to church every weekend at the moment to get to know their vicar and pretend to be religious. They both hate the idea of church and it fills them with fear. WhyTF get married in church then? They're not the only ones to do it, either… Jesus-****-christ

druidh
    Free Member

For the family.

markd
    Free Member

me n you would have to get a civil ceremony – calm down jimatron, calm down.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

guilt? pretence? buggered by a priest?
    I just told people that I would burst into flames if I pretended

spooky_b329

This is my argument…I'm not religious although unfortunately I was Christened…why 'pretend' to be religious and have to go to church before?! Its not like I'm going to turn up after the event!

brakes
    Free Member

because if you don't, San Pedro won't let you through the pearly gates and you'll live a life of eternal damnation in Hell/ Middlesbrough

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

The bride looks better in the photos in the doorway of a medieval church in a white flowing dress than a dingy registry office in a pencil skirt, lets be honest.

molgrips
    Free Member

People think 'aww, it's traditional innit' so they are prepared to lie through their teeth just cos they like a pretty venue. Spineless sods.

Unless of course they are being pressured by their family.. but even so pretending to be religious is not on.

rOcKeTdOg

it looks nice on the photies, my ex wanted a white wedding so i went along with it, vicar was cool when i told him i was a non believer and said the money would come in handy to mend the roof anyway. if you want to do it, do it, if you don't, stand up for yourself

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm not religious but I got married in the church where my Brother's buried.

I had a cool priest though so didn't have to go to church regularly beforehand. 🙂

househusband

Jimmy – surely you and Kit could just go for a civil partnership rather than a full-on wedding; besides it'd save argument on who gets to wear the dress?

druidh
    Free Member

The church I got married in was 166 miles from home.

The minister didn't make us attend church every week beforehand 😀

BillMC

I got married in a church (family pressure and they were paying) and the vicar had no problem with my atheism. So, all in all, it was a bit of theatrical hypocrisy but nice for those who believe in it.

dmiller
    Free Member

I didn't. I got married in a castle instead. The pictures look awesome 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

Because it's frowned upon at Bus Stops?

anokdale
    Free Member

For the family here too, we both agreed it was a bit of a sham really but it kept the MIL happy, for a while anyway.

My brother did the right thing, shot off to Cancuum and did the deed, came back and had a party, all happy,

Talkemada
    Free Member

It's Traditional
    Churches are pretty
    It's a nice little sideline to help fund the church to help out with maintenance so that it doesn't fall down.

Don't worrit yerself about it. S'not your concern.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I went to a friend's wedding in a church, and was surprised to hear her do the full vows, having thought her non-religious. I asked her about it afterwards and she said she didn't mean any of it, it was just to please her family…

12 years with my mrs, still not married even though she has an immediate (catholic) family of about 2 billion.

Pressure constant from her side.

She wants it to appease the family, but £15k (estimate) to feed her family, buy a dress, rent a car and have a few photos taken?

No chance.

I don't see the point, and her (traditional) family won't pay for it.

We'll do it in downtown Havana (if legally binding), or not at all. 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Mrs Grips had a terrible time finding a venue for our wedding.. she looked at churches but they wanted us to join their congregations and attend consultations and marriage guidance and stuff. Talk about nannying people.. I was 29 ffs not bloody 18.

Plus I was 4,000 miles away.

Edit: You can have a wedding for a hell of a lot less than £15k.

swainey
    Free Member

Er….. becouse thay want too

Harry_the_Spider

We didn't. We got married in this big mutha.

Good innit?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The best weddings I have been to were not in churches

Talkemada
    Free Member

she has an immediate (catholic) family of about 2 billion.

😆 I've told you a trillion times; don't exaggerate!

Sorry, 1.999998 billion….

Talkemada
    Free Member

I thought for a second that that was Bradford Town hall.

I think I prefer Bradford's:

Bradford rocks! And that's a Londoner saying that…

molgrips
    Free Member

Spider – that is an awesome building indeed. I thought I was tripping first time I saw that.

cinnamon_girl

In the "old days", it was the done thing cos bride's parents paid for wedding and called the shots. Add into the mix the groom's mother who refused to attend a wedding unless it was in a church.

Thank goodness times have moved on and I will encourage my kids to do exactly what they want to do. It's their day, not mine.

Talkemada
    Free Member

her (traditional) family won't pay for it.

You'd think they could scrape up a measly £15k between the (almost) 2 billion of them wouldn't you?

ex-pat
    Free Member

Nice buildings, for a few weekends sleeping at the back…

Kevevs
    Free Member

When I meet pretty ladies, my opening gambit is to tell them I will get married on top of a mountain. It will cost nowt, surrounded by the beauty of nature, on a nice summers day. wedding attire will be purchased with vouchers for milletts and she's gonna have to lose a bit of flab if she's gonna haul herself to the altar.

I am single.

aP
    Free Member

Because they want to?
    And don't work in IT?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

if its a church of england church and your a british citizen I dont see why not.

Im pretty sure legally they have to marry you even if you dont turn up for X number of weeks. By integrating into state the church receives some benefits but it also has duties such as it has to carry out marriages funerals etc for british citizens.

It always confuses me how people can talk about the church as if its nothing to do with them. Its likely that most British citizens ancestors paid for the church either directly through the collection at mass or indirectly through taxation in the past. So frankly if my ancestors paid for the building why should nt I use it ?

And if your part of a community it is likely a building/temple/monument has always been used in the same area for marriages, deaths and other important events even before christianity.

One reason churchs are pretty is because they got the good spots first so why should nt they be used.

Christianity+Church has affected everyones life and the country so much that amazes me that people dont feel like it and its building belong to them anymore.

kimbers

i got married in chester zoo

it was brilliant, the lion enclosure was nearby , those muthas can roar

the guests got free entry for the day and had a great time wandering around between service and reception while we did all the photos and stuff

a church wedding would have been the ultimate hypocrisy imho
    i suspect it is for most of the church weddings ive been to

to be fair if you pay all that money for a catholic church your donnation probably goes into the abused quoirboy compensation fund

Kevevs
    Free Member

I like that Kimbers!

Religion has a lot of stunning buildings to answer for.

kimbers

i agree churches are pretty

Talkemada
    Free Member

to be fair if you pay all that money for a catholic church your donnation probably goes into the abused quoirboy compensation fund

Yeah, because ALL Catholic priests abuse children, eh? 🙄

Personally, I prefer 'Man at C+A', but Ghost Town was of course their defining moment.

Whatever happened to C+A?

ourmaninthenorth

Fashion.

I've attended many weddings, though none of them my own. In the time Mrs North and I have been together (14 years), people we know have met, married and divorced. All of them have been church weddings.

konabunny
    Free Member

if its a church of england church and your a british citizen I dont see why not.

Im pretty sure legally they have to marry you even if you dont turn up for X number of weeks. By integrating into state the church receives some benefits but it also has duties such as it has to carry out marriages funerals etc for british citizens.
    Any source for that? Sounds remarkable!

Talkemada
    Free Member

When I meet pretty ladies, my opening gambit is to tell them I will get married on top of a mountain. It will cost nowt, surrounded by the beauty of nature, on a nice summers day. wedding attire will be purchased with vouchers for milletts and she's gonna have to lose a bit of flab if she's gonna haul herself to the altar.

I am single.

😆

Genius.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Why why why do people get married in churches?’ is closed to new replies.