Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Why wear head to toe MTB kit on a little jolly?
  • noltae
    Free Member

Sorry I just think you look cheesy as hell – went on a ‘club’ ride the other night – around 15 miles on footpaths and canals – beautiful evening – no chance of rain – too many folk in matching colours – head to toe.. Why ? Your not sponsored so what the f@#k are you playing at ? Maybe your trying to look the part ? If that’s really one’s priority can’t riders just focus on being good on their bikes ….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ooohhh, get you!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe they have nice kit, they automatically put on for riding, and aren’t too bothered what you think?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You sound a nice fella.

njee20
    Free Member

Should everyone consult you before they go for a ride, or just those wearing replica kit? What if it’s not replica? Are people allowed to wear their own team kit? Is anything other than jeans and a t-shirt acceptable? What about combining with gloves, or padded shorts?

Get over yourself.

chip
    Free Member

How far and under what conditions do you think it would be acceptable for people to wear mtb kit while riding the mtbs.

TheSanityAssassin

Couldn’t keep up then, eh?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

If it was a club ride, surely if they were in club colours it’s for advertising exposure purposes?

I quite like my kit to match, it’s nice to make an effort.

ridewhenever
    Free Member

Yesterday I accidentally matched my outfit to my bike for popping to the pub….

saxabar
    Free Member

Is this a club you’re part of?

prettygreenparrot

‘club’ ride –> ‘club’ kit?

drofluf
    Free Member

Noltae, may I pick your brains?

As you’re obviously a style guru with impeccable taste in these matters I’m sure I can’t go wrong if I follow you’re guidance.

I’m planning a short ride tomorrow, about 17 miles but not sure what to wear. I was up all night worrying but hopefully you can advise me and I’ll have a good night’s sleep tonight. So Lycra or baggies? Or even regular clothes. And my blue top or the green.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I was going out for a local ride tomorrow now I don’t know wether to wear my matching MTB kit and helmet with peak, or ride my SS in scruffy old mismatched MTB kit and matching older helmet or road bike with suitable toady kit and road helmet with no peak of course, I would hate to offend any locals or be the subject of fun poked at me 😀

drofluf
    Free Member

I would hate to offend any locals or be the subject of fun poked at me

It’s OK Suggsey, it’s very supportive round here, no one pokes fun at anyone.

hora
    Free Member

Someone had a pop at me recently on here when I said why all the kit on shorter rides. ‘Well you must have all the kit’..

I replied I wear a footie shirt, climbing backpack, mostly no gloves etc etc..

Sheep mutha ****

Suggsey
    Free Member

I actually prefer just riding and not worrying about the kit at all which is why the only new kit I have had recently was some that I won by way of an STW Tuesday Treat 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

Does that also mean I should only use a minimal back pack and bottles or pack with bladder or just what will fit in jersey pockets?

iffoverload
    Free Member

I agree with the OP, I only wear MTB kit between toes and waistline on a little jolly.

on top I will wear a nice jolly hawian t-shirt or a chefs hat and pinstripe waistcoat. 😛

jam-bo

I ride naked if it’s less than 20 miles.

burnside81
    Free Member

Did you ask the question at the time or just wait to slag them off online?

ampthill

When I get to 15 miles I stop. Take off my suite and tie stuff them in my back pack and then put on my SKY team kit.

I also then have to cycle with a large black board with “i have already ridden 15 miles on it” held aloft, in case any one thinks I’m on a short ride

PS i gave written to FIFA explaining that second half subsititutes should play in their pants as its annoying when people where full kit for short periods of time

ricky1
    Free Member

I do get what you mean in the sense that they look prattish but uniform all things are usually down to discipline and the clubs what wear the same kit all the time can have the feeling of being a team rather an individual rider,some teams are obviously more obsessed than others just like some mountain biking groups are more into their top end kit than others and wouldn’t bee seen dead riding round with someone with last years bike/kit on.

cheez0
    Free Member

‘all the gear, no idea’..
    ‘all the kit, don’t give a shit’?

laserstoat
    Free Member

@amppthill was it a three peice suite?

discoduck
    Free Member

Why didn’t you voice your opinion there and then ? Or are your conkers not big enough?

bigblackshed

I very rarely do more than 15 miles. What kit should I wear “oh wise one”?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Bigblackshed, you could get away with wearing the same kit everyday for a year without washing it with only doing that small mileage 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

*skip to the end*

‘NDURO!

*reads thread*

OP. Some bods might just have their cycling kit and wear it regardless of distance/location. Makes it easier to get the same kit out, wash it etc.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Like discoduck said, why bitch about the “club” riders online? Why not ask them?
    personally, I ride in a running t-shirt, shorts, and 5:10’s regardless of length of my ride, do I care? No. Wind it in, you sound like a right prat.

singlespeedstu

The big question is was it Enduro approved carefully miss matched flouro?
    If it was that’s fine if it wasn’t they deserve to die a slow and painfull death.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Phew I’m all good, I wear toe to head mtb kit on my short rides.

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ll go for proper mtb shoes, shorts, gloves, lid and glasses whatever the ride. All about comfort and protection. Shirt may / may not be cycling kit…

Colleagues laugh at me wearing specs on my commute, but an eyeful of flies is painful (and preventable) whatever length the ride

noltae
    Free Member

This is how it works … Somebody thinks your good enough to be paid or at least good enough to receive free product – in return you represent said sponsor by riding/wearing their product – If your not that guy your chumping yourself pretty heavily setting off for a ride in fully coordinated regalia ….

bigblackshed

But they’re 15 ‘ard miles, with grunting and gurning and every fink. 😈

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

noltae, incorrect. How it works is, company makes replica kit, people buy replica kit, further funding said company. It’s called making profit.
    Just because you are incapable of seeing past what clothing someone is wearing, does not mean that the natural reaction to seeing someone with a SKY jersey is a sponsored SKY rider and start questioning why you are overtaking them..

singlespeedstu

OP.
    Did you smash them to teach them a lesson on this casual ride?
    Or did you just ride through a few nettles with your sandals on and get stingy feet and a bit of a grump on?

mssansserif
    Free Member

You can wear what you like but if you have mtb kit i.e stuff designed to be comfy etc. On a bike why wouldn’t you wear it?

If I’m going to a wedding I wear a suit, if I’m going to work I wear work clothes, if I go out on the motorbike it’s leathers. Surprisingly when I go out on my bike I wear bike stuff.

But you can wear flip flops and a snorkel if you wish, doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What answer did they give? Or did you manage to sit on your judgemental sneering throughout the 15 miles and hold it in until you found the safety of a keyboard?

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably typed it on a smartphone while looking RIGHT AT THEM.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got an Edmonton Oilers game shirt, doesn’t mean I play for them though. Saw a bloke in a Man U shirt once as well but he looked like Mickey Rooney so I don’t think he actually played for Man U.
    That’s how it works.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Why wear head to toe MTB kit on a little jolly?’ is closed to new replies.