Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Why so bitter, these days?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Im ust be oblivious to this nastiness – I never see a problem on here even when the sensitive ones say there is?

Stoner
    Free Member

same here ck. No more or less spikey than its ever been over the last *counts fingers* ten years or so Ive been coming here.

A few icklefwuffywuffy posters seem to take offence at a mis-timed fart. Its only the “forum big hitters”* though who lay into each other with anything like a loaded punch. I dont think Ive ever seen an old lag pick on a noob.

* you know who you are, al. 😉

DrJ

Here, you can just post indiscriminately, at whatever point of whatever discussion you see fit, in whatever way your mood dictates, because that ability of the group to self police by shunning the unpleasant is taken away. Those undeserving of our time and attention can online ensure they get both.

Hmm .. Well. .. Agree up to a point. But if someone found their posts completely ignored they’d change or go away.

There is definitely an issue with nuances not coming across in a brief text. I’m sort of aware that I come across as more “unpleasant ” than I intend – so I hope people don’t bear grudges. Sometimes the implicit smiley is a bit too implicit and not enough explicit.

binners

I can’t see the problem either. If anything I find the ‘handbags’ tends to add to the general gaiety of the place. Being as they are mainly utterly preposterous, pointless and daft

Anyway… I blame Jamie. Its his fault for instigating all this ‘eggs’ nonsense. It was a lot calmer around here before all those chickens turned up

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thankfully, I’m not alone in thinking it’s not that different – the same stuff still gets taken over by the same two or three people at which point most posters get bored and go off and take the piss on another thread. There are far more positives than negatives FFS.

(apart from binners and Stoner).

binners

Stoner
    Free Member

*insert witty Bristolian humour here*

molgrips
    Free Member

So, who is really into statistics then? Every time one of these huge long argument threads starts up we should log the time and date, then we can see if there’s a pattern. Likewise the sexist and poor taste ones.

Then it would be interesting to correlate that with certain members’ activity from the DB logs. That way you could find out whose fault it really is 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

and date, then we can see if there’s a pattern…. the sexist and poor taste ones

monthly cycles?

bdum tish for the twofer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Generally when ernie, TJ, JY and Z-11 (and some of the other right wing nutters) cross swords on a thread, I generally think it’s time to walk away and piss somebody else off 🙂

(not detracting from ernie’s, TeeJ’s and especially JY’s huge positive input on other threads of course).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m really into statistics.

cynic-al
    Free Member

@stoner: playground respect acknowledged 😀

binners

Woody
    Free Member

never mind eggs and all that crap – who is (or was) jackthedog ?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Bitter? I prefer stout.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DrJ – Member

There is definitely an issue with nuances not coming across in a brief text. I’m sort of aware that I come across as more “unpleasant ” than I intend – so I hope people don’t bear grudges. Sometimes the implicit smiley is a bit too implicit and not enough explicit.
    I think this is a large part of the issue Its not just DrJ this happens to – it happens with quite a few folk me included – I appear more stroppy and adamant / inflexible than I intend

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

and it is very easy to do so. Done it lots of times myself on another forum on which I think Dr J posts.

The trap of self-righteous certainty combined with saying the same thing again and again seems one to avoid.

GrahamS

It worries me slightly that I don’t see all this nastiness… does that mean I’ve already fallen too far? Has my recent epic with TJ branded me as a “big shitter” 😯

I think there is a good deal of fairly impassioned debate on here, often between relatively intelligent people who have opinions and are happy to discuss them.

I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. I’ve certainly learnt a lot from listening to other people’s opinions on here – particularly opinion I don’t share. (except TJ 😉 )

Yes there is also A LOT of banter, teasing and name-calling, but it seems generally good-hearted to me. (Maybe that’s just the weegie in me, as in Glasgow insults to your face are a sign of affection and you’re only really in trouble when someone calls you “mate” or “pal”).

It’s much worse on other forums.
    If you want to see proper insane bitterness and animosity then have a read of some YouTube comments!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

GrahamS…hmmm…you’re new here aren’t you? 🙂

GrahamS

Oh sorry.. I should have said: “except TJ and deadlydarcy” 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙁

yunki
    Free Member

Maybe that’s just the weegie in me

We’re not in Kansas any more Toto.. 🙂

(that was a joke based on the absurd idea of Judy Garland missing the home comforts of Glasgow in case anyone thinks I’m being mean.. 😕 )

GrahamS

Ooh now I feel bad. I have turned into one of those cyber-bullies that John Craven tried to warn me about.

Sorry deadlydarcy: You know you are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙁

Graham – considering the number of posts the % that are nasty is small and clearly it depends on the people involved on how people take it

GrahamS

Well I hope you didn’t take any of mine to be directly insulting to you TJ. If you did then I apologise unreservedly.

I’ll admit that I find you incredibly frustrating to debate with and my frustration and annoyance may have leaked into my posts – I do try to target the argument not the arguer though, so apologies if there was any collateral damage.

I’m sure I’d be quite happy to sit and have a drink with you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not at all graham – I am surprised how amicable that thread was despite my provocation 🙂

GrahamS

Splendid. Mine’s a pint of unbranded hops-based alcohol at an unadvertised venue of your choosing 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not at all graham – I am surprised how amicable that thread was despite my provocation

TeeJ, you’re a ****

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A star?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, something like that 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A star?

nearly, it does look a bit star-shaped

GrahamS

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it does look a bit star-shaped

I was tempted but thought I’d set it up for someone else 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Why so bitter, these days?’ is closed to new replies.