Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Why shouldn't I buy a YT Capra AL?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

If it looks too good to be true it is because it’s not. Surely there is a catch?
    It is only £300 more than a Santa Cruz ally frame or a Five or a Nukeproof etc and it comes with Lyriks.

jaylittle
    Free Member

A friend bought a YT a year ago, he’s pretty keen so produced a spreadsheet comparing it to two other bikes, one was an orange 5 can’t remember the other. The YT was much cheaper and better specced.

nickdavies

Catch? Only if it goes wrong. I had very similar thoughts when I bought my canyon, £2400,for the canyon, the same build on a five was £4100. Bike brilliant but it took probably 2 months to get a set of brakes warrantied so I had to buy some more – not an issue, but the 6 months nearly it took to sort a rocker arm left the bike unusable. They also wouldn’t supply headset bearing detail, just a whole new headset rather than bearings.

Overall the value for money of the German direct bikes is great but you’ve got to allow for the crap after sales service. I wouldn’t be buying another in a rush, but the value of the yt is even better than canyon. I’d say as long as you are prepared to fork out for repairs or have enough spare parts or a spare bike to fix most things then they’re brilliant, but be prepared for the fact it’s going to be a ballache if you have problems.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Twice I cracked my Yeti, twice it took 11 weeks to get new rear triangle. This despite buying locally to get the ‘advantage of lbs customer service’….

Had both canyon and YT bikes. No issue with YT, reverb popped with canyon, had it replaced within a week.

It’s not all black and white in the lbs v direct debate…..

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a Capra AL – YT where brilliant on the only issue I’ve had.
    Not an issue per se – haven’t used it due to illness, lifted it down to clean it and noticed bubbling under the paint. Not structural but YT said it wasn’t acceptable to their eyes and shouldn’t be there.
    Emailed YT – they rang me back giving me a RMA, collection date and swapped the front end without quibble.
    From email to having bike back here – 10 days.

Trimix
    Free Member

YT’s customer service for me has been great.

On the Pinkbike YT forum others have had similar good experience.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh, and they also let me transfer the 14 months that was left on the warranty to the new owner.

Not many brands allow that.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 friends who both have capra’s and they’ve had no issues. Do they have a UK distributor or do you have to ship back to Germany if a frame snaps?

The value is ridiculous and the only reason I bought a Trek Remedy was at the time they didn’t have any XL’s in stock.

The jeffsy AL 1 27.5 looks a good bike too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tomaso, you should definitely have a look at the Radon Swoop.

Recently named bike of the year by MBUK and Dirt, as well as by myself.

Comparable on price to the YT I believe. Similar ride to the Capra but bit more modern geometry, including useful adjustability.

🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

The Swoop is good but €900 more than a YT

chakaping
    Free Member

Am I looking at the right models? About 23 euros difference to the Capra AL Comp…

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-swoop-170-8.0-583118/wg_id-7251

tomaso
    Free Member

Sorry I was looking one in € and the other in £, so it is more like €500. I am looking at the AL2 which €2299 or £1899. I am sure that the fancier shock, fork damper and Reverb dropper more than compensate for the extra, it is more money.

chakaping
    Free Member

Righto, I’ve seen the cheaper Capra now. Can’t be much out there to touch that for the price.

I think the frame could be a bit portly though. A friend had a Capra AL with really similar spec to my old Reign, and his was 2lbs heavier on the same scale.

You did ask for reasons why not.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I liked mine, I just never loved it. Always felt as if I was on the bike, instead of in the bike, like I did with my old SB66.

Kit wise, and frame as well tbh, there’s very little to touch it. The Lyriks are brilliant for your riding in the Lakes Tomaso, sit up in their travel, combined with that stiffness they are confidence inducing on steep Rocky stuff.

I can’t criticise it at all, just sometimes a bike is just not for you.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks all. I can see the spec and the price and read the reviews but how people actually have found them counts for a lot.

Not too fussed about weight. I’ve never had a light bike, accept a Klein eons ago.

How a bike feels is very personal. I was quickish at times on my old Enduro 29er, but never comfortable and very much on top.

submarined
    Free Member

Ah, if you weren’t that comfortable on an Enduro, that may be the only reason not to.

Not sure about the 29, but the ’16 Enduro 650b was nearly identified to the Capra. In fact, i may have demo’ed one for size as it was the closest I could get to a demo of a Capra…

They aren’t super short, but they’re certainly not the longest bikes in the world. I sold mine after 6 months because I have monkey arms, and it was just too short for me. Next size up was better, but still not right.

Other than that, they’re bloody great. VFM is incredible, Customer service took a while for me to bubble up the queue, but once I was at the front was really good (same for a friend) and the bike was nicely built and finished.
    Only reason I sold mine was the size issue, and that it was a bit too much bike. It wasn’t as fun as my Patrol is.

Other than that, I’d have no hesitation in buying another.

coomber
    Free Member

Have you looked at the bird? Have plenty of demo days so advantage of riding it first but with direct sales price and spec

submarined
    Free Member

As good value as Bird are, they aren’t really comparable in terms of kit to what the European brands are offering.

coomber
    Free Member

True but difference in say slx > xt is minimal when the rest of the bike is so well sorted. Horses for courses though. I’d prioritise decent frame, test ride and UK returns and warranty over better spec but appreciate not everyone does.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Is it the right bike for your riding?

bgascoyne
    Free Member

the only reason not to….would be to get the CF frame instead :-). I love my Capra! Go for it.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

As others have said, just make sure it’s the right style of bike for your riding. I’ve heard nothing but good things about YT though so I don’t think there’s a catch.

tomaso
    Free Member

I ride in the Lakes so I can definitely justify a big bouncer. Getting away with it on my Whtyte T130 at the mo, but miss the invincibility of an all mountain bike (it’s not an Enduro bike).

I am looking, and have looked, at a Bird. I am planning a test ride, when they have some more up north. It is good value as either a frame or a bike but not as much as the Capra.

Or I may just get another Reign, but a large not an XL…

chrisyork

I’ve had a similar debate with myself, and yes Tomaso i agree. At a demo day i tried a Reign XL as their Large was out….wow it was HUGE! i’m 6’2 and the reach on it was way too big for me, think i have short arms and octopus legs tbh…

thedude
    Free Member

The only reason to not get one might be that a update is due soon I would think. I also avoid pressfit.

tomhoward

Ive had a similar debate with myself

For 6 months?

sprocker
    Free Member

Winstanleys have got 2017 reigns cheap at the min, if not the Bird is well worth a look kit may not be as good but the geometry seems better to me than the Capra

pickle
    Free Member

I have the Swoop and love it! after just 3 months the rear Monarch shock blew up while out riding. I emailed Discount.bike in Germany on the Sunday evening and by 10am the following day had been sent a free postage label to send the shock back. 3 weeks later a new shock arrived in the post, I don’t think you’d get any better service if i’d bought a bike locally??

I know a few YT riders and they love them, they do look a bloody good buy.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Why shouldn't I buy a YT Capra AL?’ is closed to new replies.