Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why shouldn't I?
  • kenkyujo
    Free Member

We’ve been discussing this recently with a few riding buddies and we’re struggling to think what the disadvantages of running the following setup would be.

Take a light weight mtb tube and inject it with your choice of sealant. If necessary patch up the tube where you injected the sealant.

Fit the tube to standard tyre and rim and hey presto a tube that could be run at lower pressures and offer puncture protection. Giving you most of the advantages of a tubeless set-up but without the cost and it should make it easier and cleaner when wanting to change tyres.

Yes I’m aware that you can buy tubes already pre-filled with sealant but they tend to be pretty heavy, so have been ruled out. Total weight of tube and sealant should be less than around 200g.

Would the sealant prevent against pinch flats?

Your advise / experience on this is appreciated.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

you do realise you can remove the valve core and not inject it like some crazy junkie?

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

and a tyre is firm the innertube stretches and bounces opening up the hole.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

You’ll still get pinch flats.
    sorry.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Would the sealant prevent against pinch flats?

No

soobalias
    Free Member

i cant see a splash of stans solution sealing an innertube.

given the number of slime tubes ive rescued from trees i know they dont help with pinch punctures.

oh and if you are gonna do this, take the valve apart and inject the soln there rather than pierce the tube and patch it.

jonba
    Free Member

Sealant wouldn’t protect against pinch flats which some consider the advantage of tubeless.

Our night rides are plagued by thorns and that is where tubeless comes into its own. Injecting tubes would mean it was less likely to puncture but you wouldn’t have the mess and faff of tubeless. You could use a normal setup and also not risk ripping tyres as much.

Suppose it depends why you want tubeless – low pressures and no pinches or no thorns etc.

As above removable valve cores are the answer. Common on scwhalbe ones.

carlos
    Free Member

Seen more than a couple of the ‘already on the market pre-filled’ tubes suffer the pinch flat fate, so I’d guess your normal tube won’t fair any better.

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

Just buy a tubeless rim strip and goo. Not too pricey and it woks

coffeeking
    Free Member

Problem I’ve had a couple of times now with non tubeless tyres run at low pressure is they slip on the rim. Which rips the valve off the tube.

johnellison
    Free Member

What happened to latex and polyurethane tubes? PU tubes were great for preventing pinch flats.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why shouldn't I?’ is closed to new replies.