Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Why non on-one for women or small person?
  • juan
    Free Member

As I understand it on-one sizing is a bit weird. If you usually have a 18 or 17″ frame you are meant to go down to a 16. And if you are usually ridding a 16 you are meant to go to a 14″ frame. However no 14″ as been produced in plastic any particular reason for that?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Supply and demand?

Are there as many riders riding bikes that small?

Not trolling, genuine question..

I doubt Brant wants to be left with 0000’s of little frames that no-one wants?

wwaswas

they always produced small numbers of 14″ frames in steel for MamaDirt but I think the economies of carbon are in bigger numbers.

juan
    Free Member

Well any rider under 5.6 would ride a 14″…

vinnyeh

I guess the costs of tooling up moulds for 14″ would be greater than the number of frames sold.
    It’s easier/cheaper cutting tubes to size.

ski
    Free Member

I think the steel 14″ inbred frame was possibly the best looking on-one frame they ever made 😉

My Mrs loves hers & tbh, when I get a chance to play on it, its a blast to ride being that size 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It’s God’s way of saying he hates short people.

vinnyeh

It’s God’s way of saying he hates short people.

I know some people are a bit in awe of Brant, but deification is a bit extreme.

Edric64
    Free Member

They dont make frames for tall people either

julianwilson
    Free Member

Juan, are you thinking of Mrs Juan in particular?

Millie is 5’7″ (or 170cm in new money). and she once bought a 14″ inbred which she was too big for. She is now very happy with a 16″ inbred now with an inline seatpost and 60mm stem.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They dont make frames for tall people either

Which is God’s way of saying anyone over 6’2″ is a freak.

Edric64
    Free Member

Im only 5ft 16` though

billyboy
    Free Member

I built a 14″ Steel 456 for my 5′ 4″ girlfriend a couple of years back and it was biz boz exactly right for her.

BUT

It got chainsuck from the start even though it was brand new XT kit etc throughout and no amount of fettling would totally cure it…although I did manage to get it slightly better by going for a longer bb on a square taper chainset.

I never had a similar problem on two 18″ 456s I owned. My guess is that they cannot afford to have their chainsuck problem on their small frames ripping through carbon chainstays.

juan
    Free Member

julian yes but not in the immediate future 😀 We’re going to change her myka first. She tried my meta and loves it, so we’re going to see if we can get her a meta, or something approaching (a kona tanuki or a SH scott ransom carbon frame)

Jason
    Free Member

Juan, I think you have ridden Lou’s 16″ SS Inbred she is only 5’4″. She also has a 16″ Whippet which is a good fit, she runs a fairly short stem. I am pretty sure a 14″ Whippet (if they made it) would be too small for her.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I went down to a 14″ kona with my kula lisa and my hoss is a 16. Same TT length though. Would she be interested in my 15.5 cove hustler? 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Ok hang on 5’4″ is 163 so marina’s size. I guess she’ll have to try lou’s this year at the BBB then 😀

Jason
    Free Member

She is more than welcome too.

juan
    Free Member

LOL @ DGOAB. Not sure about the cove, but I’ll ask her anyway.

I need to start planning an trainning for the bbb then 😀 As I want to kick some asses this year 😀

Nick

It got chainsuck from the start even though it was brand new XT kit etc throughout and no amount of fettling would totally cure it…although I did manage to get it slightly better by going for a longer bb on a square taper chainset.

I never had a similar problem on two 18″ 456s I owned. My guess is that they cannot afford to have their chainsuck problem on their small frames ripping through carbon chainstays.

Does anyone really believe that the frame causes chainsuck?

brant
    Free Member

As a very small player in the great big world of bikes, we can only offer a limited size range. If you’re outside the bell curve of “normal” I’d hope those big corporate manufacturers who make millions of bikes a year might have something for you as they have hundreds and thousands times the market penetration little on-one does.

brant
    Free Member

As I understand it on-one sizing is a bit weird. If you usually have a 18 or 17″ frame you are meant to go down to a 16. And if you are usually ridding a 16 you are meant to go to a 14″ frame.

ps: this isn’t really true. I just think that people should ride a smaller frame than they might otherwise. I am 6’1″. I ride an 18in frame. Yet I know people who are 5’9″ and are convinced they also need an 18in frame. They don’t. They need a 16in frame.

juan
    Free Member

I just think that people should ride a smaller frame than they might otherwise

What about seat post lenght? On a A7.5 my seat post is usually extended to the limit, but I just good in term of TT lenght (usually). On a 16″ the seat post will probably be too short surely?

brant
    Free Member

What about seat post lenght? On a A7.5 my seat post is usually extended to the limit, but I just good in term of TT lenght (usually). On a 16″ the seat post will probably be too short surely?

How long is your seat post?

alexpalacefan

From the On One website;

“Fits you in sizes from 14in to 20in”, that’s the steel 456.

So, why not interested in having the carbon bike “fit us”? Just not enough profit in it?

I love my 14″ 456 and 14″ Scandal, gutted I can’t get a carbon friend for them.

APF

brant
    Free Member

So, why not interested in having the carbon bike “fit us”? Just not enough profit in it?

Yes.

juan
    Free Member

From the top of my head it’s 350…

irc

Brant – “yes”

Simple direct honesty? You haven’t “got” this forum internet thingy yet have you?

rootes1

alexpalacefan

So Brant, suppose a carbon 456 sold as well as the steel one did in 14″, how much would you need to charge to make it worthwhile?

APF

andyl
    Free Member

Tooling costs for carbon frames is a huge investment so I don’t blame them at all. It is a wise business decision to not make 14″ as the demand simply isn’t there. There are plenty of other frame makers if one doesnt make something you want try a different one or splash out on a Titanium one 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

brant – Member

As I understand it on-one sizing is a bit weird. If you usually have a 18 or 17″ frame you are meant to go down to a 16. And if you are usually ridding a 16 you are meant to go to a 14″ frame.

ps: this isn’t really true. I just think that people should ride a smaller frame than they might otherwise. I am 6’1″. I ride an 18in frame. Yet I know people who are 5’9″ and are convinced they also need an 18in frame. They don’t. They need a 16in frame.

i’m 6’2″ and have an 18in scandal which feels perfect, but seatpost length is a slight issue for me, too. got a thomson 410mm on it at the mo, but the frame/post are close to their limits for height.

wwaswas

do the ‘£150 on ebay’ carbon frame bods do very small/large frames?

wwaswas

theflatboy – blackspire do a 425mm one 🙂

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5953/263253/0/0

brant
    Free Member

juan – Member
    From the top of my head it’s 350…
    POSTED 27 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

So a 400mm post would let you ride a frame 2in smaller.

theflatboy
    Free Member

interesting, WW. i think mine’s just about ok but i’ll bear that in mind. cheers!

juan
    Free Member

Yes but once again I’ll be on the limit. And having 400mm of post showing would kinda scare me.

richc
    Free Member

Does anyone really believe that the frame causes chainsuck?

Yes

New chainset, new chain, new cassette and still suffers with chainsuck seems to confirm this.

wwaswas

the frame design doesn’t actually cause the chainsuck, it’s just that some frames let you know it’s happening because of the design of the chainstays giving you an aural response to it.

brant
    Free Member

juan – Member
    Yes but once again I’ll be on the limit. And having 400mm of post showing would kinda scare me.
    POSTED 20 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You aren’t meant to have 400mm of post showing. 100mm should be in the frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Why non on-one for women or small person?’ is closed to new replies.