• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by sok.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why Non-Bio Detergent for Cycling Clothes?
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

Jerseys, shorts etc, why non bio what difference does using bio make?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Itchy balls?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No thanks I’ve just eaten.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bazep
    Free Member

never heard of non-bio but heard of non conditioner as it holds in the water (apparently).

thered

non-bio is iirc supposed to irritate sensitive skin less

J0N
    Free Member

Non-Bio for laminated waterproof materials. Maybe just carrys over to all purposeful clothing.

druidh
    Free Member

thered – Member
    non-bio is iirc supposed to irritate sensitive skin less

This. Especially an issue where the material is in contact with sweaty skin.

So far, I’ve found Persil to be OK (so I tend to stick with it), Ariel not OK.

J0N – Member
    Non-Bio for laminated waterproof materials. Maybe just carrys over to all purposeful clothing.

Waterproof clothing should be washed in soap, not a detergent. The latter strips the outer of any water repellency, causes the material to load up with water and limits breathability.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Far easier for manufacturers to specify non-Bio (which have relatively ‘tried and tested’ formulations) than Bio detergents which vary in their formulation and are liable to contain built in conditioners/softeners.

popartpoem
    Free Member

The issue with fabric conditioner is that it interfere’s with the wicking properties of the material.

As for non-bio … Bio detergents shouldn’t be used on garments with taped seams (waterproof stuff) as it can affect the glues that are used to attach the tapes, which then let in water.

FuzzyWuzzy

I always use non-bio, I thought it was potentially less aggressive to (depending on the materials). Generally use Persil or the Fairy one depending on which is the cheapest (I think the really cheap brands all seem to be bio).

popartpoem
    Free Member

Are we really discussing detergents? 😯

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yes.

emsz
    Free Member

the biological part are just enzymes that break down fats and proteins, shouldn’t have any effect on any waterproofing treatment. I think the care treatment of some waterproofing materials even say you should wash in detergents. (I think event is one).

D0NK

sposed to use soap flakes for proofed stuff, buggered if I know where you can buy them tho – I normally ask my mum to procure some for me.

bio was recommended to me by LBS owner for stuff that starts getting a bit whiffy so presumably it’s ok for base layers and that.

wallop

I always use bio, but without conditioner.

I have been trying to find some Milton Anti-Bacterial Clothes cleaner, but can never find it in the supermarket.

Anyone bought some recently?

Macavity
    Free Member

Bio powder can damage wool.
    On the subject of fabric conditioner it can (sometimes) make fabric waterproof, or at least it can make cotton towels non-absorbent (and useless as towels).

sok

As a girl I feel completely comfortable discussing clothes washing products on a mountain bike forum….

I normally use regular non-bio but when stuff gets really stinky this seems to work really well http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-active-wear-cleanser

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why Non-Bio Detergent for Cycling Clothes?’ is closed to new replies.