Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Why no disc specific mudguards?
  • thorpie
    Free Member

Given that most new bikes these days have disc brakes of some sort why is there no disc specific mudguards out there? Instead people are having to bodge normal guards with spacers and bent stays. Would have thought companies would have cottoned on by now or is there some available that I can’t find?

Trevor.

druidh
    Free Member

The stays on SKS mudguards are designed to be bent, that’s why they are so long. That hardly counts as a bodge 🙄

Amazon rear 2 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh dear im terribly bodged ….. manufactured is a better word….

does a joiner bodge bits of wood together to make a kit frame or a window ?

andyl
    Free Member

Good choice of workstand 😀

thorpie
    Free Member

I wasn’t having a go at your handy work but why can’t I buy some mudguards already manufactured to fit? Maybe I’m not so good at ‘manufacturing’ things to fit?

Trevor.

wwaswas

this seems to be what you want;

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/25/01/12/mudguards-tyres-for-your-genesis-cross-bike

seems fine to me? number of people with disks and ‘guards must be tiny so little demand for anything more elaborate?

druidh
    Free Member

Because there is too much variation in frame design and brake placement. Have a look at the dropouts on something like a Cube LTD. They’ve been specifically designed to take any old mudguard and/or rack without interfering with the caliper. OTOH, I bought a Tubus “Disk” rack and it wouldn’t fit my VN Amazon.

If you can’t buy something and make it fit, either go to someone who can or buy a bike that has all the bits you want already fitted.

TiRed

Shouldn’t this be “Why no disk-specific mudguard eye placement?”. Designers could just move the eyelets up the stays, but have chosen not to do so.

wwaswas

but have chosen not to do so

I suspect because they’d a) have to beef the stays up to accept a weld and b) it’s cheaper just get a single dropout assembly made up to the job of holding wheel, disk, rack and ‘guards.

thomthumb
    Free Member

guards with stays need to be bent or cut.

that’s how it is and probably always will be.

why can’t I buy some mudguards already manufactured to fit?

because bike designers can’t space the eye a specified distance from a (unknown size) tyre.

Maybe I’m not so good at ‘manufacturing’ things to fit?

pay a bike mechanic?

TiRed

I suspect b).

Here’s the rear of my Paddy Waggon. Since track ends don’t come with eyelets, Kona have welded one one further up the stay. This takes a rack on the outer and mudguard on the inner.

Anyway, those SKS stays will take plenty of abuse.

thorpie
    Free Member

And where do you get those spacers shown on the Genesis day one? Not with the mudguards and that’s kind of my point. Buy mudguards, source bolts and spacers, faff around bending stays to fit. Think I will stick with a crud guard!

trail_rat
    Free Member

stick to yer wet legs then

tomd
    Free Member

My dad got a Whyte flat barred road bike / hybrid with discs recently. Mudguards were a major ballache, until we found a bontrager set designed just for the purpose. I think evans have them on their website. Great bit of kit, rock solid but quick and easy to take off and on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Why no disc specific mudguards?’ is closed to new replies.