Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Why no "cooling off period" after a Referendum?
  • spekkie
    Free Member

Having lived outside of the UK for the last 8 years, I can’t say with any confidence how I personally would have voted. I just don’t know what day to day life is like for you guys nowadays. We’ve just had a three week trip to the UK (arrived the day before the vote) visiting family & friends and obviously we’ve seen and heard everything as it unfolded.

Getting to the subject:

When you buy something, for example insurance, you have a cooling off period:

By law, all insurance policies have a minimum 14-day cooling-off period, during which you can cancel the policy for any reason. If you cancel, you should get a refund of any premiums you’ve paid, but the insurer is allowed to charge to cover days when the policy was in force, plus an administration fee.3 Jun 2015

The Leave supporters maintain that they won democratically, but many of the Leave policies appear to have been “misleading” (at best) A deliberate pack of lies (at worst). The vote was very close (certainly for such a big decision) and news reports on “next day polls” suggested that if the vote were held again two days later the vote would be different.

Would a cooling off period have helped, or would the lies just have been kept under wraps until after the cooling off period anyway, so no benefit?

maccruiskeen

Theres not cooling off period because it wasn’t legislated for as part of establishing the referendum process in the first place. Lots of things that should have been done weren’t – but the time to address that was before not after.

the Leave policies appear to have been “misleading” (at best) A deliberate pack of lies (at worst).

Thats not the fault of the Leave campaign – it was the government who should have devised an implementable model for leaving the EU as part of the referendum process – by asking the question of the public both options should have been fully examined, worked out and costed and tested before the question was asked. It wasn’t the duty of the Leave Campaign to do any of that – they just put their campaigning effort behind an option that the government had given no substance to.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The government’s line was remain so they’re not going to create a model for leaving to make it any easier for the leavers. It was absolutely upto the leavers to make the case for leaving. I didn’t think they did that and it has since become clear that the leave campaign never actually expected to win and now we’re left in a sort of vacuum while everyone gets over the initial shock and scrabbles around trying to suss out what the next steps should be. Now we’re in this we have to make sure we make the right decisions so a period of calm and careful consideration should happen to give us time to prepare for the oncoming negotiations, because once we invoke A50 then we’ve only got 2 years (in theory). I suspect it will be many months before A50 is invoked. You never go into any negotiation without a plan and a strategy and a team of crack negotiators. We have none of that at the moment.

I personally think that economically i.e. UK plc, we will be fine in the long run, some parts of our economy will be negatively effected but others will benefit significantly, but that is only one aspect of the whole thing amongst so many other aspects of this that will affect our futures.

The biggest worry factor for me is how we deal with the anti-immigration sentiments around the country and halt the rise of the far right – that is not just our challenge, but the EU and the US’ – it’s a western country-wide problem and we need to get to grips with it quickly. After all it was that that swung it for the leave campaign rather than any other argument.

maccruiskeen

The government’s line was remain so they’re not going to create a model for leaving to make it any easier for the leavers. It was absolutely upto the leavers to make the case for leaving.

The governments reccomendation was remain. They should have set out a plan for leaving as part of the process because that was a consequence of the question that they’d have to implement – they can still make it clear why its a path that the don’t recommend it. It would have been at least polite for the leave campaigners to have devised some kind of a plan but the campaigning didn’t start until after the referendum had been set – by then it was already too late really. And as became clear – campaigning for a case gives nobody a responsibility to implement it.

spekkie
    Free Member

This feels so much like when I miss a turn on the road and Mrs Spekkie says “you’ve missed the turn (muppet-boy) we’re going the wrong way” and I say “no it’s fine, I’ll find a new route this way” rather than turn around. . . . .

We do get there in the end, usually. Sometimes we just go somewhere else instead and I pretend that was always my intention so as not to look like a fool 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t be daft

hora
    Free Member

Only 25% voted remain. Why should we constantly hear negativity and undemocratic arguments?

poah
    Free Member

because they lost and losers tend to want a best of three – pathetic really.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Only 25% voted remain. Why should we constantly hear negativity and undemocratic arguments?

It frightens me that someone who can’t even make their mind up in what bike they want, is allowed to vote on such matters 🙂

mintimperial

Cos it’s funny watching you lot get your Union Jack y-fronts all bunched up every time the subject is raised.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting thought but no. I am not aware of anywhere else in the world that has a cooling off period after an election or referendum. I always use that as an input for ideas, does anyone else do that ?

As I leave campaigner I campaigned to win, I hoped to win.

I am not a massive fan of opinion polls but the Independent commissioned this, of the 2000 people they aksed it was clear they did not want another referendum of a general election. I think the press stories about regret etc where just clickbait from those on the losing side that couldn’t accept the result.

twisty

Like any other election/referendum there was a significant period of well advertised campaigning from both sides where people had ample opportunity to inform themselves and get a good picture of what was going to happen if UK decided to leave the EU. For this reason in particular a cooling off period was not a consideration, how do you even proposed that the cooling off period would work – have a 2nd referendum – it’d just make everybody ignore the 1st referendum?

Cooling off periods only apply in specific circumstances to protect consumers from pressure sales etc.

Sign other types of contract, e.g. commercial/stuff where lawyers are engaged and there is no cooling off period. I mean you can’t sign a big decision like doing exchange of deeds for a house and then change your mind a week later.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ well put. In fact as I understand it in Scotland a house purchase is a firm commitment based on an offer letter.

br
    Free Member

As a remainer as far as I am concerned it’s up to the ‘leavers’ to deal with the 5h1t storm they’ve created. Don’t expect my help/expertise ‘cos we’re now ensuring we protect our family from the years of trouble ahead.

We’re in Greece at the moment and it kinda feels like the UK will be, lots of uncertainty and everyone worried about the future. Pretty much a march every day on parliment (our hotel overlooks it), no trouble though just folk and banners – most folk though just get on with their lives, trying to do the best; service is superb in everywhere we’ve been.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got a positive outlook on life. I see opportunity, exciting changing times. Plus seen how Britian is doing in ALL sport at the moment? We are stunning.

What a fantastic country that we live in. Abroad I’m proud to say that I’m British. I’m not ‘European’. We are different, we stand above all.

Sounbites yes? Maybe , cheesy? Maybe but why don’t we rediscover our pride again not dilute it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve got a positive outlook on life. I see opportunity, exciting changing times. Plus seen how Britian is doing in ALL sport at the moment? We are stunning.

So essentially what you are saying is you have not sobered up form the night before

What a fantastic country that we live in. Abroad I’m proud to say that I’m British. I’m not ‘European’. We are different, we stand above all.

I am running something up the flag pole there at the patriotic fervour you have stirred

Sounbites yes? Maybe , cheesy? Maybe but why don’t we rediscover our pride again not dilute it.

You are like the captain of a ship, full of hope, looking at the flat clam sea and ignoring the storm slowly approaching from the horizon.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

hora
    Free Member

Why are you soo negative?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hora, spot the irony of someone deriding patriotism from a citizen of the UK who is eager his country of birth (not residence) becomes Independent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Compression mainly
    IME the optimism here is basically an admission of not really understanding what is about to happen – FDS even the main campaigners have back pedalled furiously. I think there is only you and jamby left believing the hope you positive big balls of the triumph of wishful thinking over intellect.

spot the irony of someone deriding patriotism from a citizen of the UK who is eager his country of birth (not residence) becomes Independent.

Posted the Brexiter from France 😆
    The only reason I ever supported scottish independence was because i would have voted for anything that prevented tory rule. Not once was it ever bound up in patriotism. I leave that sort of shit to you from your chateau where you play the race card about immigrants.
    Hypocrisy is so much more you than me

flanagaj
    Free Member

I too feel very positive about the future and I find it rather sad that there are soooo many ‘remainers’ who just can’t accept the result and seem determined to watch Britain fail.

My suggestion, to all of those who feel this way. Pack your bags and ship out as Britain doesn’t need the negativity.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆
    I can accept the result but your attempt to blame negativity for the reality of your/the electorate’s choice is as logically sounds as the arguments that convinced us to do it in the first place

I have no issue respecting the results but FFS actually take the responsibility for the consequences of YOUR decision

Apparently all our woes were due to foreigners and the EU now its the fault of “negativity” – its always someone else to blame for Brexiters

flanagaj
    Free Member

I can accept the result but your attempt to blame negativity for the reality of your/the electorate’s choice is as logically sounds as the arguments that convinced us to do it in the first place

I have no issue respecting the results but FFS actually take the responsibility for the consequences of YOUR decision

Apparently all our woes were due to foreigners and the EU now its the fault of “negativity” – its always someone else to blame for BrexitersI am not blaming negativity, I am just trying to reinforce the point that moaning and groaning indefinitely regarding the result and the future is not conducive to a prosperous future for Britain.

gowerboy

I am not sure it is helpful to look at those who voted remain as losers, etc. The referendum wasn’t a competition or a game. It was a decision making process at an important fork in the road of the UK’s development. For some people the road that the brexit result points to is associated with a range of issues and outcomes that at best they would prefer not to have to live through and at worst are very troubling.

As such telling people to “get over it” or “suck it up” is to trivialise their very genuine concerns. This is particularly true as those that drove forward the movement to leave the EU have, in my opinion, left us without any plan as to what may happen next and how it will all work. None of the issues that matter to me have been addressed in any shape or form so I am left feeling more than unhappy about what has just happened.

Another issue is that whilst the referendum was binary, the two potential results weren’t or aren’t symmetrical. Whilst a stay result would have dashed the out campaigners ambitions leaving people wondering what could have been, it wouldn’t have changed the political and economic landscape overnight. It wouldn’t have led to the same degree of uncertainty about the future that we are now experiencing. It certainly wouldn’t have left us trying to reconcile the practicalities of leaving the EU with the somewhat less than coherent reasons for leaving that many out voters have articulated.

I do not react well being told that I am resistant to change when the change that is being forced upon me is a change I really don’t welcome. There is plenty of change I would welcome…. and if I felt that leaving the EU would have resulted in us entering some kind of sustainable utopia where social justice and wellbeing for all is prioritised and achieved I would have voted out and be looking forward to the change.

I will try and be positive and make the best of whatever the out vote brings. I am lucky to have a job where I am close to public policy and the work of Welsh Govt so I really do have a role to play in the future, however small that may be. Luckily in Wales, in the form of the Wellbeing of Future Generations Act, we have a really interesting bit of legislation to work towards the things I care about.

What’s my point….? I guess it’s that we feel what we feel about something so fundamental and over which we have very little power, so I think that if we are to do well in the future, we need an element of understanding and patience in the debate and out interactions with one another.

crankboy
    Free Member

I love the leavers argument that it is not their fault there is no credible economic leave plan the government should have done that , every expert advised against leave as economically it is a bad idea , would the leavers not have cried fowl if the government had proposed a referendum question would you a like to remain in Europe and maintain economic stability or b like to leave Europe and drive the economy off a cliff. Leave campaigned to leave it is their responsibility to make it work . So far the best we have is an offer from Australia to give us a free trade deal like the one we currently enjoy with them from inside Europe so that’s 1.2% of our exports safe provided the service industry element is not EU law and banking.

crankboy
    Free Member

The reason no cooling off period no higher % threshold and no detailed structure to approve the leave mechanism were in place pre referendum is that far from being competent the conservative party are a set of half wits who muddle through and whose only strength is a lack of coherent organised opposition.

ninfan
    Free Member

Owen Smith this morning, suggesting that the Labour Party should try and ‘block’ Brexit, what sort of message does that send to the Labour homelands in the north that voted 70% to leave? It’s just this type of nazel gazing Westminster politics that has got them in this mess to start with.

The thing is, that if the remainers had some self awareness they would see that the democratic process has run its course and that decision cannot be ignored, the wasted energy of demanding another referendum could clearly be better spent by stopping arguing IF we are going to leave, and campaigning for HOW we leave, which everyone knows is still up for grabs.

br
    Free Member

ninfan

We do accept the process, just don’t rely on us to get you out of the hole you’re in.

We’re done with that and now we’ll look after ourselves, I don’t see why I should work harder just so a load of pensioners, non-workers and those on tax-credits can carry on getting their ‘income’ at the same level – they’re in control now, see how hard it is.

It may be that I’m been harsh, but the few leavers I know come into the above catagories, plus a couple of ‘small’ businessmen.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

you give the electorate far too much credit. Many of them still believe politicians and choose to use the daily mail as a fact checking mechanism. If they’d wanted a fair referendum they’d have had to start 50 years ago with the education system and then worked up and out from there.

gowerboy

The issue of HOW not IF is an interesting one when viewed in conjunction with people’s concerns about democracy being respected.

The vote was a simple remain or leave. Indeed we only have data on how many people voted one way or the other. We have no quantitive measure of why the majority (of those that voted) voted to leave.

We could leave the EU and retain full freedom of movement, access to the single market and be bound by some of the more significant directives. The result of the referendum will have been upheld and therefore democracy respected.

I hear, however, many people saying that we must end up in a solution where freedom of movement is blocked. But we didn’t vote whether to block freedom of movement. I can see no democratic imperative set by this volte to do anything other than leave the EU.

Had there been a plan set out and linked to the leave vote then things would be different. But there wasn’t and the claims made by the leave campaign are no basis on which to negotiate a future.

dudeofdoom

IMHO…

(If it doesn’t all implode and we sort out a deal)

We’ll end up with a £350m a week Ministry of Fkwits doing everything the EU did(Including a new gravy train that doesn’t require actually stepping on a Eurostar.)

Same shit different letters.

Why need a cooling off period on something non binding 🙂

iffoverload
    Free Member

its done,

now we can “get on” with killing any remaining human rights and enviromental legislations that stood in the way of commerce and sell off any public services that are not profit motivated.

the law will be re-written by big corporations probably in private and no referendums will happpen to ask if everyone is OK with this

“suck it up” and be “proud”.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

We’re in Greece at the moment and it kinda feels like the UK will be, lots of uncertainty and everyone worried about the future. Pretty much a march every day on parliment (our hotel overlooks it), no trouble though just folk and banners – most folk though just get on with their lives, trying to do the best

Ha ha ha brilliant, last time I looked they were in the EU living the dream.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

“Some people just want to see the world burn”

That’ll be me then. Bring on the opportunities. Small, mobile and reactive will be fun.

br
    Free Member

Yes Greece is in the EU, what’s that got to do with it?

If you are incapable of separating Brexit from Greece’s financial issues then…

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

If you are incapable of separating Brexit from Greece’s financial issues then…

Then? Then what? What is this now?
    Greece’s financial issues are partly down to the EU and being in the Euro, if you didn’t realise that, then . . .

br
    Free Member

Greece’s problems are down to financial bad management, and poor political environment – the Euro is a major cause, but it’s always been an issue.

And everyone we’ve met cannot believe that the UK voted out.

igm

ninfan – Owen Smith this morning, suggesting that the Labour Party should try and ‘block’ Brexit, what sort of message does that send to the Labour homelands in the north that voted 70% to leave?

That we live in a parliamentary democracy where parliament is (roughly) sovereign, we had a big opinion poll called a referendum (a vote that finished about half and half, hardly decisive), and now the MPs get to choose whether to listen.
    And here’s the best bit – if they don’t listen you get to vote them out at the next election in the relevant constituency.

Do you think that because we had a bit of a vote democracy is now complete? Democracy, if it is worth anything, continues on.

Now ninfan, stop crying, grow up and get on with playing the next round.

dudeofdoom

“Some people just want to see the world burn”

They aren’t so happy thou when it’s the bit they’re stood on 🙂

poah
    Free Member

They aren’t so happy thou when it’s the bit they’re stood on

I live in Glasgow, would be an improvement ha ha ha ha ha

CountZero

because they lost and losers tend to want a best of three – pathetic really.

Isn’t that the way that the EU runs referendums; keep running them until they get the answer they actually wanted in the first place, like they did in Ireland, and Greece, IIRC.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Why no "cooling off period" after a Referendum?’ is closed to new replies.