Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • WHY? (Landrover content)
  • matt_outandabout

Would anyone, other than a farmer on 50% offroad, buy a landrover?

I have had the (dis)pleasure of driving a 110 today and for the next three days.

Slow, noisy, uncomfortable, cold, archaic, (alu)rusty (it is a 1999) etc etc. But then I only have been on roads and one forest track….|It is not a patch on the only other off-roader I have driven, a Mitsubishi something or other.

At least the next three days will be 50% on hill tracks.

Kuco

Great towing capabilities and a good work horse. And I drive a Mitsubishi L200 and it’s a bag of shite give me a Landrover any day over that.

dazzlingboy

On my 9th defender in 13 years. (company vehicles). New ones are infinitely better. There are fora filled with people answering this question (or justifying themselves – whichever you like) so I’ll not try here! I love em but they’re not for everyone.

Tiger6791

Slow, noisy, uncomfortable, cold, archaic, (alu)rusty

I know, they are ace 🙂

dazzlingboy

Great for carrying toys.

muddy@rseguy

had some limited experience with a Defender 110 TD5 a few years back….utterly horrible inside and out, uncomfortable, archaic, noisy and hilariously good fun 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

I love them. dazzlingboy, that is lovely.

matt_outandabout

OK, maybe I am being unfair – but why would anyone who does not go off road properly want any offroader then if a Landy is the ‘best’ of them>?

wind-bag
    Free Member

Because they put a smile on your face – but you have to want a Landy. Owned the same one from new for 22 years, a 90 2.5td. Not for everyone that’s for sure, also have a Discovery, the last of the TD5’s on a 54 plate. Both have been used off road many times, and if we have a winter like last years there will be many people wishing they owned a Landy of any type.

dazzlingboy

Not so much about best as that is a very subjective thing. It is all the things you say for sure (although as i say new ones are a big improvement but far from modern car standards). But it also has personality. Most Defender drivers wave to each other on the road. No other drivers (apart from VW campers!) do that afaik. Like singlespeed, or 29, or riding fully rigid. A lot of people say “why? Makes no sense” but for those who are into it, it is the way forward. There is more to them than “which is best” – they have some soul about them.

A 5 year old passat estate is cheaper, more reliable, carries nearly as much, is more comfortable, burns less diesel, holds its value better, doesn’t rust, goes faster, is quieter etc etc. Would I swap my defender for one? Would I ****!

Kuco

I’m not saying my L200 is sluggish but I actually opened the bonnet up the other day to make sure the engine was still in their and not been replaced by an elastic band. But I think the elastic band would have been an improvement.

Shakey
    Free Member

Get a Discovery, same off-road capability and more comfortable although the TD5 engine is shite.

Edit – Beaten to it!

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

tis said – you either get ‘it’ with the LR – or you dont.

personally i have only had a half day experience in one -half on road, half off… and loved it – its seems for the exact same reasons as you hate it.

But then the car i drive at the moment, i bought because it was the exact opposite of the car i sold to get it. I like back to basics motoring.

RustyNissanPrairie

Mines 20 year old,
    Next year I’ll drive it to south africa,
    I’ll still have it in another 20 years.

The best thing/item/car/bit of kit I’ve ever/will ever own. If you dont get it-I feel sorry for you.

scraprider
    Free Member

cos when sum dick pulls out in front of you , there car get writen off , landrover gets a small dent on the bumper,TD5 Disco2 is my car , ive had a landrover for the past 20 years i would not be without one, i do not see me owning a euro crap box anytime soon.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

OK, maybe I am being unfair – but why would anyone who does not go off road properly want any offroader then if a Landy is the ‘best’ of them>?

because – other ‘offroaders’ are not for offroading – hence why they are called often ‘soft roaders’ they give the driver teh same tall driving position… and eerrr…

the defender was designed to go off road – to get a ewe in the back, tow heavy farm machinery, and have power take offs. the fact it has all the necessary to be road legal is a side issue.

br
    Free Member

If you drive limited distances and aren’t interested in going fast, I can see the attraction.

Also, with the exception of HGV’s, other road users give you ‘space’.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Best car I ever owned was a 1965 series 2a. Slow, thirsty, used to “wander” all over the road at more than 40mph. Windscreen wipers and heater that were marginally better than none at all.

Would I have another? Without hesitation if i did not drive 30k+ a year…

aracer
    Free Member

Great for carrying toys.

I seem to manage fine with toys on my boring estate.

Having driven a friend’s series 3 from Cambridge to the Brecon Beacons, I have to say it’s not what I’d choose to do that in – though even at 25mpg that could carry enough people and stuff that it worked out cheaper per person than any other option we had at the time. Quite fun to drive around in on road for shorter trips, and whilst I’d not really want to own one I can see the attraction.

forge197
    Free Member

I drove a 110 for a few days not the best on the motorway but off road rough stuff awesome fun it’s damn good for it’s core design purpose

Innes
    Free Member

I used to have an old Series 2a, I now have a Freelander 1, but would love to get a Defender in the future.

As others have said, you either get them or you don’t.

Xan
    Free Member

Dazling boy were you at gt on Thursday night. Saw a 110 very similar to that and loved it. I rebuilt a 1986 90 which I loved but eventually got sick of the up keep. Best off roaders by far but so uncomfortable!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used to a ’62 series 2a. I fitted a Perkins 4203 3.3 litre tractor engine into it. I only overtook one other vehicle in it. A bus that was stopping at a bus stop. It was awesome though, it towed huge trailer loads of peat for winter fuel and would go almost anywhere. I once saw green water flowing over the wings and through the unbolted floor panels while off roading.

dazzlingboy

Dazling boy were you at gt on Thursday night.

Twas I indeed!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dazzling – very nice indeed.

Think we’ll get one soon. They are very unrefined and break down a lot BUT they can tow a lot, they go anywhere and they are simply damn cool.

I drove a lot of mildly modded 110s for a Geotech Engineer job and they were almost unstoppable. They were also the only things that could properly tow a three tonne drilling rig.

Xan
    Free Member

dazzlingboy – Member
    Dazling boy were you at gt on Thursday night.
    Twas I indeed!

Mines was the silver passat parked infront of your 110. Great night ride down there that night. Tge diversion at the top of spooky wood is erm interesting in the dark

scaredypants

to get a ewe in the back

sheepdogging ?

CountZero

to get a ewe in the back

sheepdogging ?

Now that’s funny!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Would not wish to be in an accident in one!!

ononeorange

They’re lovely. But I will soon have to part with my Series 3 – will be a sad day.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Because they are the only thing that do the job. towing 3.5 tons and many trailers are plated as that which means a vehicle plated at 3 ons is not legal. The most capable off road with no competitors except a disco. the only one you can mend if you duff the body. the only one you can hose out. Even my 84 110 is perfectly acceptable at 70. any one who exceeds that in the Uk is a pillock and has shouldn’t be driving. On country roads who needs 60 even. Jap stuff comes with alloys and big fat tyres. Pose value only. Landy’s are cheap to insure. Cheap to mend and no worse that any others. Eco friendly. how many 30 year old Mitzis are still running. can you take the top off a shogun in 15 minutes? Even seen the mess it makes when you drive a Landcruiser through 3 foot of water.
    Jap stuff might do a certain job but if you need 4wd then a Landy still is the best in the UK

TooTall
    Free Member

Nasty vehicles that are more akin to tractors than proper road-going sensible motoring. Fine if you like agricultural levels of performance and comfort. Rabid owners who are convinced that they are the messiah of 4wd and nothing else does anything close.
    Hated every one I’ve driven due to poor space, no comfort, terrible ergonomics, awful ride and shocking fuel consumption. Towing just means adding to the discomfort.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would anyone, other than a farmer on 50% offroad, buy a landrover?

Because they are quite simply the best offroader in the world. Everything else is a pale imitation od a LandRover. I’ve driven dozens of them (at work) and probably done more off road miles than on road miles. Spookily I find them very comfortable, I like the upright driving position and they seem to fit me well.
    Utter waste of time unless you’re going to do a fair bit of proper off road driving though.
    I worked on Limehouse Link in Docklands, and we had a 110 diesel (No turbo!) van. Unbeleivebly slow. But drive that into the city, covered in mud and dents, to drop the boss off at Tower Bridge tube, and watch the Mercs and BMWs keep out of your way! King of the [Off]Road!
    Wonderful vehicles, full of character. Love ’em!

Tiger6791

They are a bit niche aren’t they?

I mean, rigid singlespeeds are crap aswell? non?

Some people like a boggo Eurobox, I like my pile of BL birmabrite.

hels
    Free Member

When my van dies, I am def getting one. So handy for running events on the hill. I’ve gone right off cars.

hora
    Free Member

Unless you live in the wilds, work in the wilds or use one for offroad driving its akin to a lifestyle vehicle choice. A sort of automotive Howies.

People who use them for work? You get to itch that scratch but then jump into your own car to go home/drive around in.

I drove one once and was utterly appalled at the seating position etc etc etc. How slow it was, the body roll, the noise.

I also have a open cab Landrover toy on my desk from 1976/my childhood. Shame as its one of those vehicles you always want to own.

I’d love a series 2 with canvass roof though.

Scamper
    Free Member

In terms of if a 4×4 is required, i’ve found that an Subaru Impreza with H/L ratio gears and winter tyres will get you through most stuff apart from deep snow drifts or the deeper muddied fields or where more ground clearance is a real issue. Some of these life style 4×4’s don’t come even close to an Impreza let alone a landrover.

hora
    Free Member

Thats a different argument. I doubt any Audi etc can get near a Impreza down the twisties in damp/wet weather etc etc. Phenomenal cars. Pity you have to wear a baseball cap whilst driving one 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I drove one once and was utterly appalled at the seating position etc etc etc. How slow it was, the body roll, the noise.

IT’S A FEKKING OFF ROADER! ITS NOT A CAR! YOU CAN’T COMPARE THEM!

It rolls becasue anti roll bars limit axle movement and therefore off raod capability.

Rabid owners who are convinced that they are the messiah of 4wd and nothing else does anything close.

That’s because it TRUE. Back to back driving with a Toyota Hilux or Ford Ranger shows how poor the competition is. Seriously, we used to send Landrovers to pull the Hilux out when it got stuck, when I worked on the A331!

hora
    Free Member

Agree. Its a great tool for a specific role.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘WHY? (Landrover content)’ is closed to new replies.