Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Why Join Islamic State?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Very good article on why, imo, any claims that anyone is winning these wars(and the wars to come) are well wide of the mark.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n13/patrick-cockburn/why-join-islamic-state

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What’s the pension like?

loddrik
    Free Member

I want to kill unbelievers and whores.

the-muffin-man

I joined for the free multi-tool.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Free multi-tool?! is that just for new subscribers or can anyone get it?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@seosamh thanks yes very interesting. I am reading Emma Sky’s book “The Unraveling” and she speaks at length about the Kurdish / Sunni conflicts with Sadam ethnically cleansing Kurdish areas and installing Sunnis and about how they are now retaking them with a measure of revenge. Also you have the Shia/Sunni conflicts. Creates huge opportunities for disruptive groups to form. Also interesting how the article comments about how much of the Iraqi army was fake, ghost soldiers to allow officers to claim multiple salaries and certainly not interested in fighting.

What’s the pension like?

Widows are promised house and money for life, very good. Just read an article on that on the Guaurdian this morning link

Of course for the men its an eternal life with 72 virgins to keep you occupied

jambalaya
    Free Member

I joined for the free multi-tool.

🙂

I thought they only needed the large serrated beheading knife ?

the-muffin-man

Free multi-tool?! is that just for new subscribers or can anyone get it?

New converts only – it hasn’t arrived yet though and it’s been two months now. Heads will roll if it doesn’t turn up soon.

keithd
    Free Member

Are the 72 virgins continually replaced after use?

tinribz
    Free Member

Emasculation of western society.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

@seosamh
    thanks yes very interesting. I am reading Emma Sky’s book “The Unraveling” and she speaks at length about the Kurdish / Sunni conflicts with Sadam ethnically cleansing Kurdish areas and installing Sunnis and about how they are now retaking them with a measure of revenge. Also you have the Shia/Sunni conflicts. Creates huge opportunities for disruptive groups to form. Also interesting how the article comments about how much of the Iraqi army was fake, ghost soldiers to allow officers to claim multiple salaries and certainly not interested in fighting.

I’ll maybe take a look at that book, sounds interesting.

Aye, I think a quagmire is somewhat lacking in descriptive terms for what is actually happening over there, I see no end to it. Even if the current well publicised battles are resolved(unlikely), Assad, and islam state, the sunni/shia sectarianism. There’s still plenty to come, how will the turks for example react to a kurdish state on the southern border once the americans lose interest in bombing runs and arming them?

I think it’s more likely we’ll see further expansion and more conflicts arising.

Regarding Islamic state though, it’s interesting how some locals view them as a vehicle against what they perceive as forces that have failed them and also how fluid they seem to be. Strikes me that we view this as a conventional war against IS, but it’s not really, it’s a quasi conventional war, with alot of aspects of a guerilla war added in there. So somewhat more difficult to fight as they aren’t always visible and are willing to give up territory at the drop of a hat. As I say IS strike me as very fluid, and i think it’s a tactic they’ll export/they are exporting elsewhere in the world.

They aren’t going anywhere soon imo. We need to start thinking outside the box about how to deal with them, as war alone won’t deal do it, imo.

binners

Of course for the men its an eternal life with 72 virgins to keep you occupied

72 virgins? That just sounds like an IT department. Who’d want that for eternity?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Many of those who join Islamic state must do it after being brainwashed by Saudi funded Wahhabism:

an undercover reporter for Channel 4 filmed preachers and obtained DVDs and books inside mosques which were filled with hate-filled invective against Christians and Jews. They condemned democracy and called for jihad. They presented women as intellectually congenitally deficient and in need of beating when they transgressed Islamic dress codes. They said that children over the age of 10 should be hit if they did not pray. Again the main mosque chosen for exposure was influenced and funded from Saudi Arabia.

Saudi spending on religious causes abroad as between $2bn [£960m] and $3bn per year since 1975 (comparing favourably with what was the annual Soviet propaganda budget of $1bn), which has been spent on 1,500 mosques, 210 Islamic centres and dozens of Muslim academies and schools

Of course, the allure of Weapons provided by the CIA and MI6 must help:

Reports were cited that MI6 had cooperated with the CIA on a “rat line” of arms transfers from Libyan stockpiles to the Syrian rebels in 2012 after the fall of the Gaddafi regime

scruff9252

We need to start thinking outside the box about how to deal with them, as war alone won’t deal with them.

Well quite. I think it’s fair to say our tactic of the last 15 years of bombing the **** out of the place for peace hasn’t exactly worked.

maccruiskeen

Also you have the Shia/Sunni conflicts.

It all started going wrong for Sunni and Shi-ah after the release of their fifth album ‘All I ever need is you’ in 1971.

footflaps

Well quite. I think it’s fair to say our tactic of the last 15 years of bombing the **** out of the place for peace hasn’t exactly worked.

Stop this nonsense. The policy is right and fair, it just needs to be more firmly applied.

Therefore we need to bomb even more the **** out of them to resolve the issue.

allthepies
    Free Member

I was promised a free Mint Sauce keyring.

I woz disappoint.

Northwind

From the west’s point of view, we need to find everyone in power who’s ever thought “the enemy of my enemy is my friend”, and beat them with croquet mallets. It’s such a central pillar of our foreign policy and it’s just obviously utter pish.

rene59
    Free Member

Same reason for taking up smoking?

It looks cool.

binners

Black is very slimming

slowoldman

Now that’s a very good point.

Though I thought it was 7. Are they having trouble recruiting?

mrchrispy

it was the uniform that got me….that and the mint sauce keyring.

kilo

IS makes the Jihad come alive.

maccruiskeen

Anne Widdecome is a virgin – so dwell on 72 of them for a moment

Theres no need for replenishment ‘after use’ – your 72 virgins are pretty much guaranteed for remain virgins.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners, you are on a roll and nice work @macc too 😀

@seaos – yes agreed. It was this excellent interview which lead me to buy the book

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOHYuLui1TM[/video]

From the west’s point of view, we need to find everyone in power who’s ever thought “the enemy of my enemy is my friend”, and beat them with croquet mallets. It’s such a central pillar of our foreign policy and it’s just obviously utter pish.

Northwind, Emma Sky says above that many Iraqi’s chose IS as the least bad option, people do that all the time including Western governments. Middle East is ferociously complicated. Remember our parliament voted not to get involved in Syria at an earlier stage when perhaps the outcome might have been different. Its hard to imagine it might have been worse.

crankboy
    Free Member

Before accepting the deal always think carefully about the sort of person who winds up in the afterlife a virgin.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    …Of course for the men its an eternal life with 72 virgins to keep you occupied

The reason they’re virgins is because after the martyr explodes, the devirginating part is never found…

duckman

What kind of multitool? If it is the crappy free with mag kind then has..But one of those swanky lezyne numbers..Oh now…

integerspin
    Free Member

Free AK47 and black clothes, who could say no.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Theres no need for replenishment ‘after use’ – your 72 virgins are pretty much guaranteed for remain virgins.

After the dust had settled he was a little surprised to find heaven looked a lot like Games Workshop.

stewartc
    Free Member

The standard black clothing is very slimming and the beards hide a multitude of sins without coming across as a bit too hipsterish, if they could relax there attitude to bacon and beer I would possibly consider.

On a more serious note, we only see whats shown in the western press, there are probably many reasons why they attract people from around the world, local grievances, local politics, a feeling of alienation in the western word, its what their mates are doing etc.

wicki
    Free Member

Why join IS ?

I guess for many it’s a case of well I’m gonna die any way at least this way I get a bit of a chance, and for the westerners lets face it capitalism is failing a lot of people right now, bored youth with no hope of any future need work or they end up looking for a purpose to exsist out side the norm.

slowoldman

Free AK47 and black clothes, who could say no.

Anyone heard from chewkw?

DrJ

72 virgins? That just sounds like an IT department. Who’d want that for eternity?

5thElefant
    Free Member

That lot spend all their time fantasing about living in a medieval world, wholesale slaughter and taking slaves. Not hard to see the appeal of IS to teenagers.

nickc

It’s such a central pillar of our foreign policy and it’s just obviously utter pish.

along with the other hoary old chestnut of “shooting brown people until they do what we want/gives us what we want, for free” ?

It’s worked for the last 400 years, I can’t see it stopping anytime soon.

Right, I’m off to join IS (the Hebden Front) I’m staging a takeover of the capitalist running dogs that is; Penine Cheese and Wine “Join me brothers, in the glorious revolution!!!”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cheese and wine shop ….FFS another bourgeois revolutionary…. Shakes head plans attack on the pound bakery and witherspoons

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just finished this as a holiday read

Good explanation

binners

Pennine Cheese and Wine? Now there’s a cause worth dying for! You can keep your bloody 72 virgins.

I’m wih you comrade!!

*tools up*

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve posted this before, well worth watching 3 mins long. Shows a class being given in Luton to British Muslim women about the benefits of the caliphate.

In France (nr Grenoble) a man has been beheaded and Islamist flag been found at the scene

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtVrgGww9iA[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Why Join Islamic State?’ is closed to new replies.