Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Why is Viewranger OS mapping so much cheaper than for Garmin?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Hi,

I purchased the entire UK OS mapping in Viewranger for £70 last year. I have subsequently purcahsed a Garmin Edge 810 and want the same mapping on my Garmin. Seems that to buy the same maps for the Garmin costs > £100

Anyone know whether there is an app that will enable me to use the Viewranger OS files and convert them to work on the Garmin?

Thanks

zilog6128

Not possible AFAIK – the licence for the OS maps you bought allows you to use them with Viewranger only; it doesn’t give you carte blanche to use them with whatever software you like so you’ll have to pay gain to use them with Garmin.

Someone will be along soon with a link to some pirated OS maps for Garmin I’m sure! 🙂

Personally I would recommend just using the OSM-style maps instead, which are great and have the advantage of being free.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Personally I would recommend just using the OSM-style maps instead, which are great and have the advantage of being free.

That is what I currently have on the Garmin, but when I was out riding yesterday there were a lot of trails that didn’t appear on the screen. I think I have Open Cycle Map

nickjb
    Free Member

Or get a rugged phone and use your Viewranger maps. You can put in on 3 devices I think

zilog6128

There’s a specific MTB version (OpenMTB) available – I’ve never used it but it’s worth a go; may have more trails on it.

Or get a rugged phone and use your Viewranger maps. You can put in on 3 devices I think

This is what I do FWIW. I don’t really use my Garmin for off-road navigation but have OS & OSM maps on Viewranger on my iPhone so I can just have a quick look at that if I get lost!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Why is Viewranger OS mapping so much cheaper than for Garmin?’ is closed to new replies.