Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why is there oil on the left stanchion on my revs?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

A small amount of oil is being pushed out of the seal on my dual air revs, performance seems unaffectec. I've just topped up the air levels quite significantly. Should I be worried.

Concerned of Hemel Hempstead

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Because the oil seal has failed.

It's only lubrication oil, but get it sored pronto or it'll start to affect the action of the fork, as it dries out and then wears out internally… And oil will end up on your disc as well….

LoCo
    Free Member

Poddy beats me to the correct response, again. 😮

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Cheers guys, hard/expensive?

LoCo
    Free Member

Easyish, various service guides on line and on SRAM website, parts seals oil e.t.c drop me a line 😉 Alternatively if you don't feel confident I service all Rockshox units too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Strip down requited, and some new seals. it's hard to say exactly what seals you have in there, but some RS forks have, below the grey dust seal, a foam ring then a seperate black oil seal. That black oil seal is a standard hydraulic ram seal and can be bought quite cheaply (£1-ish). from a bearing/hydraulic supplier. If there's no 2nd black seal, you need the grey dust seals instead
    3rd one down here
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Fork-Spare-Parts

To be fair though, if you're having them apart anyway, you might as well do a full service, and it's not that much more to seNd the fork off to TFTuned to do the job than it is to buy all the parts, seals and oil yourself. And they resize the bushings too, as part of a service, which you can't do yourself and makes a big difference.

It's not a hard job to do a full service (IMO) but you need a few tools (e.g. – 24mm socket, circlip pliers) and a reasonable level of mechanical experience to DIY 🙂

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Just had a chat with the mechanic at my lbs he mentioned that this happens quite a bit this year as heat makes oil thinner – think I'll monitor the situation for a week

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why is there oil on the left stanchion on my revs?’ is closed to new replies.