Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Why is there a REV Counter in most cars?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm not sure I've driven a car without one, but I guess there may be ones out there without one. What are they for…as in what good are they in a 1.6 pretty gutless diesel van like mine? I can understand their use in a high performance motor where you want to change gear at a specific point. Mine has a red zone that if I was approaching being in it, I shouldn't be even be driving the thing anyway…given the engine noise would be ear splitting.

Am I missing something hugely obvious that will make driving a van a whole lot more fun? Couldn't we have a more useful dial in there?

porter_jamie

marketing

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good point 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

because when Bachman-Turner Overdrive are playing nice and loud you cant hear the revs. 🙄 duh!

GrahamS

If you are my father-in-law then they are for ensuring you never go above 1000rpm because it is "bad for fuel economy".

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

My Ford Ka didn't have one and it was really annoying. I used to rely on listening to the engine for when to change up, but you couldn't do that if the radio was on or the window was down so a counter would have been handy.
    And if I feel like being economical, I use the rev counter to keep the revs below 2000rpm everywhere which, again you can't really do by ear.

*Edit – I am Graham's father in law.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can hear fcku all in my van when it's moving anyway. Ok, cool, I'll keep a closer eye on the counter in future.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will there be a table of suggested gear changing points in my owner's manual?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

It makes me feel like a racing driver

Kuco

My work van sounds like it's revving it's bollocks off and it's only at 3500. Then again your got to rev it's bollocks of to make the piece of shit go anywhere.

ebygomm
    Free Member

My old Micra didn't have a rev counter, it was a bit annoying actually because sometimes I'd forget I'd started it (really quiet at idle) and turn the key again and then it makes that horrible noise!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i use mine a lot as the speedo has a habit of getting stuck

yunki
    Free Member

my Punto doesn't have one…

Unfortunately it also has no sound deadening.. so I can't hear the engine.. or the stereo.. or the passenger speaking.. or myself think..

I just used intuition and experience to change gear but this wasn't much help when my carburettor kept jamming open.. or when my clutch started wearing out.. or for that matter when the head gasket started to fail.. either time.. or when the gearbox wore out.. or… or…. or… or…

porter_jamie

GrahamS – Member

If you are my father-in-law then they are for ensuring you never go above 1000rpm because it is "bad for fuel economy".

i think they teach people this in china – i went in several taxis and minibuses, and not one of them used more than 1500rpm, ever, at all. Even when a lorry was bearing down on us and we had seconds to live, instead of dropping a gear or even two, the driver just put it into 4th and pressed the accelerator (going maybe 15mph). The engine was jumping off it's mounts! According to Brits out there they (the locals) all do it. Really really odd. They think it saves fuel, but patently it does not, and puts massive load on the drivetrain. Think grinding up a hill in big ring v. granny at the same speed – which one do your knees like most?

Harry_the_Spider

It used to give me 5 seconds notice of an impending electrical total existance failure on my old Fiat Bravo.

Twitchy rev counter = Twitchy bum time

GrahamS

They think it saves fuel, but patently it does not, and puts massive load on the drivetrain. Think grinding up a hill in big ring v. granny at the same speed – which one do your knees like most?

I've had the same conversation with my father-in-law (or possibly Fortunateson09) and he remains unconvinced. I'm sure there is a lot to be said for low revs – but I can hear his poor car crying as it valiantly struggles to drag five adults plus a mobility scooter up a hill in fifth at 20 mph. 😯

tron
    Free Member

It helps you to make good gear changes, and if you're deaf as post, gives you some indication of how the car's revving. That's why old people all manoeuvre at half throttle, engine screaming at 3500 revs, and everyone in the car park hoping to god that the clutch cable fitted by Mr Nagano at Datsun in 1976 is going to hold.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Our Focus also has a little red arrow that points up when you get over about 6000rpm. I've never had a car with a shift light and it's great! (I have had one on a bike though)
    So you can use all the revs and keep your eyes on the road with a wary eye out for the little red light. 😀

myheadsashed

Change up when you hit the limiter works for me 😳

GrahamS

And PeterPoddy by the sounds of it. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Is it not so you can tell people your diesel turbo generates 170bhp at only 2500rpm?

nickc

Same reason cars come with Alloys?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Rev counters are ace.

uplink
    Free Member

I remember being amazed at the rev counter on Bill Ivy's 1969 125 Yamaha

It started at 14,000

molgrips
    Free Member

I learned to drive in a car without a rev counter or a limiter, you were never sure how far you could push it in each gear!

Someone I used to know, her mum never let the revs go above about 1100rpm – seriously, it was 6-700rpm mostly. And she got frustrated with lack of progress so shoved her foot to the boards. Poor bloody car.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Our 85bhp Jimny has one… 😆

Have found a rev counter essential in some cars, pointless in others.

Samuri – you don't bore people with bhp, you bore them with torque figures if you drive a turbodiesel 😉

CountZero

Samuri – you don't bore people with bhp, you bore them with torque figures if you drive a turbodiesel

If you're the proud owner of a car with a three litre V6 TDi, you can do both. One day I might be that lucky.

konabunny
    Free Member

I always thought it was like a geiger counter for vicars.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Will there be a table of suggested gear changing points in my owner's manual?

I think there is. There is certainly graphs and charts showing maximum power output etc in some I have bothered to look at.

trail_rat
    Free Member

first car didnt have one …. who knew that a diesel fiesta could do 30 in first gear ….. it didnt have a limiter it just ran out of puff on the pump !

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If you're the proud owner of a car with a three litre V6 TDi, you can do both. One day I might be that lucky.

V6TDI = Audi = only 240ish bhp 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mat, I am quite sure everyone on this forum knows how amazing your car is already.
    8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mat, I am quite sure everyone on this forum knows how amazing your car is already.

Oh and of course you never ever mention your TT… 😆 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps occasionally, but I don't think I have a chance of taking your crown. 🙂

(And I have never actually posted a picture of it…)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That's because you are a keyboard warrior and actually only own a Fiesta…

😆

Still jealous of your shopping trolley double buggy though – now THAT is cool.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

TT? oooh…I bet you use your rev counter lots. 8)

Tried some eyes closed driving in the van this morning…to feel the engine telling me when to change up. I felt I was really in tune with the 1.6 diesel. We were as one.

Our other car simply orders us when to change up or down for the most economical driving 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Eyes closed driving – ermmmm…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not for the uninitiated 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That's because you are a keyboard warrior and actually only own a Fiesta…

You never know… 😉

TT? oooh…I bet you use your rev counter lots.

I should be so lucky, since the girls came along it just gets used for the very short commute to work and rarely gets over 3k. (Lesson learnt – I won't sign a three year lease the next time).

And I must admit I have tried eyes closed driving several times. Ohh, and switch the lights off driving at night too. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Why is there a REV Counter in most cars?’ is closed to new replies.