Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • why is one form of maiming and killing
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

worse than an other? I don’t get it.

ourmaninthenorth

Well that narrows it down.

RobHilton
    Free Member

tis but a scratch

juanghia
    Free Member

Because one is more fun?

seosamh77
    Free Member

why are chemical weapons something to be horrified over, but bombs seem to be fine?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why is meat murder ?

scaredypants

in general terms, I think probably it’s felt to be one more hoop to go through to accuse someone of deliberately bombing civilians – as the weapon is “legitimate” in some circumstances it’s easy to say “oh, we thought the opposition was there; not civilians – silly us”
    Chemical weapons aren’t allowed at all, so “we meant to gas the opposition” isn’t a defence

piemonster

Because we use bombs on a regular basis, therefore it’s a more friendly form of killing.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I’m sure I don’t have an answer for this that doesn’t include lots of ums and er…s.

But in an attempt to offer something to ponder over: Bombs could be considered instantaneous, many/most people killed by a bomb will be dead within a second or so.

But those that are killed by chemical weapons will take much longer to die, which is arguably worse.

kayak23

Yes, we should only condone nice murder.

Cougar

I don’t know what I’m talking about, but would a chemical weapon not have more long-term effects? Lingering on in the atmosphere, tainting the ground, getting into the ecosystem perhaps? Propagated to other unintended areas by the wind?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I think that it’s because chemical weapons can be cheaply made and easily deployed so virtually any tinpot regime could make and use them , also the way they kill people could be said to be pretty horrific and drawn out even for those who die fastest whereas being bombed can be instantaneous if you are lucky . It’s like nuclear weapons , they can kill millions in one fell swoop but they aren’t banned because only very rich and technically advanced countries can afford to have them and are able to deliver them accurately and reliably . The countries that have them are also able to dictate , rightly or wrongly , that nobody else can be trusted to have them

tomhoward

Why is meat murder ?

Tasty, tasty murder…

Drac

Bombs tend to reasonably isolated especially modern ones, chemical attacks cover huge areas with many fatalities, some long painful deaths, many life changing injuries and effect more civilians. Both are not fine however.

funkmasterp

why are chemical weapons something to be horrified over, but bombs seem to be fine?

I’m saddened by both, but can see why, when conducting warfare, bombs are preferred to chemical weapons. As others have said, long term effects on the environment, speed of death and lingering side effects are probably the main reasons for why they are seen as worse.

lazybike
    Free Member

Spreading em all over the place with high explosives is fine because that’s what we do…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I don’t know what I’m talking about,

Me neither, tbh happy to stay out of the convo on this one, just interested in the range of opinion.

shermer75
    Free Member

Chemical weapons, like land mines and cluster bombs, are less discriminatory and therefore more likely to involve civilians.

seosamh77
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member
    therefore more likely to involve civilians.

We’ll maybe not completely stay out of it! 😆

Thing is, is the concept of a surgical strike not completely and utterly debunked? Not to mention that bombs, in all forms, from air to surface, mortars, IEDs etc, seem to cause an awful lot of civilian deaths. They don’t appear to be very discriminate.

Surely it’s the targeting that’s the important bit there? Once the target has been selected, I don’t really see much of a difference. The ecological idea seems fair enough, but a weak differentiation in the grand scheme. (particular when you consider depeleted uranium and the likes, and you’ve also white phosphorous that causes a horrible death to conter the other point.)

shermer75
    Free Member

It seems weird to try and apply rules and convention to a situation where, by definition, all other forms of diplomatic discourse have failed but it seems that this has always been the way.

I guess deep down there is a shared understanding between both sides that ‘we don’t want them do that particularly nasty thing to us so maybe if we both agree not to do it then maybe it won’t happen. Hopefully!!’ However, unfortunately and with great sadness, it looks like it doesn’t always work.

Northwind

piemonster – Member

Because we use bombs on a regular basis, therefore it’s a more friendly form of killing.

That’s a bit simple tbh- we used to use chemical weapons regularly, then we helped get them banned. The difference between conventional and chemical can’t be “we use conventional therefore it’s alright”, because the only reason we don’t use chemical is that we chose not to.

lazybike
    Free Member

Someone mentioned that chemical weapons are cheap to make, I would imagine that would be more of a concern to the arms industry than the manner of death.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Because we don’t sell them to Saudi Arabia and make billions so they are obviously really bad.

wilburt
    Free Member

Same reason fags are ok but cannabis isnt. and Alcohol is ok but cocaine isnt and its ok to harm people with cars but not axes.

So its ok to kill kids in the Yemen with bombs bought from us but an atrocity to kill kids in Syria because we didnt make any money from it.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

What about grey areas like depleted uranium munitions… rumour has it that along with nuclear weapons programs, that a large part of why we’re tied into nuclear power, despite the horrors of 3 mile island, Chernobyl and Fukushima.

Also, if chemical weapons are so bad, why does our Her Majesty’s government have a history of supplying them to questionable regimes and aiding their production… Saddam being a prime example.

Edukator
    Free Member

Then when civilians flee the chemicals, and British, French, American and Russian bombs the Germans are vilified by some on this very forum for giving them refuge, and Brits in general don’t want them because they’re “terrorists”. Flee in terror and you are automatically a terrorist.

And just who started all this? That’s right, Blair and his Christian mate Bush.

jimjam
    Free Member

wilburt

Same reason fags are ok but cannabis isnt. and Alcohol is ok but cocaine isnt and its ok to harm people with cars but not axes.

So its ok to kill kids in the Yemen with bombs bought from us but an atrocity to kill kids in Syria because we didnt make any money from it.

I see your glibness there but obviously, that’s the reason we are told in the most sensationalist way one thing is bad. It’s not the reason it is bad. The news media last night, along with the PM’s comments doesn’t make Saudi Arabia blowing up schools and hospitals alright, but there was a strange absence of that type of coverage, and there has been long term.

Maybe I missed it the broadcasts where Yemeni children were lying dying in the streets, and the condemnation from Theresa May or that guy who was there before her but I doubt it.

As others have said, I think chemical weapons are worse because they are more indiscriminate, less focused and capable of killing and maiming far more people over a bigger area than conventional explosives with the exception of nukes.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

also because bombs can be used to destroy hardware and infrastructure with human casualties seen as regrettable collateral damage rather than the target?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

…because just about every nation on Earth (with only one or two exceptions like NK) has signed a treaty banning their use.

Even before this was signed the European public were so shocked by what the heard/saw from the trenches of WW1 that it became political suicide to talk about using them. This did not prevent governments anticipating their future use in the run up to WW2 however – and issuing protection/preventative measures to their citizens.

In pure military terms chemical weapons are ineffective against protected targets, at best they force your opponent to don bulky uncomfortable clothing & respirators. Trained soldiers will be fully protected in less than 10 seconds if they are already in an environment where it is anticipated such weapons could be used.

So in short, they are horrendous, ineffective against enemy combatants and above all else are against the rules so not cricket!

Hope that helps.

ctk
    Free Member

Didn’t we/US use them in Fallujah?

milleboy
    Free Member

Didn’t we/US use them in Fallujah?

No, just cluster and phosphorus bombs. The US is good that way………

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Thing is, is the concept of a surgical strike not completely and utterly debunked? Not to mention that bombs, in all forms, from air to surface, mortars, IEDs etc, seem to cause an awful lot of civilian deaths. They don’t appear to be very discriminate.

Not really, generally civilian-combatant ratios have gone down.

If Iraq had been fought with dumb munitions, much of Iraq would have looked like Grozny during the Chechen war. Or Stalingrad.

Anyway, it’s great to see the Guardian getting in such a moral twist and regret over their anti-interventionist stance after this – after they slammed Hitchens.

Surely it’s the targeting that’s the important bit there? Once the target has been selected, I don’t really see much of a difference. The ecological idea seems fair enough, but a weak differentiation in the grand scheme. (particular when you consider depeleted uranium and the likes, and you’ve also white phosphorous that causes a horrible death to conter the other point.)

Along with the other points made, bombs don’t tend to kill first responders either.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ll spare you images of the birth defects caused by depleted uranium…

Last time I checked, the evidence for DU causing birth defects really wasn’t that great.

Iraqs mostly a case of multiple low doses of various industrial pollutants, possibly because of all the dirty crap they had to use during the sanctions.

Edukator
    Free Member

…because just about every nation on Earth (with only one or two exceptions like NK) has signed a treaty banning their use.

Syria hasn’t signed (Info Europe 1)

If Iraq had been fought with dumb munitions, much of Iraq would have looked like Grozny during the Chechen war. Or Stalingrad.

Footage of Syria and Iraq in Iraq looks a lot like those towns to me, not forgetting most of the buildings are concrete and much more resistant than brick, stone and wooden structures. The older villages made of mud brick are as flat as Stalingrad.

natrix
    Free Member

If I recall correctly some people were appalled by the injuries and long slow deaths arising from conventional munitions in WWI (not to mention the devastation) and thought that chemical weapons would be a more humane alternative, just like putting people to sleep, as if they’d all gone to the vets……

stevextc
    Free Member

Mostly because though explosive munitions CAN be misused they can also be used against military targets and can be made to explode in a certain radius.

Chemical weapons on the other hand are pretty much ineffective against any modern military (though I guess you could argue we could create nastier and nastier ones but the point is to avoid a race) and can’t be delivered to a set area due to wind etc. and are really only effective against civilians.

In the case of terrorist attacks any idiot can poison a whole cities water supply…

Edukator
    Free Member

In the case of terrorist attacks any idiot can poison a whole cities water supply…

A lot harder to do than you might think fortunately. Probably why it hasn’t been done AFAIK. I’m not about to start quoting confidential reports but your water supplier has considered this.

I seem to remember that, back in the cold war, somebody in NATO was trying to develop a lazer that could be used to permanently blind tank crews. (back in the days when they looked through periscopes. I suppose its all TV screen nowadays)

There was a huge fuss in the press as this was seen as far too barbaric. Presumably it was thought far more humane just to blow them up.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Chemical weapons are worse because they allow the press to publish pictures of dead children. How many times did you hear, “it looks like they are asleep – but they are DEAD!!” in the news in past 48 hours?

Pictures of children blown limb from limb won’t make the editorial cut, and a mother stricken with grief outside the rubble of a bombed out building is one that we are desensitised to.

There will be fuss, politicians will get their soundbites out, and then everyone can go back to ‘tut, tut, such a shame’

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘why is one form of maiming and killing’ is closed to new replies.