Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why is a google chrome crap
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

It is crap at shockwave as it crashes regularly and it takes so much resources and the same with mozilla. Keeping away from IE. I have a oldish pc (athlon 64 2.4, 2gb ram, win xp) and it can get so slow running chrome with flash going

J0N
    Free Member

I have an old 1.7Ghz celeron with 512 Ram. Google flies for me compared to firefox. Loads up fast and runs fine (almost – browser based PDF's are atrocious) Computer is nearly dead though so I'm geeking up for a new one soon.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Chrome works faster for me than Firefox, very few problems at all.

(2.8ghz celeron, 1.5 Gb ram, Ubuntu 9.10)

molgrips
    Free Member

Works for me, nicely.

BMC09
    Free Member

find chrome much better than firefox, firefox went sh*t after its latest update, so moved over to chrome on my brother's advice…. much smoother / quicker and i doubt i'll be going back….

ctznsmith
    Free Member

My guess is that XP is probably your underlying problem…is it the original install?

If so might be time for a new fresh install or switch to the wonderful world of linux. 🙂

sem
    Free Member

Chrome is fast, but it definitely chokes on a lot of pdfs.

cp

chrome is lightening quick on several machines I have it installed on.

xcgb
    Free Member

Works great for me on xp and mac (using it now)

tron
    Free Member

The mouse gestures add-ons are naff. So I use Firefox.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Chrome has limitations tho. It doesnt do FTP (if ya neeed to use it)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

OP – google 'chrome flash crash', your answer looks to be in one of the first two results, unless all the "chrome goes like greasy turds off a shovel on my machine" replies have shamed your browser into working faster.

There's plenty of suggestions on those links, but here's what caught my eye:

'Best answer – Blair (Googler) (Google Employee) Go to this answer

Hey everybody,

We’re excited to announce that Adobe Flash is now integrated into Google Chrome’s Stable channel by default. This integration will eliminate the need to install and update Flash Player separately. This reduces the security risk and issues related to using outdated versions. As of this week, your browser should automatically be updated with integrated Flash Player. To check, simply go to Tools > About Google Chrome.

To learn more about Adobe Flash integration, check out the Chromium Blog post here:
    http://blog.chromium.org/2010/06/enabling-adobe-flash-player-support-in.html

With regards to Shockwave Flash crashes, below are a few possible causes of the issue and work-arounds that may help. These do not work for everyone; please only make changes you feel comfortable making.

1. You may be on an outdated version of Google Chrome. Check if you are on the latest version by going to Tools > About Google Chrome.

2. You may have an out of date Sony driver that causes the crash. You can try downloading the update here:
    http://dlv.update.sony.net/pub/vaio/download/EP0000166578/EP0000166578.exe

3. Hardware acceleration of Adobe Flash may be causing crashes. Hardware acceleration is used to speed up performance of your graphics hardware. If your video drivers are outdated, hardware acceleration can cause issues with Flash. Try turning off hardware acceleration by right-clicking the video, selecting Settings, and deselecting the "hardware acceleration" checkbox.

4. You may have a sound driver incompatibility. Try the steps on the following site:
    http://www.bitconsultants.net/2009/fix-windows-7-flash-crashing-remote-desktop-issue/

5. There may be an error in the way Bluetooth handles streaming video. You can try renaming one of the Bluetooth files in System 32 folder. Go to My Computer > C: > Windows > System32, find the file called "BtwVdpCapFilter.dll" and rename it anything else, for example "BtwVdpCapFilter1.dll."

We know Shockwave Flash Crashes continue to be a large issue, and we are constantly working to improve. Please keep giving us feedback and letting us know what works for you.

Best,
    Blair'

FuzzyWuzzy

Chrome is my default browser and generally the quickest but it doesn't render a lot of stuff properly (I don't care if that's MS's fault for breaking the Internet I just want it to work :p )

Waderider
    Free Member

My personal problem with Chrome surrounds privacy. It's pretty bad.

If you value online privacy, do some research then make your mind up what to use.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Waderider, got a link to back that up?

I found two issues via a search, one (history bringing back secure info) which appears to not exist any more as far as I can see and two (Chrome sending info you type in the address bar to the search provider) which you can disable in the options.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Chrome always mis-renders pages for me, screws up the button bar above this box, isn't notably faster (fast computer) and I have questions about it privacy-wise – im just not QUITE comfortable with google knowing everything lol

avdave2

I was having issues with chrome and flash and removed flash and that seems to have sorted it. I guess there was a conflict with it and the upgraded chrome with integrated flash as I'd not had the problem in the past.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Must admit I've been loving Opera recently does everything so well and for some reason FF has been running slowly on my home PC. If it weren't for all the ad-ons especially those which shall not be named as well as the impending new version of FF I'd prolly ditch FF for Opera.

highclimber
    Free Member

I have had shockwave crash twice or three times so far. hasn't put me off it. I like it although it isn't universally supported by all websites.

spacemonkey

IMO Chrome is the quickest but lacks usability because it doesn't have the plugins that FF has. As for IE – pah, it's still sh1t.

FF for me everyday (although 4.0 beta doesn't like Flash)

speaker2animals

I have generally been impressed with Chrome, miles quicker on my machine than IE. Occasionally though as noted some interactive sites using Flash won't work/crash. However I switched to Chrome because IE didn't like internet banking for me at NatWest. Chrome works a treat.

Reading this though I wondered. Vimeo has always been crap and I assumed it was a setting on my laptop on my internet connection. Out of curiosity I thought I'd look at a video that I tried a couple of days ago which was chronic on Chrome. low and behold, runs miles better on IE. Never would have thought of the actual internet browser as affecting things like that.

So this post has at least done me some good. Thanks.

kitchenroll
    Free Member

i disabled internet explorer and only run chrome, only crashed when i have done something stupid, apart from that one time its been faultless,

(hp mini 110 1115sa netbook 1gb ram atom processor)

Rich
    Free Member

Chrome has been great and my browser of choice since it added the extensions facility.

johnfb
    Free Member

I use Chrome for printing (why oh why can firefox still not manage this) but i reckon its a bit slower than firefox on my XP system.

kiwijohn

I'm running Safari on XP on my work clunker. Click to Flash is a must have.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why is a google chrome crap’ is closed to new replies.