Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Why I won't be voting for CallMeDave.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member
    AndyRT
    Free Member

why?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Politics, education and religion…this one might run and run…

(When I moved to France, I was told in no uncertain terms that to avoid problems at work, I should never discuss politics, education and religion. Sage advice, given that I then saw colleagues having a full on fight over the subjects!)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I went to 'faith schools' and firmly believe that I'm educated better as a result.

AndyRT
    Free Member

so I ask again to Mr Woppit

Why?

MrAgreeable

Can't be bothered to read that article, but is he going to try and tell you which way round to have your speaker cables?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its enough to make you despair. Can we have some politicians of any hue with principles and integrity please? Is there nothing he will not do to curry favour?

Odious slimebag that he is.

shepleg
    Free Member

Christians and for that matter other religions are a minority of the general populous in this country, so why should there be faith based education in all our schools.

The issue of a belief system right and wrong e.t.c is a thorny one though but faith isn't going to be listened to by the vast majority of kids is it though?

naedeyw
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that you would therefore vote for him if it wasn't for this issue?

Didn't think so 🙄

shepleg
    Free Member

is anybody else slightly concerned by a lot of politicians believing in a big man in the sky? Look what happened when bush and blair got together stoking each others religious fervour.

uplink
    Free Member

Christians and for that matter of religions are a minority of the general populous in this country,

at the last census something like 77% claimed to be of one religion or another

shepleg
    Free Member

I stand corrected then, does that include Jedi and metal?

AndyRT
    Free Member

shepleg?

I am not a bible basher, but can't you follow the logic? If they are exposed to a religion, it is better than the rhetoric they face in general state schools, which would confuse the best of us. Also, the inclusion of social rules based upon sharing, being kind to each other etc, based upon a belief system somehow makes it more tangible for the kids, and leads to better moral standards.

So enough of this PC lets all live together in ethnicity central! This was and still is a Christian society, and I am very happy to know my son is being exposed to religious doctrine, however gently, as I doubt it will reinforce aggressive behaviour, narcotic dependency or anti social habits.

I'll leave that for secondary school

uplink
    Free Member

I stand corrected then, does that include Jedi and metal?

yes & no

http://www.vexen.co.uk/UK/religion.html

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's probably plenty of people that won't be voting for Dave for various reasons, but they don't feel the need to shout about it just to look cool to others on a bike forum….. 😈

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I would like to add that I've been a devoted atheist since my early teens, but I wholehearedly support the benefits of a faith-based education.

Let's not forget, we're note talking about religious dogma forced down children's throats from dawn til dusk, but I firmly believe that the overriding values held within faith schools are a benefit to society in the UK.

AndyRT
    Free Member

But does this leave us with a Labour government then?

Are the liberals a serious alternative?

I hope this doesn't mean we'll all leave the door open for the fascists again!

grumm
    Free Member

How exactly can you be allowed to have entrance/employment policies which explicitly discriminate on the grounds of religion, funded by the government? It's nonsense.

ahwiles
    Free Member

yup, he's just lost my vote.

(he wasn't getting it anyway, but there's another good reason)

faith schools are divisive; pink children get sent to one school, and brown children sent to another. All based on which 2000 year old book of poetry their parents consider to be sacred.

how is that healthy and good for society?

(gross generalisations have been applied)

mtbfix

Can we have some politicians of any hue with principles and integrity please?

Sorry, but you can't. Democracy, by design, favours those who are popular and not necessarily those who are right.

shepleg
    Free Member

Andy rt

Why are children going to find it easier to learn right and wrong, sharing, better through a Christian based learning frame work than any other?

Uplink

ta 0.7% Jedi knight 😆

joemarshall
    Free Member

social rules based upon sharing, being kind to each other etc, based upon a belief system somehow makes it more tangible for the kids, and leads to better moral standards.

Really? How does Ireland fit into this as an example – a society explicitly based on the 'better moral standards' of christianity, where for some sad reason, 'better moral standards' have been perverted to include widespread turning of a blind eye to organised paedophilia and child abuse?

Or Saudi Arabia – are those 'better moral standards' that they have out there with their particular lovely religion?

Not that I have a problem with people believing in gods, but the idea that religious people are more moral, or otherwise superior to the rest, is kind of sad.

Joe

kimbers

This was and still is a Christian society

really? apart from a week off, shit loads of booze, tons of food and crazy consumerism at xmas

and then a few days off and loads of chocolates at easter

(both of which are quite obviously pagan winter and spring festivals respectively)

what exactly does christianity have to do with our society?

uplink
    Free Member

really? apart from a week off, shit loads of booze, tons of food and crazy consumerism at xmas

and then a few days off and loads of chocolates at easter

(both of which are quite obviously pagan winter and spring festivals respectively)

I can see this turning into a "what did the Romans ever do for us" discussion

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

there's something like 25 bishops with seats in the House of Lords

AndyRT
    Free Member

I'll get my coat

but before I go….

I don't believe I have sent my son to some sort of evil cult!

I think, as usual you have to base your opinions upon local info, to answer some of the other comments.

<running for the door>

jimster
    Free Member

Crap!!

So Golden Brown lies and is generally incompetent, Dave is a firm believer in faith schools and will stir-up whatever through "The Mail" article – plus can't stand the grease ball.

So any viable alternatives?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I support faith schools, I think they have a lot to bring to education

Oxymoron warning.
    Aethists have no right to send their children to a non faith school but any faith can go to their nearest school at taxpayers expense – hardly fair.
    Essentially teaching an opinion – with literally no tangible evidence to support it except faith – hardly education at all.
    It is not good to mix faith/opinion and education.
    Why should the state indoctrinate kids at our expense? Not like the churches/mosques/synagogues are poor or even poor at indoctrinating is it?

porterclough
    Free Member

To clarify then – the Tories want to encourage more 'free schools', i.e., state funded but independently run. Some of these may be run by churches or other faith groups, or set up by parent coops, or something else.

I haven't looked into it in massive detail but I understand it's based on a model from Sweden.

The New Labour version of this is to hand control of 'academy' schools to creationist nutters like Peter Vardy (of the Reg Vardy car dealership family).

So, not much to choose between them if you think religion should be kept out of state schools, like in that hotbed of atheism, the USA.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member

Can we have some politicians of any hue with principles and integrity please?

Sorry, but you can't. Democracy, by design, favours those who are popular and not necessarily those who are right.

We used to get the odd one. Even the dreaded milk snatcher ( Thatcher) had principles and integrity even if they were odious. John Smith ( the best prime minister we never had??) robin cook, Edward Heath???

What do we get now – a see thry jellyfish and a cowardly lion!

anagallis_arvensis

I went to 'faith schools' and firmly believe that I'm educated better as a result.

Which is why you have zero ability to asses evidence then I suppose.

footflaps

you don't need evidence when you have faith 😉

You just believe what they tell you and 'know' everyone else is wrong.

CountZero

faith schools are divisive; pink children get sent to one school, and brown children sent to another. All based on which 2000 year old book of poetry their parents consider to be sacred.

So, care to elaborate on exactly which particular colour goes to which faith school?
    I shall be really fascinated to see just how you manage to divvy it up.

grumm
    Free Member

So, care to elaborate on exactly which particular colour goes to which faith school?
    I shall be really fascinated to see just how you manage to divvy it up.

Don't think there's any white kids at the local Muslim school.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Why I won't be voting for CallMeDave.’ is closed to new replies.