Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why have Cannondale dropped the flexi carbon joint on the scalpel?
  • vicbob
    Free Member

Does anyone know why Cannondale don’t use the carbon flex rear end on the Scalpel any more? The 2012 model had it but the 2013 has gone to a bearing affair although they still call it “zero pivot seat stay” any ideas? Also has anyone ridden an alloy front ended one, no longer produced?
    Thanks

Garry_Lager

Owned an Alu one for several years – superb bike and a great design. Surprisingly versatile as well – not the most helpful bike on the rough descents, but in terms of general out in the hills riding it was sound.

Not sure why they ditched the flexible stays, it seemed like the perfection of the soft tail idea. Have to be seen to be progressing I guess.

gar69
    Free Member

can only speculate that as they have dropped the 26 inch version (got a 2012,great bike) they found the 29er was too flexible with the carbon flex rear.

vicbob
    Free Member

Interesting, how was the clearance on the seat stays, do you reckon could you fit 650b on a 26 frame?

d45yth
    Free Member

Vicbob – Yes you can. Don’t know what the mud clearance is like but a few racers from the USA were/are doing just that.

gar69
    Free Member

it has been done read about several conversions,but its bloody tight… no good for uk mud !

vicbob
    Free Member

Cheers Guys, with the mud we get here it’s a non starter.
    Any other suggestions for a good lightweight 650b conversion?

Garry_Lager

Think I’ve seen some whippets running 650b put up on here. Towards the other end of the spectrum from a scalpel, but great bike for the money.

d45yth
    Free Member

Conversion you say…no need with a cheap 650B soft-tail! 😉
    STW Classifieds

vicbob
    Free Member

D45yth, interesting Siren, saw this one on e-bay. Not sure why the 650b interests me as everything I have is 26. All the 29ers I have ridden are all a bit cumbersome over fast twisting terain appart from the Tallboy which I can’t afford.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Prophet 650b conversion:

29.05lbs with not the best spec in Large and lighter than the Bronson 😉

vicbob
    Free Member

Nice, good clearance on the rear of a Prophet, I’ve got a Jekyll (old style) and this winters mud has stoped the rear wheel plenty of times.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why have Cannondale dropped the flexi carbon joint on the scalpel?’ is closed to new replies.