Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why have a best bike and ride another?
  • stoddys
    Free Member

I was out this morning on “my best bike” doing my normal Friday night loop. The last few Fridays I’ve been using my fully ridged 29er. ( perfectly Capibale for the ride) Today I was on my anthem 29er.
    It was sooooo much better on the anthem.
    So my question is why settle for another bike when our best bike douse it better?
    Is it time to cull the heard save the money to replace worn out parts more often and be happy with “our best bike”
    Don’t get me wrong different bikes do different things, road bike, fat bike. But some times our N+1 just is not worth it.

ajantom

Then you need another N+1 that does the job better 😉

All of my bikes work best for slightly different niches – though I’d ride them all on any terrain.

rOcKeTdOg

Is it time to cull the heard

Pardon?

hols2
    Free Member

So my question is why settle for another bike when our best bike douse it better?

So who does that, apart from you? Question is, why do you douse it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never got the best bike – by which i mean two bikes essentially the same but one is better

I have a FS, Road, CX, and SS …do want a hardtail again though but the SS is one.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I don’t see the point of having two similar bikes, you’ll always prefer one to another. But riding different styles of bikes can be fun, even though one may be more capable than the other. E.g. full suss over rigid or hardtail.

It’s also useful to have a spare in case one bike needs maintenance or a spare part, and riding simpler bikes in the winter makes sense.

funkmasterp

I’d like to say no but currently only have the one bike, so yeah N+1 is lame.

breadcrumb

Is it time to cull the heard

Pardon?

😆

breadcrumb

When I decided to rebuild my SS for child carrying duties*, I kept it rigid this time to make it different enough from my Solaris.

Otherwise I would of had two 29er trails HT, just with different numbers of gears.

rOcKeTdOg

Maybe it’s on fire?

tomhoward

All my bikes are best bikes, different tools for different jobs.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My Jekyll is great, but it’s wasted on my commute. Which is why I have other bikes.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ve recently come to the same conclusion myself! Cull incoming…

kerley
    Free Member

I only ever have one bike at a time so my best bike is my bike.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I sometimes question why I have several bikes. I’ve got a 456 built up on the heavy side which is definitely the bike that’s most able to do-it-all, from Cardinham to Gawton. But I think I just enjoy something different, a bit of variety.

One of the herd is an old XC machine built by the illustrious and widely respected Dave Hinde (ahem), paper thin frame, SIDs and V brakes etc. It’s out of it’s depth for most of the type of riding I enjoy, but there’s plenty of fun to be had on the ragged edge with it on quite tame terrain. But I wouldn’t want that on every ride.

If any of my bikes were worth reasonable money I couldn’t justify keeping them but they’re not really.

stoddys
    Free Member

Maybe it’s on fire?

Spelling is not my strong point. I was going to blame spell check. But the truth is I can’t spell. 😕

CheesybeanZ

Cull incoming…

Shirley thats outgoing …

N+1 would be incoming

rone

Lots of reasons.

Some rides are perfunctory or commute and just don’t warrant being on a swish bike for.

It’s also good to transfer some of the grind to a cheaper bike especially in the rough.

Sometimes you fancy a different ride in both senses of the word.

Different tools for different jobs as someone as just said.

graemecsl
    Free Member

Because my best bike keeps getting punctures, so I have to use my 2nd best which has slicks, on my normal loop which can get dodgy, lucky it’s really dry right now.

Interesting but useless fact, Slicks never puncture, no nobbles to flick up the thorns.

chestrockwell

I was of this view up until recently as I had plenty of bikes but only really used my Segment (or previous main bike). I liked my others but the best bike was always better. The second bike was usually a hard tail of some description with cast off parts from the best bike that had older geometry and everything that goes with that. Perfectly good bikes but not as good as the best bike so never really got used and when they did I wished I’d taken the better one.

Recently though I’d been wanting to get out more on some shorter blasts as I have limited time. The Segment is set up with SPD’s, no bottle cage and is a big old thing so not really the best tool for grabbing out of the garage and messing about in the local woods/moor with so I just picked up a P7 on c2w. It’s great and perfectly fills the gap I wanted. Modern feel so fits like the best bike, smaller size and wheels so better for chucking about, flats so trainers are go and a bottle cage so no need to for the camelback and cleaning that goes with that.

So much so that I don’t have any urge to buy another bike at the moment, which is weird and means I am struggling to find a use for the internet.

firestarter
    Free Member

I must say yesterday when doing local loop with my little lad and got to the wooded area at Halton Moor and Met lots of people in the woods trying to sneak into the temple newsam event it did make me ponder of my bike choice of Jones over pinnacle, especially after numerous stupid questions and requests for a quick blast

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve got one bike that is my definite go to and favourite bike for majority of what I do. However it doesn’t do everything. Well, it can, but I have bikes that do some stuff better or are more comfortable for that.

I could resort to one bike, but frequently there’s something that needs a repair and it’s much nice having extra bikes to pick from while one is out of action. Components are swappable generally on mine (wheel sizes less so at the moment, unless I settle on same size for all, but that means new bikes essentially).

dirtydog
    Free Member

Sometimes I need to leave my bike locked and unattended, you cant do that with a fancy bike, would love to use my best bikes everywhere.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I have one, I ride it. Its the bike I love why would I ride something less?

prawny

Meh, when you ride one bike all the time it won’t feel special. Then you’ll have to get a better one, eventually you’ll be spending ten grand to get the same feeling your anthem gave you.

And you’ll have fewer bikes. How can that ever be a good thing?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why have a best bike and ride another?’ is closed to new replies.