Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Why hasn't Chris Froome being Knighted?
  • bigwill
    Free Member

With 3 TdF wins under his belt and a good chance of a 4th, unless I’ve just cursed him. why hasn’t he being knighted yet? Wiggo wins one and he gets the full honour ( I know he won plenty on the track as well). Does Her Maj know something I don’t?

CheesybeanZ

Who ?

thepurist

I reckon her maj thinks he’s a bit foreign,so after Brexit it’s all British knighthoods for British people. 🙂

jekkyl

Probably something to do with his 5 olympic gold medals. Wiggo that is.

wilburt
    Free Member

I think you answered your own question with the Wiggo’s done other stuff caveat. Thats not to say he(Froome) wont be up for gong now.

LMT
    Free Member

He needs 5 tdf wins to get a knighthood and maybe live in the uk??

CraigW
    Free Member

Because he’s Kenyan.

Garry_Lager

He’s not really British at all in a meaningful sense – has he ever spent any time here in his life? Prob makes a difference in these sort of things. Deserves a knighthood like, I’d just expect it to take a bit longer.

TiRed

Needs to retire first. A fifth TDF win to add to the one he should win on Sunday would help.

Apparently it’s two Olympic Golds on the track. But not in the water. Never did understand that.

legend
    Free Member

Yup, Kenyan

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Apparently it’s two Olympic Golds on the track. But not in the water. Never did understand that.

Cycling these days is a bit more like swimming than track in that respect I’d think, but historically it’s been much easier more likely you’d win multiple medals, at the same games, in the pool.

teef
    Free Member

Perhaps he has being offered it but has too much self respect and turned it down. Three Tour wins are the real honours not some worthless title.
    As Richard Feynman says:

shermer75
    Free Member

Don’t you have to get a SPOTY first?

bigwill
    Free Member

Teef I’m with you on that. If I was that good I’d take 3 tour wins over a gong. The Kenyan bit I can 1/2 get but he’s more British than Ryan Giggs is Welsh, just depends where your allegiances lie.

taxi25
    Free Member

Needs to retire first.

This no active sportsman should receive a knighthood or be made a Dame. Couple of years post career charity work or grass roots involvement should be the minimum.

Markie
    Free Member

Another thing to add to the mix is that Wiggins has shown that no cyclists should be considered as 100% certain to be clean. They might not want to get caught up in more doping messiness.

nickjb
    Free Member

It wasn’t that long ago that you just needed to turn up and smile and you’d get spoty or a gong but we are better at sports now. Standards are much higher these days

edlong
    Free Member

Perhaps he has being offered it but has too much self respect and turned it down.

..but accepted an OBE, last year?

winston
    Free Member

Everytime I hear a top sportsperson (or other celebrity) introduced as Sir this or Dame that it makes me want to throw up.

Its their (very well paid) job ffs. Any charity work is a byproduct of the profession and they get plenty of time off plus expenses to indulge in it too.

Just part of the sponsorship package really.

salad_dodger

If Froome has missed out because “he’s a bit foreign” and also doesn’t spend any time in the UK, how come druggie Mo Farah got a knighthood?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure a question phrased that way deserves an answer, but Mo has spent a lot more time in the UK than Froome. Not that I think that’s the criterion.

Garry_Lager

Mo grew up in the UK and has a personality – he chooses to engage, the public warm to him. Froome is second generation Kenyan (I think his late mum was born there?), lives in Monaco, and we can only speculate as to him having a personality.

His sporting prowess dwarfs all of these considerations, of course, but there must be an element of public interest considered when they’re handing out knighthoods. To sporting figures at least.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Chippy – no
    Northern – no
    Bit of an ar£e – no
    PEDs – who knows?

No chance – great cyclist though

salad_dodger

Apologies aracer, my question wasn’t intended to come across that way. Sorry.

nealglover
    Free Member

Everytime I hear a top sportsperson (or other celebrity) introduced as Sir this or Dame that it makes me want to throw up.

You should see a doctor (or a psychologist) that’s not normal.

jimbobo
    Free Member

Pretty sure wiggins isn’t very northern…

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Winning one race a year doesn’t make you great, plus the questionable training camps in Africa with no drug testing too many doubts and questions over him! Plus he’s unlikeable snivelling weasel!?

Klunk
    Free Member

maybe he’ll do a
    david bowie, Danny Boyle, Alan Bennett, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney, Stephen Hawking etc and tell ’em to shove it.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

How north is Belgium ????

MoreCashThanDash

So no knighthoods for Kenyan born cyclists?

I might as well just give in now, then. 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wiggins won Olympic medals since Sydney in 2000 I recall then won the TdF when it seemed “impossible” for a Brit to win. I am sure Froome will be considered for one, he’ll only be offered it if he indicates he’d accept ( have heard that first hand from a Dame as to how the process works)

aP
    Free Member

Maybe Froome ought to tell jokes about performing sex acts at a children’s charity event before he gets offered a K.

At the Firecracker Ball in aid of Barnardo’s children’s charity, Hammond approached Wiggins, who had donated a signed shirt for the auction, the cyclist’s face then appeared on a giant video screen as he told the host: “You’ve got a posh voice. I like posh voices. S*** me off.”

onandon
    Free Member

Because he’s a sour faces prick. Can’t stand the guy and I guess the queen agrees.

BoardinBob

he’s more British than Ryan Giggs is Welsh

Giggs, who was born in Wales, to a Welsh father and spent the first 6 years of his life living in Wales?

Yip, barely Welsh.

Compared to Froome who was born in Kenya to English expats and has never lived in the UK…

cheers_drive

5 years ago many people thought Froome was an arse who was unloyal to the cool Wiggins. Now Froome has been shown to be a decent bloke (if a little dull in interviews) and Wiggins an knob with questionable PED usage.

cheese@4p

Knighthood schmighthood, load of cap doffing crap.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Since when does your nationality depend on where you actually live? My brother has spend the last 20 years living all over the world, his son is 11 years old, born to my brother and his Russian wife and only been in the UK for the last 3 years. But most of his life he’s moved around to different countries every 3 yeas, so what nationality is he? By the test that your nationality depends on where you’ve lived most in your life my brothers son has no nationality because he hasn’t lived in any one country longer than any other.

Also how long do you have to live in another country before you lose your own British nationality?

Also if someone moves to this country, goes through all the correct procedure to achieve British nationality, how long before we consider them British?

It’s a bit of a ridiculous way to determine someones nationality.

tomj
    Free Member

I think it’s at least partly because the bar has been raised in terms of British sporting success. One tennis commentator pointed out that not so long ago you got an MBE for making the third round of Wimbledon. Now we have two players who people expect to go a long way.
    So five years ago you’d probably get a knighthood for winning the tour. Now it’s kind of expected!!

metalheart
    Free Member

Have you seen the state that British Cycling is in?

Have we resolved the Jiffy bag shit yet?

The shine has worn off cycling at present.

Perhaps best sit it out and see how it all plays before handing out any more gongs, eh?

bikebouy
    Free Member

How do you give a knighthood to an Octopus ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Why hasn't Chris Froome being Knighted?’ is closed to new replies.